“Amazing”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The staff at this resort was amazing. We got married here and in our package we got a wedding corridnator, Mildred. She was a god send. It rained on our day and she did way more than we could have asked for to make sure we were happy. Amazing, amazing people at this resort.
We were never without a drink, no matter if we were sitting on the ocean or at the pool or even in the pool, the waiters were always walking around taking orders.
Our room was spectacular. We had a master suite and it was constantly being cleaned by the maids. All through out the day we had fresh drinks in our fridge, towels in our bathrooms and a plate of fresh fruit.
We went into town and to the beach down the road and that was excellent too. Very very safe feeling and very friendly locals.
I would recommend this resort or manzanillo to anyone who asks where to go in Mexico. If you are having 2nd guesses about Mexico, go here, you will always feel so safe.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Megan_xox
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing our Barceló Karmina hotel for your holidays in Manzanillo and for the review, all of your kind words about your stay with us are great to hear

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I took my husband to the Karmina Palace from Feb 2nd-9th 2012 for a birthday present so i had done extensive research on various Mexican locations and i primarily wanted a really lovely hotel for a week's rest and relaxation. So here is my honest review on the whole experience:

The Good:

The Junior Ocean View suite is very nice. It's clean and well kept. The view was amazing from the balcony on the 6th floor
Hotel was immaculate, beautiful grounds and a lovely setting
Friendly Staff throughout the hotel and for the most part, good service. The Mexican people go out of their way to make you feel welcome and are very service orientated.
Buffet was excellent with lots of variety everyday
Mexican restaurant was so good that we went twice plus the setting of the restaurant was pretty spectacular
Nightly entertainment for an hour which was pretty good

The Bad:

At check-in only one person was doing the work, it took a very long time to get through the line-up and because our flight was delayed and we didn't check in until 10pm, some people missed the buffet entirely.

The beds are rock hard....and I do mean rock hard. Not uncomfortable but i did get a couple of pains in my back etc because i am not used to such a hard bed

Limited amount of lounge chairs at the pool and many do not have umbrella's for shade. Guests get up very early to snag a lounge chair by putting their towels over them, this really started to bother me as the week went on because if you hadn't put your towel down by 8 am then forget trying to get by the pool.

We ate at the Italian restaurant on our last night and ordered pizza - DO NOT order the pizza at this restaurant, each topping was placed individually on a slice and not sprinkled over evenly plus it was almost cold. It was the strangest pizza i have ever had.

The service by the pools was a little lacking but i didn't mind getting up and getting my own drinks. No food is offered around the pool and no coffee either which was disappointing. All drinks are served in plastic beakers outside which i understand but don't like.

The Ugly:

The disco ends at around 2am each night and on a couple of nights we were woken up at 2.30 with fighting and yelling. It didn't last long as I assume security quickly broke it up but it jolted me out of sleep with a start and I was a bit shaken up and found it difficult to get back to sleep.

Last thoughts:

Honestly there is not much Bad or Ugly about this hotel. We had a very enjoyable week even though we both were a bit unwell. Downtown Manzanillo does not have much to offer but a walk along the seafront from Barcelo to Las Hadas is very lovely and you can go to the Marina there too. Not sure that I would return to this location in Mexico as I like to try new places when I travel but it is very popular with wedding parties (3 while we were there) as the grounds are so beautiful.

The hotel was full of Canadians with a handful of Americans and Europeans. The weekends attract the Mexicans which makes it busy. We flew with Air Transat and were delayed 2 1/2 hours going down which was unfortunate and the flight home is a bit of a nightmare because you have to stop in PV for a hour but overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank NikkiN_11

Thank you very much for the time you spent to share your personal impressions of your stay at our Barceló Karmina.We always welcome feedback, as it allows us to continually improve the experience we create for our guests.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Karmina is a little slice of heaven. There is nothing to complain about and everything to compliment. One thing we noted that has changed since last year is that security has been tightened. Security will not allow anyone on the property without a wristband. Friends coming from outside will have a problem visiting you. The solution is to purchase a wristband for the day. These are not available every day, as it depends on the occupancy rate. One band is good from 9 to 5 and is about $50. The other is good all day and until 2:00 a.m. and is about $90.
Also, the gate to the beach going toward Walmart is locked. In January they were repairing the steps that were damaged in hurricane Jova, so maybe this will again be a good option for those long beach walks.
If you would like to donate items to the poor in Mexico, the Air Transat reps collect items at their desk. This is a good option to keep within your luggage limits and to help out in the country you are visiting.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room facing the golf course. Many ocean view rooms are noisy...
8  Thank cudworthsaskgnewfie

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Traveling to the sailfish capital of mexico was not my usual winter get away. I studied berlitz spanish and was excited about upgradeing my Padi Scuba to the next level (open water). The people of Manzanillo and surrounding areas were awesome, almost always friendly and accomodating. The first day I immediately set up my dive classes with the hotel's aquatics center. Merriano provided me with my training material and arranged for Jeranamo to be my instructor. Unfortunately the next day Transat tours orientation (delivered by transat representative Katherine from Canada) Emplored that we not engage Antares Aquatic as they were not Padi Qualified any more and their activities were not safe! Hearing this I demdanded a refund and cancelled my training in favor of the dives offered by transat.....what a mistake :( Transat's claims were all smoke and they spent 3 days of my holidays sending me back and forth to the desk of Margarita of transat tours, she tried inefectively to make training arrangements for me day after day. Finally she arranged that I, on my own took a taxi to the local scuba shack and set up my own dive leaving me not enough time to study (the three lost days would have been perfect).The final straw was when the scuba shack offered to have Jeronamo of Antares instruct me. I finally realized that this was about a financial arrangement between Transat and Antares not about any supposed safety issue. Whatever Katherine's motives are the weren't about seeing to my reason for the trip and on this mater I feel she owes me a do over on my trip at her personal expense this time. Next time she meligns the hotell she works out of she should at least be able to provide the service she claims to offer. After explaining the short comings of the aranements made by Transat, Mariano stepped up to the plate and offered to arrange to include me with the dive group he already had arranged. This was of the first class caliber with excellent equipment and divemaster Jeranamo, Who I should have been Instructed by for my open water cert had Katherine not interfered. Thank you Antares

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shireen S

Thank you for the time you took out of your day to share your comments regarding your stay in our Barceló Karmina hotel.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

I travelled here with my inlaws and my 2 Children during hte 2010 Olympics. I realize now how important these reviews can be as I use trip advisor to research othere resorts. What I loved about this hotel was the size (felt my kids 8 and 11 could roam safely) and the kids club staff. It sure makes for a great vacation when the people that care for your kids so you can relax, show the kids a great time. Although I will say the size of the resort helps. You can park yourself on a lounger near the bottom of the waterslide and you can watch the kids go down. This slide is really fast and super fun for my kids age groups and so they literally went down it for hours straight at a time. My son engaged in the soccer on the beach and had a great time! It doesn't feel overrun with kids but there are enough there that your kids would find a friend. And lastly the food was amazing! No one got sick and we felt very safe. Oh and we stayed in the large suite with 2 bedrooms and a pool on our deck. If you are travelling with 2 families, book this suite. It has a large living area, large decks and a full kitchen. The bedrooms are very private and seperate. I would highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: We stayed in the large suite with 2 bedrooms and a pool on our deck. If you are travelling with 2 f...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Paula G

Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your visit to our Barceló hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We have done quite a bit of traveling to different places and this place is one of the nicest we have stayed at. The Barcelo Chain are nice resorts. Good food, 3 restaurants (Mexican (awesome), Itailian (great), Japenese (lacks on selection but still good). The rooms were very spacious. The beds are hard but nothing new for Mexico - we got a mattress pad on the bed and it was all good. Our room (second floor) had a very musty damp smell which is quite normal for such high humidity but my sister had a room on the 6th floor and she did not have that problem. One solution for that is to burn a candle for awhile in the room. We just didn't spend alot of time in the room. The weather was awesome for two weeks!! We went to the Mayan last year and it was a lot cooler and windier so the Pacific side does have more stable weather. We were told before we left to take more Canadian money than American and that was ok at the hotel but anywhere else, they do not recognize Canadian money as much so they wont take it. We just exchanged at hotel for convenience and got pesos so we didn't have to worry about it. One thing we did notice is that tipping does not really matter as I think the tips are put in a big pool and then shared so the workers don't give you any different service whether you tip or not, except maybe the maids. We had an excellent maid (219) and we tipped her every day. The grounds are beautiful!! The beach is no good for walking on but good for snorkeling. There is an awesome beach (Miramar) a 10 minute bus ride (R1 buses) (6 pesos per person (50c) down the road. You can walk for miles and miles and it is wide and flat and there are places you can stop and get beer or snacks along the walk. It is great!! I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone!! Anything you buy on the resort is very expensive and when you go to the flea markets, they are not willing to barter very much but most of it is pretty cheap anyway. One thing we noticed here is the smog - bad smog from the coal plant. I had some bad allergies. It will be nice when they switch that over. I feel sorry for the people who live in that every day. If you suffer from allergies, make sure you take allergy medication. Some days were worse then others, depending on the wind. All in all, it was a great holiday and a great resort.....they all work hard for the money they make!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and probably are not as musty smelling but its the luck of the draw...
4  Thank jazzygirl2

Reviewed 9 February 2012

The room was unreal. Pools, grounds, lobby - what more could you want. Coffee in lobby early a.m. was great. Buffet, Mexican, Italian and Japanese, hello can you say variety. If you like long walks on flat beach this isn't the place but the rest was stellar. Golf, fish, kayak or do nothing it's a graet place. I talk to everyone and it was tough to find a complaint. The staff were exceptional and all had a great sense of humor. I can't recall all names but i can tell you that Manuel (bar server lower level) is a special guy and he showed me how to feed the Iguanas so i got a lot of attention. Luis (bartender) don't stare at those eyes!! Ramon turned 54 and runs the beach bar with great pride. Antonio at the bar by Italian Rest. and the lobby bar guys were all pro's. Our waiters were special - too many to mention. I just loved Armando (spell?) in the Italian, the kid runs and runs so I gave him a break and put on his Tie & Apron - lot's of laughs. The bus guys to & from airport were super and I was especially impressed with Francisco Gonzalez on our bus from hotel to airport on last day - very good representative for Manzaillo tourists.

1  Thank DONJUANWinnipeg