“Exceptional beachfront golden zone hotel”

Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from a vacation in Mazatlan. We stayed for four days in the fifth-floor Villa Hermosa room at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan, and it was fabulous! The room was quite big, with a comfy king size bed, a mini-kitchen, a bathroom with shower that had a window looking onto the ocean, and best of all a wrap-around deck with two walls of sliding glass doors, and spectacular views. The southern portion of the balcony looked over the hotel's grounds, the beach and Valentino's in the distance, and the western portion looked straight out over the ocean with amazing sunsets. And at no charge, the room was stocked daily with bottles of water, four pops, and four beers!

The service we had was excellent. Wait staff in the restaurant were speedy and friendly, the concierge was extremely helpful when we wanted to confirm our trip back to the airport, and the maid service was thorough and timely.

The grounds are lovely, with a dozen or more palapas dotting the beach, and three awesome pools -- at least two of which are heated. This hotel does not feel like a big high rise, It's got charm and character, just five to six stories, yet all the amenities you would want on a beach vacation.

One more important point -- the beach in front of the hotel is second to none. We strolled up and down the beach a few times, and in front of some hotels, the beach becomes a tiny spit during high tide. The beach here was soft, wide, and near perfect.

Room Tip: The Villa Hermosa room is highly recommended.
1  Thank zippyland
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear valued guest (zippyland)

Thank you so much for your incredible comments about our facility, location and staff; I will personally pass on your message to Elizabeth (concierge) as well, as I know she will be flattered to hear that she was mentioned on Trip advisor. As a member of the family of owners and executive management staff I am ecstatic to hear that the changes and direction in which we are going are being well received and noticed. Your input and what hotel rooms to select, seem well thought out and educated, I appreciate you recommending us. Please feel free to contact directly in future if I can be of service, we look forward to your next visit and meeting you personally.

Best wishes and Safe travels,

044-669-913-4754

Write a ReviewReviews (1,856)

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have stayed with Playa Mazatlan Hotel 3 years in a row. We have always had a great time. CLEAN...the hotel is always clean, neat and they are always upgrading. Staff is attentive. We like the beach walk. Food is very good. Yes, it was quieter this year...that is too bad as we find Mazatlan safe, affordable and a great place to rejuvinate. Oh... and we caught a Blue Marlin AND a Sail Fish! As for this Canadian, the Playa Mazatlan Hotel continues to be on our top list. Next year we intend on bringing the entire family!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest (Robert S),

Please allow me to begin by thanking you for your time and consideratio in making this comment; it is of utmost importance for us at the Hotel to learn from the postings of our guest, and when we get the opoprtunity to receive such great comments it is always flatering. As a local I am glad to hear that you where able to experience our world class fishing, catching a Marlin/Sail Fish or billed fish of any kind is a one of a kind experience and i am sure you can now be called a "true angler". We look forward to having the opportunity of creating a unique experience for you and your entire family next year and as well appreciate your continued loyalty to our brand. Please feel free to contact me directly if i can be of any assistance or service in processing your reservation and facilitating your travel plans.I look forward to personally meeting you.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed at. I am finally getting around to a review after 11 trips to this hotel. My wife and I were married at this hotel in December 2009 the hotel made everything so simple for our wedding we stayed in a junior suite which was 1 of the renovated rooms at the time it was perfect a small fridge a microwave kingsize bed and a oceanview on the 3rd floor. From the minute you arrive you are greeted by the best bellman around there what really make your vacation start just right, they can help you get to all the best restaraunts right from the lobby in a poulmania.....a golf cart style taxi!!so much fun. Then there's the beach in my opinion the best in mazatlan with a waiter named Humberto this guy works his tail off you will appreciate him right away I have never seen someone so on point with there job. This hotel will always mean the world to my wife and I. There's. Something special about it the staff are the reason we keep returning from top to bottom this is our paradise!! We just booked the villa Hermosa room for this Christmas can not wait to return to our second home after 3 years!!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank mobius74
Reviewed 18 February 2012

After staying at the Playa Mazatlan 30 yrs ago we decided to return for our 45th anniversary.We were not disappointed. The hotel is not the run of the mill big box. It is full of mexican flavor, large enough to feel spacious but small enough so you don,t have to walk miles to get to the beach or pool or dining area. The beach is the best in all Mazatlan. Sand so thick and clean (they rake it) and a large number of palapas available. The pool was heated and like a bathtub and was certainly enjoyed. The staff was very friendly and helpful and remembered everything you told them. Our waiter always remembered my husband liked french fries rather than mashed potatoes. Everything was so clean. I swear they wash the lobby floor 10 times a day. We found the pillows to be a little hard but after asking for softer ones we had them right away. There were a lot of things closed due to the economy but we managed quite well. Instead of the large Fiesta they put on .a mini version and it was wonderful. Some shops around hotel closed but still lots to do . Live music and dancing at night, open air restaurant, great sunsets, Will certainly return and recommend this hotel very highly.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view above the restaurant and some nights the music went quite late but we enjoyed i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear valued guest (CaroleY),

Thank you so much for your continued loyalty to our Hotel and for taking the time to write such a positive comment, it's these kinds of comments that keep me coming back to TripAdvisor every day. I actually think I might have seen you guys dancing up a storm in your balcony, as I recall seeing a couple dancing on the third floor a few weeks back. I will definitely take in to consideration the type of pillows being used and I will try and see about making a change by your next stay. Please feel free to contact me direct in future if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

We were very impressed by the Playa Mazatlan. It is an authentic hotel with a distinct character, rather than a generic big box on the beach. The scale and layout were intimate despite the number of rooms. Yet the hotel itself felt spacious. The staff were attentive and friendly but not interferingly so. The location was ideal- a wide clean beach yet reasonably close to the old town. Quality Mexican music was played most evenings. A good sized warm pool plus smaller pools. We found it provided a lovely mix of Mexican ambience and north american amenities . It is unfortunate that Mazatlan as a whole has been badly hit because of safety concerns and the recession. We felt very safe at all times. I am not at all surprised at the number of returning visitors. And would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Our oceanfront room was great -only noise was the surf!
1  Thank freyastark
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear valued guest (Freyastark),

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a comment about the resort on Tripadvisor. As a member of the Family of owners and Operations manager for the Hotel I take pride in hearing such positive comments about the facility and its staff, I am sure my father and grandmother who have designed the place, will love to hear that their attention to detail and respect for space and privacy have been well received by clients that have traveled so far to visit us. I would like to as well offer my personal assistance if needed in future, in the hopes of facilitating the process of making a reservation as well as to have the opportunity to meet you in person.

Again thank you for your posting, your business and what we hope becomes a continued tradition.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

We are looking forward to are next trip to the Playa in the spring as we go every year.I have just read some of the previous reviews especially the one stating it is a Bare bones hotel..We don't agree! We stay there because the Hotel to us is on the best beach around the area, Staff is helpful, food is good and not overly expensive. (we happen to enjoy the vendors) especially Raymond and Henry. The rooms are certainly not that fancy but that is not why we go. At this hotel we really experience the true Mexico experience. I do have to say though, the beds could be a little more comfortable. Rooms are clean, love the open air restaurant and the mexican atmosphere. CAN'T wait for our trip in the spring!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Dear valued guest (claudia096),

Thank you for posting such a positive comment about the Hotel and taking the time to read everything that is out there, your loyalty is much appreciated and as a member of the Family of owners and Operations Manager for the resort I am always touched when our repetitive clients stand up for their opinions. I would love to show you some of our remodeled rooms so that you can get a chance to see some of the more "fancy" rooms we have on the property, as you know we have over a quarter mile of beach front and property to traverse, and it has been built and remodeled over the last 60 years by 4 different generations of family members, this has put us in a unique situation to have close to 29 different amenity and floor plan combinations and over 10 various categories to pick from. In regards to the beds - point taken- we have taken upon ourselves to update and change close to 70% of the beds in the hotel this year as well as change the concretes bases for box springs, so hopefully this makes the quality of your sleep next year improve.

Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service or assistance during your next trip, or if any questions arise. We look forward to seeing you again in the Spring.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Hello,
We, as a family, have been traveling to Mazatlan for over 10-12 years and have always stayed at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. Over the years, less and less travelers are going to Mazatlan and the hotel/town is becoming relatively quiet. I never would have thought the hotel would be so empty as it was in this last trip we took a few weeks ago. Here is why I was extremely disappointed with the hotel and have made the decision that it is time to look elsewhere within Mexico to vacation:(1) Half the hotel is closed, the swimming pool outside our room was freezing cold, yet the pool at the closed end of the hotel was heated. I went to the front desk and asked to turn on the heat the pool outside our room which was never done (in the past if the pools were too hot or cold, you would report it to the front desk, and taken care of immediately). (2) The waterfall/tub area was closed, when I spoke to someone at the front desk they said it was not part of the hotel, yet I explalined to them that they have it advertsied as part of the hotel's pamphlet; (3) Children's activities is completely shut down, which again is in the hotel's pamphlet, advertising tons of kids activities/games. It is understandable that because of the lack of tourist, cuts have to be made, but when I called back in October/November to see what specials were offered at the hotel, I was told there were no specials. At the time of the phone call, I was not aware that amendities were cut out. How can a business expect to charge individuals full amount, yet deliver half of what they promise? They said because of the lack of tourist these items were not being offered, yet they charged me and my family full price. I was told they are considering offering specials for next year, but they maybe a year too late!

Room Tip: Half hotel is shut down, limited on what rooms you want
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cynthia B

Dear values guest (Cynthia B),

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to post a comment on Tripadvisor, the opinions of our guest are what has helped both us find areas of opportunity as well as help our potential guest make educated decisions about where to stay. In regards to your posting concerns, I would like to personally apologize for any confusion or miss understanding in regards to the activities and/or amenities, I would point out that there is a note that speaks to the temporality of the activities and amenities based on season on our site as well as any and all of our publications, this in turn though is not an excuse for not providing you the vacationing experience that you expected. I am currently structuring a department within concierge to take care of activities and the handling of the amenities on the property on a full time basis, as well as just having finished the process of establishing an ongoing Theme Night with show here in the Hotel, hopefully you will give us another chance and get to enjoy it (please feel free to check out our dated pictures online). In regards to the price points and deals on that you have found, I am caught off guard as I know that our rates oscillate between 59.99 - 900 US pending the room type and category that you select, considering that this is a 4 star resort this prices are actually between 15-40% off equal properties. I would love to offer my personal assistance with making further reservations, so that I may assist you in the selection process of your room and price point, so that I may ensure you receive the biggest bang for your buck!

Again thank you for your time and posting, I look forward to hearing back from you soon.