5,661 results
All reviewssnorkel beachmar sectionthe mexican restaurantbelly dancermiddle beacha la carte restaurantsfishmain beachla crucecitael mexicanosecret beachmain barbella vistaclub medtennis courtssnack barbird watching
Reviewed March 22, 2006

I just came back to my home in Winnipeg, Canada from staying for a week at Las Brisas in Huatulco. It was amazing!! I am soooo sad to be home, especially since my parents are staying there for another week, and I am going to miss all the people. :( I'm sixteen years old, and I have been to both Puerto Vallarta, and Playa del Carmen in Mexico, and I'll say that no matter what your age is, you'll love it here. For those of you though that enjoy Americanized places (like those of Puerto Vallarta or Cancun), this probably isn't what you're looking for. This is a place to come to relax and get away from it all. The town is small and very friendly. The locals are all very nice, some do speak English pretty good, but others not so much. From Las Brisas into town, it'll only take about a 3 minute taxi ride. At the hotel, all of the staff are sooooo nice and lots of fun. We stayed in the estrellas section of the hotel; it was alright. I didn't mind that much though, because we didn't stay in our room very much. All of the restaurants there are pretty good. They have both American food and traditional Mexican food like "Mole". (it's not mole, its pronounced "mol-eh") lol. It's always hot there, never any clouds or rain when we were there. And out of 7 days, there were only 2 days where it was a bit windier. I made great friends with all the sports guys, and everyone there is so nice. I would highly recommend this place for anyone who wants a relaxing vacation in somewhere completely unique. I'll never forget it <3 :)

16  Thank hurley_forever
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Okay just got back from Las Brisas last night with Sunwing Vacations. I am writing this review to counter attack some that will definitely be posted by some cranky people.

The day we left there were weather problems in Toronto so we were delayed about four hours...of course if any of you travel you know this is always a possibility especially in March. Anyways so it was a long day needless to say. When we arrived we were informed on the buses that the hotel was experiencing a power outage and that they thought it would be fixed by morning. Well it did not get fixed by morning it took until 10p.m the next day. We did not arrive in our rooms until 2a.m anyways so I could not have cared less about the lights...we did not have any A/C that night but I opened the window and there was a beautiful breeze so I slept great.

In the morning the rep Kimberly told us at the briefing that the hotel had told her for sure the power would come on that day. Well the hotel could not give an exact time but from what I understood they worked extremely hard to get it fixed. By 10p.m that night we were in business and all was fine again. I am sure you will hear from a lot of people complaining about this alot...god knows we had to listen to them all week on the beaches and at the pool....REALLY people relax you are on vacation!! The way we saw it was that you are here for the beaches and sun not to sit in your room!!

The hotel did send a little apology letter with a cute little gift to everyones room which I thought was very thoughtful of them. They also gave us lobster in the buffet on the Wednesday and I am told that is not normal that was just a little extra because of the problems.

Some people will also complain I am sure about the pool they have been having trouble with the filter but the pool was clear everyday except for one. They did close the one adults pool also for one day but the large one was perfect that day so it was no big deal. And I watched every morning while they checked the PH level and it was fine. By the time we left the pool was sparkling again and no problems. But with the hotel having four beaches I did not feel this was a big problem anyways...choices people!

I am mainly writing this review as I feel that some people really reacted poorly to the situation and gave everyone especially Kimberly the Sunwing rep a difficult time...like it was her fault this happened! She was always around and did not try to sugarcoat the whole situation which was refreshing. The front desk staff was also given a hard time which I cannot believe still. I even heard some people say they wanted a full refund I mean get real it was 20 hours without power most of which we were either sleeping or on the beach I went without power in Ontario longer than that with our big blackout in 2003 and we didn´t get any money back from Hydro now did we?? I really think people need to learn to roll with the punches when on vacation afterall you are technically going to a third world country and need to understand that things do not work or get fixed as quickly as we are used to in Toronto.

I thought the hotel was gorgeous, the staff wonderful and the food was great!! Lots to do or nothing if you want it that way. If you want a balcony however I would suggest that you book a suite as the dlx vip do not have those just a big window which was good enough for me. I will highly recommend this hotel to all my friends and family and cannot wait to go back again myself with my family. So when you read the reviews from all the complainers remember that not everyone there for March Break felt the way they did in fact I would say the majority of our group loved the vacation!!

14  Thank Lola70
Reviewed March 17, 2006

We just returned from a week at this resort and we had the best vacation ever. This resort is huge in area and has alot of stairs which you will have to deal with somewhat. It depends on where your room is located and where you choose to hang out during the day. We were up in the Mar sections which has a small longe and sitting area that serves a continental breakfast and light snacks in the evening. Most mornings we would grab coffee, cereal and fruit and sit on the patio in the Mar section club lounge. Then we would head down the hill to assume our positions at the Ventura beach which was by far the best of the 3 beaches ( we thought). You can ride the golf cart anywhere you need to go. You can call for one from your room or flag one down that is going by and jump on. We walked most of the time and usually once we left our room in the moring we didn't go back till the sun went down. All the beaches offered something different. The Ventura ( our favorite) was the smallest and more in a cove. The water was mostly calm, very clear and you could snorkle right off shore. Their was the mexican resturaunt just behind you that served a daily lunch and plenty of drinks. Drink service on the beach was great. I noticed that at this beach people would just mingle around in the water with drinks chatting and cooling off. We met alot of very nice people here that shared in my FLOATING BAR experience. We called it Suzie's floating sand bar. Unfortunatly it sprung a leak on the 4th day and was unrepairable. I could not say enough about the water here, it was amazing and warm. The Tornillo beach was more open and this is where you could get kayaks and seadoos and do more sporty things (is drinking a sport?) lol. The Manzanillo Beach was directly in the front of main lobby so you would be close to more of the pool activities and the main buffet. The pool looked good from a far but it was in need of a good pool boy or filtration system. Apparatly they were having some problems but suprisingly enough we did see people in it. At first i was disappointed that i would have no pool to swim in but once i saw how terrific the beach and water was i never looked back. We could never sit at the other beaches for long as we could always see our little spot across the way and really enjoyed the group of peolpe we had come to know there. The food was average and i could always find something i liked, never went without. All the staff were terrific, always going out of their way to please you. Our room was spacious, clean and the views were breath taking out into the ocean. We had a suite with a jacuzzi out on the balcony which was very romantic at night under the full moon. We would definatly go back and plan on it next year. We had no problems at all here and felt very relaxed the time. I got a fabulous tan and i would have to say that this area of Mexico is very hot and dry. I wanted to say thanks to Barry and Megan and Helen and Garry for all the conversation and silly fun that we had at the beach and at the bar. Also to may others who endured my energetic little mannerism. Hope to see some of you next year. Sue and Roger

20  Thank 4_the_record
Reviewed March 15, 2006

We three amigas from Winnipeg thoroughly enjoyed our one week stay at the Las Brisas. We went with open minds after reading earlier reviews and found that everything exceeded our expectations. This place is fantastic and excellent value for what we paid. The staff was fabulous, whether we were at the buffet restaurant, lobby bar, or at the beach. Moises - you are the best (Hey Mo!) and Walter - you mix the best drinks! And, the beer is so good! The staff work long hours, but always have time for a smile. Our room was in the Montanas section (pink tower) - the view was amazing, the room was always clean and fresh. By tipping a small amount each day (or leaving a small Canadian souvenir), we were guaranteed a fully stocked mini-bar, clean linens and lots of towels. As mentioned in other reviews, bringing US $1.00 bills for tipping is beneficial and very much appreciated by the hard working staff. You won't go hungry at this resort. The buffet restaurant whether breakfast, lunch or dinner had a good selection of food, which was always fresh. The fruit every day was amazing. As for the à la carte restaurants, we ate at the Asian and Mexican and found both to be very good. Unfortunately, a day after our arrival, the main pool had some issues and turned green. It remained the same until our departure, however this did not present a problem to us as we spent most of our time at the beach! The weather was incredible - hot, hot, hot every day - it was great to be able to snorkel from "our" beach which was one of the three beaches at the resort. From our point of view, the size of the resort was not a problem as shuttle service was available from anywhere. We took a cab to town (La Crucecita) on a couple of occasions for shopping and dinner and had a great time. No worries about safety, and if you know how to barter, you can get some great deals. At one particular store we overpaid for purchases - we left the store not realizing this and as we were getting into the cab to return to the resort, the store clerk came running after us and gave back the overpayment. We were very impressed. All in all we three had a wonderful time and would definitely go back. We met some awesome people - "Our People" and have a special "Hola" to Trevor (garconé) and Heidi from the big "T.O.", Greg & Roberta and Gary & Helen from the "Peg" and the Lethbridge gang. You guys helped make our week something special. Poppers anyone???!!!

19  Thank LaurieWinnipeg
Reviewed March 12, 2006

Although the grounds are daunting and this is not the location for the physcally challenged, intrinsic in its design is a great feeling of privacy and exclusivity. We never felt crowded or rushed. Check-in and check-out was blissfully efficient and our room was clean and very comfortable. No complaints whatsoever. Here are some highlights:
• great snorkeling, rec. the bay tour
• the sailing was easy, the bay is like a small lake, safe and sound
• the service is friendly and ever-present (don't forget the US$1s for tips)
• lots of Canuks from all over Canada, made lots of new friends
• the towns are quaint and safe and no pushy vendors bugged us
• it's hot. nice hot. good hot. why-we-came hot!
• sunny everyday
• we got the trots, but what are you gunna do?
• the food isn't outstanding, but it's not bad
• the restaurants don't really rise above the buffet as they should
• nothing of note that would prevent me coming back!

• Stayed: February 2006