“excellent service”

Ranked #29 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
Langley City, Canada
“excellent service”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The service at this hotel was above average . Everyday the people were going out of their way to help us . i lost my luggage on route to the hotel and everyone was scrambling to help. Javier in concierge services was calling the shuttle services for a week try to find my luggage , The lady at the front desk spent a day researching for us the best way to send a parcel to Playa De Carmen . The rooms were always cleaned and everyone was already to help with our needs . The resteraunt directly in front was where we usually ate , The GUS GUS , excellent food

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank guero61
CostaMargaritas, e-Commerce Manager at Costa de Oro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear valued guest (guero61),

I would like to begin by thanking you for your comment and positive feedback, We are happy to hear that the traditional and warm service here at the Costa de Oro Beach Hotel is still in play and we were able to assisting you with different matters.
I will thank Javier (our Concierge representative) and the staff at the front desk and let them know that they received mention from some of our international guest.
Please feel free to contact me in future if I can be of any service in selecting a room for your next stay.

Best Wishes, Safe and Happy Travels,
+52 669 913 5444

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

There was great beach access and good pool area for the family. We were disappointed in the rooms as we were suppose to have a suite with 2 rooms, however the rooms were divided by a folding wall. Our older teen boys had to sleep on 2 couches that did not fold out. It was not the cleanest when we arrived. the kitchen was old and dirty. The fridge had stains on the outside. We were there for Christmas and was disappointed that there was not big event or extra special dinner in the main restaurant. It was very close to some great restaurants and shopping areas. They were doing construction work on rooms so we were not able to sleep in at all after 7am. At no time did we feel unsafe but would not stay here again.

Room Tip: We booked online and had to fight for the online price we were quoted. Make sure you take your copy...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank c0mpassi0nate
Francisco D, e-Commerce Manager at Costa de Oro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear guest; (c0mpassi0nate)

I would like to begin by thanking you for posting a comment about your stay in our Hotel; we very much appreciate having the opportunity to hear directly from our guests about areas that could e improved upon. I can assure that all comments are read taken under review and worked on, I have gone ahead and submitted a maintenance ticket to the room you stayed at so that all details could be fixed. I do apologize that the rooms that were selected for you did not fulfill your needs for rest and relaxation. I would love to offer my personal assistance in future to select a room that might provide you with more tranquility and quiet as the Hotel is designed to offer multiple styles of rooms and accommodations.
As for special dinner on Christmas Eve, We did have one at our main restaurant, perhaps we did not advertised it properly.
Again I apologize for the inconveniences over your trip and we hope you will consider visiting us again; we would love to serve you and help in creating an unforgettable vacationing experience.
I in advance thank you for your time and look forward to hearing back from you.

Best wishes and safe and happy travels always!
+52 669 913 5444
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My parents have had a time share at Costa de Oro for the past 20+ years, and they have always loved going there. My brother was married on the grounds 8 years ago with about 40 guests from BC, Canada as well. Over the years we have all brought friends and other family members with us for 1 week, 2 weeks, and sometimes even 3 weeks.

We have NEVER had any issues at this hotel, nor have we had any issues in Mazatlan at all.
We always talk to other travellers and the locals, and we always eat at local restaurants and less touristy spots, and that is what we love about Mazatlan. It is not as commercialized and touristy as the other holiday destinations in Mexico.

I have been to Aculpulco, P.Vallarta, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mayan, Cabo.... and many other holidays places outside of Mexico.
I would not say that Mazatlan is the 'best' place to go... especially if it is your first trip to Mexico... but I will say, that it is the best mexican place to go, IF you are a seasoned traveller, and IF you are looking for a 'true mexican' experience.

Costa de Oro's staff and it's authentic mexican charm, are what keep us coming back. I'm 30 now, and I have seen the same staff serve at the pool and clean the rooms, for the past 20 years. They are friendly familiar faces, even if they don't remember me. A few of them, have their grown up children working in the hotel now. (ie. Pancho & Javier - excursion organizers)
The food at the poolside, isn't 'the best' food, but it is tasty, and reliable, and it has never made me sick.
The ladies who clean our rooms, are sweet, and helpful, and they do the best job they can. Nothing has ever gone missing from our rooms, and they are always smiling, even when I constantly ask for more towels.

The server Pancho at the pool, is the best server out of them all, he dances, and is always friendly, and never forgets your order, or let's your glass get empty.

The decor of the hotel has been updated alittle bit, new bedspreads, walls have been repainted, some of the washrooms have been redone..... i'm surprised they haven't redone the kitchen cupboards though. Apparently they are slowly working on all the rooms, from top to bottom.

The best floor is the 8th floor of the main building. We are always on the the 5th - 8th floors, and the rooms and view are gorgeous.

You cannot go to Mazatlan and expect it to be like the Mayan.
You cannot stay at Costa de Oro and expect it to be like Barcelo.

The location is fabulous for all the nearby local restaurants that are within walking distance.
Just be careful to not wander around after 9:pm on your own.

The pulmonios are the best way to travel around the city for short trips... bad for the environment, but open air, and cute, and you are helping a man put food on his table.

I will always have fond memories of my holidays at Costa de Oro... Pancho at the excursion desk is my favourite... over the years, he remembers me and my family and he ALWAYS gives the best price for any excursion. His son Javier is a wonderful man as well.

As for the hassling of the timeshares... it's the livelyhood of Mazatlan... it's how they keep their economy alive. Deal with it.
Be stern and tell them you are not interested, and they will leave you alone.
Lie and tell them you already have one, and they will leave you alone.
OR... IF you want some perks, free excursions, free gift certificates for wonderful local restaurants at neighbouring hotels, etc.... then go to the breakfast or lunch presentation, and take advantage of what they have to offer you.

Ps. Friday nights go downtown to Playa Marchelo for dinner and entertainment.
It's a nice square bordered by cute little restaurants that put all their tables outside in the middle of the square, there is live music and of course vendors selling jewellry, etc.
There is a great little restaurant named El Tunnel around the corner from the art gallery.... small, quaint, and amazing 'real' mexican food.

Room Tip: main building - kitchenette rooms - 5th floor or above.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank travel_princess82
CostaMargaritas, e-Marketing Manager at Costa de Oro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear valued guest (travel_princess82)

Thank you so much for taking the time to create a post and as well thank you for your positive mention, I must give further credit to all of the staff members as they are the ones that really provide our guests with a unique experience, we look forward to having you next year.

Just a little note if you excuse me, at the bottom of your comment, the dowtown place you mentioned is actually "Plaza Machado" in Mazatlan's historic district, a lively and fun area to visit.

Best wishes and safe travels,
F Duarte
+52-669-913-5444
Eagan
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The first couple of nights were not so bad (there was a cockroach outside my bathroom door the first morning, but I had mentally prepared myself for that and scooted it outside my hotel door with my shoe). From then on, I kept the bathroom light on, remembering that the cockroaches don't like light. I also kept my shower door closed, since I had heard that they climb up through drains. But on the third night, a large group of about 20 eighteen to twenty year olds arrived at the hotel. They were OK during the day - yes, they dominated the deep end of the hotel pool, but they usually stayed at the pool for only two hours or so. The bigger problem was at night. They slammed doors, screamed out loud (and I mean actual screams) and even shot off firecrackers on two different nights. OK, I was young once also - I can tolerate the noise until even let's say 1am. But 3:30 am is not OK for other hotel guests. Seems the problem is, hotel management doesn't really care, and actually told me as much. Youngsters will be youngsters was the overriding message. I had to just tolerate it for 4 nights until the "youngsters" left. Management does not give any indication that they have a problem with this kind of behavior. Also, the noise from the street in Mazatlan is overwhelming. Roadsters revving engines all night long, sirens going off, and constant traffic all night long. The street is immediately outside of the hotels. It is a dirty, dilapidated city that has fallen to ruins in the poor economy. Not a nice place to visit at all. Do not stay at the Costa de Oro if you cannot change your destination plans. Visit other hotels along the same strip of road and find another (perhaps Inn at Mazatlan?). But I would find another destination in Mexico altogether.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new tower have to tolerate the street noise. Rooms at beach level have to tolerate noi...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JMMEagan

Travellers are raving about these Mazatlan hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Right in the middle of the Golden Zone, 5 minute taxi to anywhere. Ask for Frankie poolside, he's the best! Good, good, value!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laker90
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We have just returned from a 7-day holiday at the Costa De Oro in Mazatalan. The restaurant, and pool wait staff was very friendly, front desk not so much. First night found a dead cockroach on the counter in the kitchen. Somewhat overpriced at almost $200 Cdn a night .Way too much harrassing from the time shares properties. It was OK but would likely not stay there again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elisa1_12
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 6 December 2011

My grandfather owned a time share here and I've been a couple times. The staff, especially Victor (the manager) and Pancho & Javier (activities coordinators) are fantastic. Very helpful and accommodating.

I had a studio with a kitchen. The kitchen had all the utensils and dishes I needed. So great to be able to cook my own meals.

The view is spectacular - you see the sunset dead center between the islands. Beautiful sunset each night.

Worth the money, for sure! Not high-end, but clean and friendly and everything you need for a Mazatlan vacation!

Room Tip: Get the kitchen! And the rooms in the tower all have balconies facing the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family