“Do not stay here!!!!”

Park Royal Mazatlan
Ranked #64 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This place had the worst service of any hotel or motel I've ever been to. Management does not exist in this Crowne Plaza. We tried eating at the restaurant (5 people) and in the first hour of being there, all we had been served were 3 cokes (one at a time and they were hot to the touch). Finally we ordered a pizza while sitting at the table, and that arrived BEFORE they even took our orders. We ate the pizza.
We tried to contact management about some problems we were having with the room (flooding, no towels, beetles everywhere), but they refused to direct us to someone who could help. We finally ended up calling the corporate office and they called the manager so we could be helped. There was a wedding at the hotel the weekend we stayed, and it sounded like all of their guests were having worse problems than we were, and they said that having any event at this hotel is a nightmare.
Lastly, the hotel is so far from everything else that it cost nearly 150 pesos each time we wanted to go somewhere else (and trust me you will want to leave).

BOTTOM LINE: If you stay at this hotel, you will squander most of your vacation trying to get basic service and then being given the run-around by the staff. I would recommend pueblo bonito or a hotel that is more experienced in family fun and service.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Jim M
IHGCare, ihg care at Park Royal Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Dear Jim M,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience. IHG Care ^bj

Reviewed 9 August 2011

We were invited to a friends wedding in this hotel so all the invites stayed there for 4 days. First, the hotel is far away from everything, everytime you want to leave the hotel for breakfast, lunch or just to walk around in the city, you need to ask for a cab and they are expensive! Then the guy at the Front Desk was not helpful in any way. I tried to add my Priority Club Number to my reservation ans he was reluctant to give me that service, everytime I asked a question, immediately he would be defensive, and the worst, I made a reservation for a room with two beds and I got a one bed room, then they were trying to charge the additional bed and I got really frustrated. Finally they gave me the additional bed free, but until 10 pm. Our room shower was always dripping water to the rest of the bathroom and the room. Finally the restaurant food was so so and kind of expensive. The thing that really doomed our stay was that someone from the hotel staff stole a box full with money the invites gave the newly weds on the wedding party. That really changed the mood from all of us. I believe the hotel is kind of nice but the staff is not working properly to the status of a Crowne Plaza. One good thing I have to say, the bell boys, they were really great helping us everytime.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in number 12 are the biggest and with the best view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Marlenemosh
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Park Royal Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Dear Marlenemosh,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

CJ
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed 10 July 2011

My husband and I just got back from the Crowne Plaza. Overall the hotel was good. It has a beautiful reception area overlooking the imfinity pool and the ocean. The rooms are stylishly chic with modern fixtures and furniture. There is even a mini refrigerator in the room whereas in other hotels you have to request one. There was no remote for the TV and we had to ask 3 times before someone finally brought one up. There were never enough towels despite me asking the maid and tipping her. Overall the staff was excellent - Cecilia in the spa and Luis, Jose, and Oliver were all very helpful. Ther is only one restaurant at the hotel and the food is suboptimal. The service at the restaurant could also use some improvement in fact my husband complained one evening after he sat at the bar for several minutes with any service even after another guest arrived after him but got service before him. We got a very good deal to book here and well we got what we paid for.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank GlobeTrottingChris
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed here two days ont hew way back to PV from the Copper Canyon. I was really surpised when we entered the room- it looked even better than the photos. The room was huge and clean and bright. Nice bathroom, spotlessly clean. It was without towels but a call to the front desk had towels and an extra bottle of bubble bath for the Jacuzzi within 5 minutes.

The seating area was nice and the bed was super comfy and plush with a selection of different types of pillows. The A/C worked great and the Jacuzzi with ocean view was a huge plus along witht he fridge and coffee maker.

This is one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in for the price.

Service was always spot on and we ate at the restaurant twice which was a great value for a horel restaurant. A lovely breakfast for 45 Pesos. Drinks were also reasonable, two beers and a piña colada for 100 Pesos plus tip.

The pool was nice and the perfect temperature.

While the hotel is not in the Golden Zone - it is an easy and cheap bus ride into the action.

I would highly recommend this hotel and we will for sure stay here again on our next trip to Mazatlan!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor or higher.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bzy1
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I traveled with my mother... and I stayed 3 nights @ Crowne Plaza due to the good reputation for "almost" all Crowne Plaza (excluding Mazatlan...) we decided to stay overthere... The hotel is beautiful, the pool is amazing... very relaxing!!!... the only bad and most "important" thing was the service!... I couldn't beleieve that nobody came to me in the pool when I was almost killing for a drink... The waiters should attend to some "service" course or something liike that because they don't know that one of the most importan thing is the attention to the client, if I go to the pool/beach I expect to be attended by someone otherwise I will suggest to remove the legend "Do not bring drinks to the pool"... if they are not capable to give you a single beer I don't know why they are working there.. (I am mean... I am going to pay for that!!!)... Also the room service is gross, I got my room cleaned around 5PM!!... I am mean 5 PM!!!!.... WTH!!!... And this was the same for all the nights I spent overthere... When I complained @ the hotel they only told me they will write down all my suggestions (I think they wrote that in the air... because nobody paid attention to them... I was very angry with the service but not with the hotel facilities... But I am not sure I will recommend this, I think the Holiday Inn or Pueblo bonito is a better option....

P.S. Also the Internet was sooooooo slowwwww.... !!
Regards

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank JChamo
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My family and I came into Mazatlan planning to stay for a simple overnight and heading out in the morning.
Check-in: Desk resource did not confirm the room type. I made a mistake with the room type, but the desk clerk should have confirmed the room type at check-in.
Room: Want to be 'Mondrian' resort. Good attempt, not quite the execution. King with Jacuzzi. Room was located above the restaurant where a wedding was going on. Hotel not sold out, and the hotel should have warned us at the front desk, and ideally moved our room. Thin walls. Couple next door returned from the wedding at 3am and had a "Personal Party". Thank god my daughter slept through it. Next came the fire alarm at 3:30am
Food: Dinner service was lacking, especially with one other table on a Saturday night. Food was mediocre. Long food service time led to cold food. Chicken Parmesian was chicken strips with Alfredo. Medium Well Filet was raw cardboard. Meat sampler was edible. Breakfast buffet was good.
Beach walking: Could not be better. Lots of fun picking up shells with a child. Very Quiet

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Business_Tom
Reviewed 6 August 2010

My family and I grew up going to Mazatlan and now I'm taking my wife and three children. We just finished a fabulous vacation where the children, wife, and I all had a great time. The staff was exceptional, the food was excellent (and especially given the price). We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family