“Relaxed and back from Las Brisas Huatulco”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed 26 March 2006

The flight from Toronto to Huatulco was uneventful. We flew with Sunwing. As with every chartered flight not much legroom but I must say the customer service @ Sunwing surpasses all other chartered airlines. I have always found the flight attendants very friendly and attentive. Our return flight was on time and uneventful, however the in-flight movie system wasn’t working correctly and half the plane did not have sound. Being a late flight I didn’t mind I slept most of the way.

Huatulco Airport was small the baggage claim was quick and customs well was not so quick. We were lucky they only check baggage randomly you push a button and if the street light turns green your free to go if it’s red they would go through your bags. Only one couple in our party had there bags checked.

On are way out of the country was a different story. The flight check-in was quick we waited for 2 hours in the Airport for our flight. Beware the area where you wait is not air conditioned. Change before you board the plane. The Airport is open which allows the air to circulate but it can be warm midday so if your scheduled flight is midday wear cool clothes. There were 2 planes scheduled to depart about 30 to 45 min ahead of us, 2 Sunquest flights, one heading for Toronto and the other Winnipeg. This made the airport area very busy and the boarding area (air-conditioned) was crammed. It made for a lengthy stay and caused a lot of confusion when they were calling to have one flight boarded when another one was filling the room. Oh almost forgot they only have one! Yes one baggage security scanner which caused the wait in that area to be long and annoying. Remember try to be on time to beet the crowd. All that said we arrived in Toronto on time.

The drive to the hotel from the airport is about 30-45 min. Very nice scenery we drove through La Crucecita very clean and nice city. We finally arrived check in was quick, I was not impressed with the lobby which made us a little apprehensive. Since we arrived late around 9pm the Sunwing rep suggested that we go ahead and eat in the buffet before we headed to the room. It also helped her deal with the back log of guest being brought to their rooms. We thought it was a good idea instead of unnecessarily waiting inline. Since it was the end of the evening the buffet food was limited which is understandable. The food was OK but limited and sometimes cold.

By the time we went back to the lobby there was no line up and we where whisked up to our room in no time. We had requested ahead to have adjoining or neighboring rooms with another couple our request was granted. Remember when booking that if you book two rooms at a time your eligible for an upgrade to the beach club section. We were not privy to that information when booking so we missed out. We were placed in the Estrellas (stars) section in the Mirach building on the top floor. The rooms were nice clean and what a view!! The bathrooms were a little dated. But the rooms are getting renovated one by one. Free safe and mini bar with 2 soft drinks 2 bottles of water and 2 Sol Beers. Tip if you don’t use them put them in the closet they won’t give you anymore the following day if you don’t use them. I found the maid service to be impeccable! Our linens were changed every day the bathroom and room floors were swept and cleaned daily. This was the first place we visited when our room was clean every day before lunch which was nice. Towel art on some days, I cannot say enough about the maid service bravo!

I need to tell you about the history of this resort it’s important for every one to know. It will help you understand why the resort is the way it is. The resort was previously owned by Club Med Hotels. After 9-11 the resort chain was going belly up and they had to sell some of there unprofitable locations. This was unfortunately one of them. The resort stayed empty and abandoned for about 4 years. When the Las Bisas chain bought the property and began a multi million dollar renovation of the facilities which is still on going. Don’t be alarmed I never heard or saw any construction. But this little piece of information will give you a better understanding why some areas seem a little run down like the Lobby, some of the rooms and the buffet. The resort has lots of character and will grow on you the more you stay you will realize it really deserves its 4 ½ star rating.

The resort itself is beautiful lovely gardens of flowers, palms and cactuses. Walking around the resort area is wonderful lots of iguanas. The resort is 4 villages all perch on different sides of a cliff. The Mar (beach) side has balconies and those rooms were renovated. The others Estrellas (stars), Nubes (clouds) and Montanas (mountains) all have views of the bay or the ocean. We never spent time at the pools we are beach people. There are 3 private golden sand beaches one for snorkeling, one to lounge and the other is the activities beach. We preferred the activities beach as there was always a palapa available, be warned that the water is a little rougher at this beach and it does get deeper than the others. The locations of these beaches are better than Tangalunda beach the water is calmer and safer to swim in and best of all private no hagglers!! I personally find the view also better!! Ahh! And Wait service on each beach una cervesa porfavor!

The activities team did what they could do to keep people (who wanted to be) entertained. They never pushed people to participate. The nightly entertainment at this resort was poor the disco was always empty and well on most nights they did not have nightly shows. The resort band was good and I found it a good alternative. The evenings were relaxed and quiet but much appreciated after spending all day on excursions or on the beach. This also pushed people to go into town for the evening. La Crucecita has a couple of bars and restaurants and the taxi there is really cheap and it’s worth a visit. The restaurants we tried were Senior Cactus and Tostados Grill were good and the Popaya disco is great! I have to say go to town you’ll enjoy it and it’s good to support the local economy day or night!

We also went on two excursions the 7 bays tour which is not to be missed and the ATV tour which was well worth the money spent. We also went Sea Doing off the resort beach lots of fun.

The buffet was well a resort buffet need I say more. I swear they must all use the same hand book they all serve the same food!! The food was good and a good variety. We enjoyed the Mexican a-la carte and the Moroccan a-la carte. We didn’t try the Asian as other reviewers thought it wasn’t great. One pet peeve of mine is the patrons that don’t respect the dress code! Common fellow Canadians we would never go out for supper wearing a beach dress or bathing suites at home! Respect the rules! I was embarrassed seeing people wearing this kind of attire, truly distasteful! In all of my travels I never saw such disregard of this rule. I never understood the necessity of this rule before. But after this trip I understand why we need this rule to be enforced. Most of us spend hard earned cash to go to these places and it’s just part of making the dinning experience a better one. I found that the few people who observed the rule one day just thought that they should join the majority (of CANDIANS) that weren’t the next. Well our group and I refused and so should future patrons.

Again I have to say go to town you’ll enjoy it, support the local economy day or night!
Huatulco is great area I loved it for its beautiful beaches, scenery and the wonderful Oaxacan people. I will return and I will certainly recommend Las Brisas as a Resort.

• Stayed: February 2006
40  Thank CanSunSeeker
Write a ReviewReviews (4,572)

Reviewed 22 March 2006

I just came back to my home in Winnipeg, Canada from staying for a week at Las Brisas in Huatulco. It was amazing!! I am soooo sad to be home, especially since my parents are staying there for another week, and I am going to miss all the people. :( I'm sixteen years old, and I have been to both Puerto Vallarta, and Playa del Carmen in Mexico, and I'll say that no matter what your age is, you'll love it here. For those of you though that enjoy Americanized places (like those of Puerto Vallarta or Cancun), this probably isn't what you're looking for. This is a place to come to relax and get away from it all. The town is small and very friendly. The locals are all very nice, some do speak English pretty good, but others not so much. From Las Brisas into town, it'll only take about a 3 minute taxi ride. At the hotel, all of the staff are sooooo nice and lots of fun. We stayed in the estrellas section of the hotel; it was alright. I didn't mind that much though, because we didn't stay in our room very much. All of the restaurants there are pretty good. They have both American food and traditional Mexican food like "Mole". (it's not mole, its pronounced "mol-eh") lol. It's always hot there, never any clouds or rain when we were there. And out of 7 days, there were only 2 days where it was a bit windier. I made great friends with all the sports guys, and everyone there is so nice. I would highly recommend this place for anyone who wants a relaxing vacation in somewhere completely unique. I'll never forget it <3 :)

16  Thank hurley_forever
Reviewed 20 March 2006

Okay just got back from Las Brisas last night with Sunwing Vacations. I am writing this review to counter attack some that will definitely be posted by some cranky people.

The day we left there were weather problems in Toronto so we were delayed about four hours...of course if any of you travel you know this is always a possibility especially in March. Anyways so it was a long day needless to say. When we arrived we were informed on the buses that the hotel was experiencing a power outage and that they thought it would be fixed by morning. Well it did not get fixed by morning it took until 10p.m the next day. We did not arrive in our rooms until 2a.m anyways so I could not have cared less about the lights...we did not have any A/C that night but I opened the window and there was a beautiful breeze so I slept great.

In the morning the rep Kimberly told us at the briefing that the hotel had told her for sure the power would come on that day. Well the hotel could not give an exact time but from what I understood they worked extremely hard to get it fixed. By 10p.m that night we were in business and all was fine again. I am sure you will hear from a lot of people complaining about this alot...god knows we had to listen to them all week on the beaches and at the pool....REALLY people relax you are on vacation!! The way we saw it was that you are here for the beaches and sun not to sit in your room!!

The hotel did send a little apology letter with a cute little gift to everyones room which I thought was very thoughtful of them. They also gave us lobster in the buffet on the Wednesday and I am told that is not normal that was just a little extra because of the problems.

Some people will also complain I am sure about the pool they have been having trouble with the filter but the pool was clear everyday except for one. They did close the one adults pool also for one day but the large one was perfect that day so it was no big deal. And I watched every morning while they checked the PH level and it was fine. By the time we left the pool was sparkling again and no problems. But with the hotel having four beaches I did not feel this was a big problem anyways...choices people!

I am mainly writing this review as I feel that some people really reacted poorly to the situation and gave everyone especially Kimberly the Sunwing rep a difficult time...like it was her fault this happened! She was always around and did not try to sugarcoat the whole situation which was refreshing. The front desk staff was also given a hard time which I cannot believe still. I even heard some people say they wanted a full refund I mean get real it was 20 hours without power most of which we were either sleeping or on the beach I went without power in Ontario longer than that with our big blackout in 2003 and we didn´t get any money back from Hydro now did we?? I really think people need to learn to roll with the punches when on vacation afterall you are technically going to a third world country and need to understand that things do not work or get fixed as quickly as we are used to in Toronto.

I thought the hotel was gorgeous, the staff wonderful and the food was great!! Lots to do or nothing if you want it that way. If you want a balcony however I would suggest that you book a suite as the dlx vip do not have those just a big window which was good enough for me. I will highly recommend this hotel to all my friends and family and cannot wait to go back again myself with my family. So when you read the reviews from all the complainers remember that not everyone there for March Break felt the way they did in fact I would say the majority of our group loved the vacation!!

14  Thank Lola70
Reviewed 17 March 2006

We just returned from a week at this resort and we had the best vacation ever. This resort is huge in area and has alot of stairs which you will have to deal with somewhat. It depends on where your room is located and where you choose to hang out during the day. We were up in the Mar sections which has a small longe and sitting area that serves a continental breakfast and light snacks in the evening. Most mornings we would grab coffee, cereal and fruit and sit on the patio in the Mar section club lounge. Then we would head down the hill to assume our positions at the Ventura beach which was by far the best of the 3 beaches ( we thought). You can ride the golf cart anywhere you need to go. You can call for one from your room or flag one down that is going by and jump on. We walked most of the time and usually once we left our room in the moring we didn't go back till the sun went down. All the beaches offered something different. The Ventura ( our favorite) was the smallest and more in a cove. The water was mostly calm, very clear and you could snorkle right off shore. Their was the mexican resturaunt just behind you that served a daily lunch and plenty of drinks. Drink service on the beach was great. I noticed that at this beach people would just mingle around in the water with drinks chatting and cooling off. We met alot of very nice people here that shared in my FLOATING BAR experience. We called it Suzie's floating sand bar. Unfortunatly it sprung a leak on the 4th day and was unrepairable. I could not say enough about the water here, it was amazing and warm. The Tornillo beach was more open and this is where you could get kayaks and seadoos and do more sporty things (is drinking a sport?) lol. The Manzanillo Beach was directly in the front of main lobby so you would be close to more of the pool activities and the main buffet. The pool looked good from a far but it was in need of a good pool boy or filtration system. Apparatly they were having some problems but suprisingly enough we did see people in it. At first i was disappointed that i would have no pool to swim in but once i saw how terrific the beach and water was i never looked back. We could never sit at the other beaches for long as we could always see our little spot across the way and really enjoyed the group of peolpe we had come to know there. The food was average and i could always find something i liked, never went without. All the staff were terrific, always going out of their way to please you. Our room was spacious, clean and the views were breath taking out into the ocean. We had a suite with a jacuzzi out on the balcony which was very romantic at night under the full moon. We would definatly go back and plan on it next year. We had no problems at all here and felt very relaxed the time. I got a fabulous tan and i would have to say that this area of Mexico is very hot and dry. I wanted to say thanks to Barry and Megan and Helen and Garry for all the conversation and silly fun that we had at the beach and at the bar. Also to may others who endured my energetic little mannerism. Hope to see some of you next year. Sue and Roger

20  Thank 4_the_record
Reviewed 15 March 2006

We three amigas from Winnipeg thoroughly enjoyed our one week stay at the Las Brisas. We went with open minds after reading earlier reviews and found that everything exceeded our expectations. This place is fantastic and excellent value for what we paid. The staff was fabulous, whether we were at the buffet restaurant, lobby bar, or at the beach. Moises - you are the best (Hey Mo!) and Walter - you mix the best drinks! And, the beer is so good! The staff work long hours, but always have time for a smile. Our room was in the Montanas section (pink tower) - the view was amazing, the room was always clean and fresh. By tipping a small amount each day (or leaving a small Canadian souvenir), we were guaranteed a fully stocked mini-bar, clean linens and lots of towels. As mentioned in other reviews, bringing US $1.00 bills for tipping is beneficial and very much appreciated by the hard working staff. You won't go hungry at this resort. The buffet restaurant whether breakfast, lunch or dinner had a good selection of food, which was always fresh. The fruit every day was amazing. As for the à la carte restaurants, we ate at the Asian and Mexican and found both to be very good. Unfortunately, a day after our arrival, the main pool had some issues and turned green. It remained the same until our departure, however this did not present a problem to us as we spent most of our time at the beach! The weather was incredible - hot, hot, hot every day - it was great to be able to snorkel from "our" beach which was one of the three beaches at the resort. From our point of view, the size of the resort was not a problem as shuttle service was available from anywhere. We took a cab to town (La Crucecita) on a couple of occasions for shopping and dinner and had a great time. No worries about safety, and if you know how to barter, you can get some great deals. At one particular store we overpaid for purchases - we left the store not realizing this and as we were getting into the cab to return to the resort, the store clerk came running after us and gave back the overpayment. We were very impressed. All in all we three had a wonderful time and would definitely go back. We met some awesome people - "Our People" and have a special "Hola" to Trevor (garconé) and Heidi from the big "T.O.", Greg & Roberta and Gary & Helen from the "Peg" and the Lethbridge gang. You guys helped make our week something special. Poppers anyone???!!!

19  Thank LaurieWinnipeg
Reviewed 12 March 2006

Although the grounds are daunting and this is not the location for the physcally challenged, intrinsic in its design is a great feeling of privacy and exclusivity. We never felt crowded or rushed. Check-in and check-out was blissfully efficient and our room was clean and very comfortable. No complaints whatsoever. Here are some highlights:
• great snorkeling, rec. the bay tour
• the sailing was easy, the bay is like a small lake, safe and sound
• the service is friendly and ever-present (don't forget the US$1s for tips)
• lots of Canuks from all over Canada, made lots of new friends
• the towns are quaint and safe and no pushy vendors bugged us
• it's hot. nice hot. good hot. why-we-came hot!
• sunny everyday
• we got the trots, but what are you gunna do?
• the food isn't outstanding, but it's not bad
• the restaurants don't really rise above the buffet as they should
• nothing of note that would prevent me coming back!

• Stayed: February 2006
20  Thank Trev0rB
Reviewed 8 March 2006

We went for 2 weeks with another couple returning on the 8th of March. We are in opur 40s except for my wife who is 37.It was really hot and the weather was the same every day. 35+ and sunny. We stayed in the Nubes complex (yellow tower) Rooms were fine and clean. Lots of hot water at all times. We slept with the windows open to listen to the ocean and the air conditioner worked fine contrary to another review which seemed to imply that there was a connection between the window and the air conditioning??? Our friends had a scorpion or 2 in their room but it didnt sting them. We didnt have any. The food was great and the buffet was well stocked and very clean. One of our party got the poops on the second last day. We never had any trouble finding a table. The beer and wine was not very good however. Sol instead of Corona or XXs. Snorkelling right off the beach was good. Watch out for dumb blond on Seadoo inside swimming area!!! She came from the Barcelo. Almost took out a couple of snorkellers. DUH?? Moises was our beach waiter. He was great and spoke english as well. We tipped about $150 for 2 weeks and got great service. We havnt tipped in the past and noticed it makes a difference. It is a bit of a walk everywhere and if you arnt in shape you may want to wait for the shuttles but we walked all the time except when we were too drunk to then the shuttles were handy. The secret beach is good for snorkelling when the vis is good. The best beach is by the Mexican restaurant. No undertow or waves. Tide comes and goes several times a day revealing the reef. Lots of fish and rays to look at.Lots of chairs and shade. If you dont get a chair by 8;00 its hit and miss but alot of folks set up in the grass in the shade of the palm trees which looked pretty appealing. We hired a van with driver for %120 for the day and went to the coffee plantation and waterfall. They are very close. The waterfall is awsome. Its a 2 hour drive on bumpy road so take a van or suburban. Cars are cheaper but not as comfortable. Miguel was great but didnt speak any english. We would return.

14  Thank miguelWinnipeg