“Tired and More Tired”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
M
“Tired and More Tired”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed at this resort the last week of February and will share our views for the benefit of those choosing a vacation spot.

Overall: The other reviews that state that this property’s infrastructure is aged are absolutely on target. It is well located along a beach and although the property has attributes, it has unquestionably exceeded its useful life, is on life support and requires a MAJOR overhaul. Of even more concern, it has traits that pose a threat to health & safety.

Positive Attributes:

1.) The staff, in spite of shortcomings noted below are very friendly, as are the people of the region.
2.) The staff does seem to wish to help support a positive guest experience but are constrained by lack of management support.
3.) We had no issues or concerns with security, regularly walking the streets of town up to 10-11 p.m. at night.

Concerns:

1.) DO NOT accept a room with adjoining doors, you will be disappointed. We were given a room that had adjoining doors, and could hear the people speaking as if they were in the same room. More disturbingly, we could not only hear them eating, but smell their meal. After also being woken up during the night due to kids running through the hallways we had enough and asked for a room change, which was granted. We were promised a room that while it still had adjoining doors, the adjacent rooms were pledged to be vacant during the remainder of our stay. On this point the hotel overpromised and under delivered; for the remainder of our stay we were again entertained by a neighbor, this time with a small child.

2.) Condition of the rooms: On a scale of 10, room quality was a 1.

a.) Upon our arrival there were numerous light bulbs which were burned out, including in the shower and on the back patio. (I’m not sure how the maid staff could adequately clean a shower without lights).
b.) The sinks in both of the rooms we stayed were very slow to drain, causing us to use 2 sinks so as not to have them overflow.
c.) The faucet handle on the hot water valve leaked every time it was turned on. We eventually solved the problem by wrapping a face towel around the valve, so that it could at least flow into the sink instead of the floor.
d.) The door to the patio never closed properly, and had a gap of approximately ¾ inch between the door frame and the trim.
e.) The door handle to the patio would also constantly fall off into our hands, with the inside parts hitting the floor. After a while it was easier to just leave it on the floor.

3.) Staff: We were disappointed to find that after having either the maid or
maintenance person visiting our room, that they left the patio door unlocked.This was particularly problematic since we were on the ground floor, adjacent to the edge of the property, and had valuables in the room. This amounts to poor training/oversight.

4.) Health & Safety: There are 2 towers as part of the guest rooms, one of which is
28 stories. As part of my exercise routine during our stay I used the stairs for training.
As a former firefighter I was alarmed to discover that the entire building had NO FIRE
SPRINKLER SYSTEM, either in the rooms or common areas, including the stairwells.
This was particularly relevant in that there are no fire trucks in the city that can reach
higher than 3 stories. What this means is that in the event of a fire, the guests above
that floor would have the benefit of neither any automatic fire suppression, but no way of
being rescued.
This to me translates to the property having a larger interest in profits as
opposed to guest safety. There is no way I would place my family members in danger,
which I would be doing to take a room above the third floor, and I recommend you do
the same. The building also has not been earthquake retrofitted, and this is definitely an
earthquake area.

5.) Towels: Incredulously, for at least ½ of the times we went to the pool, there were
insufficient towels for guests. We were regularly told that there would be a 10 minute
wait, and to come back. We did, but there were no towels until after up to 1.5 hours had
passed. We were forced to lie directly on the bird stained deck chairs. The staff stated
that this happens every day, and that management was aware of this deficiency.
Despite the shortcomings of any hotel we have been to, we have never been to one
which doesn’t buy sufficient towels. Indeed, towels probably rank just above toilet paper
a being a necessity. Such an easily solvable problem served to underscore how poorly
managed this hotel is.
The staff told us that management had been informed of this deficiency but had done
nothing about it. Indeed, after again finding myself in a line to await the phantom towels, I
specifically went to the front desk and left a message for Mr. Raul Hernandez, the
general manager to make certain he was aware of this problem. (I also suggested that
the front desk could take some initiative and use some petty cash to run downtown to
buy more towels). Despite my direct effort to bring this to managements attention, there
were no improvements during our stay, nor acknowledgement that they were planning to
do anything about it. Sad but true.

6.) We were not on the all inclusive plan, since it had been recommended by other reviewers
to not do so. It was good advice. We did go to the show on Wednesday night, which was
entertaining, but found that the quality of the food as well as the atmosphere was akin to
eating in a school cafeteria.

As most travelers today, we did pay careful attention to trip advisor reviews. We found it interesting that Mr. Hernandez (or his employee?) seems to responds to comments. His comments regularly implore the guest to revisit the property to give it another try, but regularly does not offer a substantive plan on how to address guest comments. As such, and for the benefit of new guests, I will pose for him the following questions, and instead of inviting me back for another visit, we ask you Mr. Hernandez for answers as follows:

1.) Why aren’t there sufficient towels at the pool, why haven’t you acted on requests for same? By what date can you definitely guarantee that no guest will be left without a towel?

2.) By what date will the hotel have strong and capable internet in the lobby areas?

3.) By what date will the computers in the internet office all work, and have strong and capable internet service?

4.) By what date will the hotel have a basic sprinkler system in place for guest safety, and if that is not planned, why is it not planned? Do you not care for guest safety?

5.) How is it that a room cannot be thoroughly checked by maintenance or maids before a guest arrives to ensure it is ready for guest use? This includes having a checklist with items such as good plumbing, no leaks in faucet valves, all lights working, all door hardware functional, etc. Since you obviously don’t have such a basic system in place, by what specific date will this occur?

Overall, despite a nice beachside location, the guest experience proved to be a negative one; there were simply too many basic items which weren’t being attended to. If the management can’t afford to make any improvements, at least close down room that are not serviceable and focus on those that you can maintain.

El Cid proved they weren’t worthy of my business, and we certainly won’t be returning. If you choose to come, make sure you lower your standards and are prepared to still be disappointed.

P.S. The patio door handle is on the floor next to the door.

Room Tip: See Comments
5 Thank P B
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear P B

I would like to thank you for selecting our hotel to stay and for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful; we take pride in the training our employe

We take your comments seriously, for that reason I would like to share with you the following: constant training is given to the housekeeping and maintenance department to reinforce standards practices; we must certainly reinforce this practice.

On another note, last week the external internet service provider was improving the overall internet structure of our resorts causing some service issues on and off last week, currently the service is working property; concerning this situation I would like to share with you that El Cid is commissioning a project to improve the structure, which will allow us to offer you a more extensive coverage and a stronger signal.

I understand how dissapointing it must be having troubles to get pool towels, and we apologize for any inconvenience we may because you; we have ordered new towels as we realized there was a shortage.

For our company our top priority is our guest´s security, for that reason our hotel meets Mexican standards of security and the entire building has strategically placed hydrants and extinguishers on every floor, from the stairs, common areas and rooms, each hydrant has a length of 25 meters which allows us to quickly fight a fire from any angle; by the other side, while earthquake is of concern, I would like to share with you that Mazatlan is not in an earthquake zone, however there is an internal procedure in our company which is known by the all the staff and enabling to act in an efficient, fast and secure manner if necessary. Our company has 6 brigades formed, these are: first aid, search and rescue, communication, evacuation, fire and logistic, and some codes have been stated in order to identify each type of sinister, this is thinking in your security, and constant training is given to our staff by the experts; we appreciate your expertise of firefighter.

We hope to have a second opportunity to welcome you to Mazatlan at your first choice of resort, El Cid Moro Beach Hotel.

Raul Hernandez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Birch Hills
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We are still enjoying this beautiful hotel. We have a one bedroom suite facing the ocean. Awesome view, sunsets are unbelievable. Room is very clean, maids do a wonderful job. Beds are a little hard for our taste, but just stole the mattress from the other bed and now it's comfortable, but a little high!

Food is very tasty at the made to order restaurants, but leaves a little to be desired at the buffet. We are doing the all inclusive which worked out fine for us, as we only stayed one week, but the choices were limited for us. We recommend El Patio (in El Granada) and the pool bar restaurant at El Moro. Never had one bad meal, and for all you Canadians - they make an awesome Caesar drink !!!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean facing!
4 Thank Tubes11
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Tubes 11

While you are still staying with us, we appreciate you for taking the time to express your perception in regards to our service and facilities. I am glad to read that you are having a great time with us. I appreciate your comments in regards to the room and Food service; I will share your thoughts with the managers of the deparments involved.

Please if you need any assistance during your stay, do not hesitate to contact me, you can reach me through the telephone operator; I would like to have the pleasure of meeting you in person.

est regards,

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed at El Moro for 2 weeks and felt extremely safe. We had a great view of the ocean and our room was very roomy and kept very clean. It was very quiet during the day so I was able to have an undisturbed siesta every day. I enjoyed the heated pool very much and had great waiter service. Because i use a cane the waiters would always carry my plate to the table for me. After a few days they would also have my drink ready for me before i asked for it as they would remember what I always ordered.

This place is super clean in fact cleaner than a lot of public places in our cities. I had a great holiday and plan to be back soon.

3 Thank Len H
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Len H

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor.com following your recent visit with us.

I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful vacation with us enjoying of the heated pools, excellent service, amazing view from your room and as well, that have appreciated cleanliness in our property; we take pride in serving our guests and I assured you that we will continue working hard to provide you even more memorable vacation.

On behalf of all the staff, we look forward to serve you again and pamper you as you deserve.

Warmest regards,

Red Deer
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My experience at the El- Cid was fantastic, The manager Daniel Czaraves went out of his
way to make our stay very pleasant, he was very thoughtful and looked after all of our needs.
A special thanks to Amarosa in relations in the operators phone. She also went out of her
way to help us with our special requests. I would recommend this hotel and the people to
anyone thinking of travelling. Daniel and Amarosa--Thanks once again from Chicago Hockey
and Robert and Lorraine Worobetz

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool and ocean, they are stunning!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TonyMontanaChessMan
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Dear TonyMontanaChessman

I would like to express my thanks to you for choosing El Cid Moro as your home away from home and for your kind words. It is our intent to provide you with not only a wonderful and enjoyable stay, but also an unforgettable one.

Daniel and Alma Rosa are only a few of the great staff we have working at this resort and who have as objective exceed your expectations in service delivered.

I appreciate your high recommendation to others and we look forward for your return!!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Back home in the cold after 2 super weeks at El Cid. We keep returning year after year and have made some very good friends here. We truly feel at home at this resort and even though Mazatlan has been getting a bad rep back here in Canada, we feel entirely safe at El Cid and in Mazatlan. I believe we would all agree that those of us who live in Canadian cities have areas in that city that we would not frequent at night.

We stayed on the 6th floor of the Moro tower. We usually stay at the Castilla but this year we had the opportunity to stay at the Moro. The rooms are similar as to those at Castilla but they are much larger. We had a fabulous 2 room suite that was ocean front. Each room had a bathroom and ceiling to floor windows, of which you could open the top half which turned the room into one large balcony. I could literally tan while laying on the bed...how luxurious is that! Some reviews say that these rooms are “tired”, and perhaps the furnishings are a bit dated but the rooms are newly painted and the maids keep everything super clean. We always returned to a clean, cool room. I love that all the floors as well as the entire bathroom are tiled...easier to keep sanitary! Also the bed coverings are duvets which are changed regularly...much better than the comforters our hotels use back in Canada (and the rugs which harbor who knows what!). We appreciated the nice balance between Spanish and English channels on the TV – CNN, TSN, Fox etc...a nice touch we have experienced elsewhere in Mexico. We also appreciated that bottled water was readily available around the pool and in the restaurants – this was a major improvement from other years.

We really appreciate the workers at this resort. We got so many smiles and Olas from everyone from the administration to the pool cleaners and maintenance staff. We have never encountered such friendly workers at any other resort we have been too...these people blow those in Cancun out of the water!

The pools were heated and kept very clean by the workers who were there early every morning testing the water and skimming etc. The maids would be there as well sweeping and washing the concrete and cleaning off the lounge chairs. There were plenty of lounge chairs available at all times – one suggestion could be more umbrellas for sun protection and lounge mats to make the loungers more comfortable. Repairs to the concrete around the pool was being carried out while we were there. We noticed that there were ongoing improvements and repairs made at El Cid. We also found that any concerns we have had over the past years, were remedied immediately and with a smile. Issues can be addressed by filling out the form that is your room or making a call down to guest services.

I must say that our experience with the food was very good. My husband tends to be a bit fussy yet he could always be found with his plate full of goodies. The buffets always had a selection of chicken, fish, beef, pork and two grilled items. Pasta, potatoes, veggies, french fries, a salad bar and a dessert bar were a part of every lunch and dinner. The breakfast buffet had awesome pastries, bagels, toast, french toast, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, some Mexican dishes, juices, fruit, and two egg cooking stations. Socorro the omelet cook and I became fast friends – a very nice lady. While we were there, El Cid hosted Super Bowl parties at the Castilla and the Moro bars with lots of finger food and several big screen tvs set up.

At the Pergola, there was a dinner show every nite. The best ones by far were the Latin, Mexican, and Broadway shows. We noticed that there were many new costumes and some new dance routines. Too bad there are not dance shows every nite but one must realize that these young dancers practice in the morning and then work all day only to return at 7:30 to entertain the guest. We really enjoyed having the dancers come down to floor level at the end of the show to lead us in their farewell dance, and also having the dancers at the door to say goodbye made it all more personal. Good changes made! We were so happy to see Leticia back in the Broadway Show...her lip synching and body language are first rate and so professional. She works in the Kids Club along with a very sweet young girl, Abriel, who can been seen taking excellent care of the children in their charge.

We had excellent service from waiters...Mario, Ruben, Ramone and Ricardo at the breakfast and lunch buffets. Adrian and Francisco around the Castilla pool. Please tip while you are there when you get good service. These people work so hard and really do deserve their tips.

We had no trouble getting reservations for the Alacarte restaurants, even for groups as large as 9. It was easiest to go directly to the concierge office located beside the Castilla lobby bar and you would get your reservation ticket at the same time. We went to all four restaurants and they were all excellent with a good variety for everyone's taste.

We were sad to leave and are already planning our next trip. We consider this resort our favorite and will keep returning. The staff are first rate – Fantastico!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank LJH2020
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear LJH2020

Thank you for taking the time to write such an amazing contribution. Secondly, on behalf of everyone at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel, let me thank you for your loyalty during the years.
You can not imagine how excited I am to read so many compliments in regards to our service and product and to know as well that we have made you to feel at home away from home, that is our top priority that our guests enjoy every aspect of the property.

I can assure you that your comments will be shared with all the staff and the personnel you mention by name will be recognized for the excellent service they delivers.

All of us will be waiting for you next year when you escape Canada´s winter.

See you next year!!!

Yours sincerely,

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Was at the hotel for one week, the entire resort was amazing the swim up bar (esp Carlos), El Patio, and the la concha and our awesome waiter Martin, Was one of the best weeks of my life, and i got to spend it with my wonderful new wife. I recommend this hotel very much, but the beds are super hard, ask for extra matress pads.

Room Tip: I would go to the castilla if you can the two bedroom suites have in room wet saunas, but our stay o...
2 Thank Anthony V
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Anthony V

Thank you for choosing us to spend your vacations at El Cid Resorts; also for the time to write this review. It is awesome to know that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. We were very pleased to have you with us.

All our staff works very hard to make your stay even more comfortable and enjoyable. Carlos and Martin are very valuable for us and we are proud that they are part of this beautiful family, El Cid.

Hope to have you soon with us.

Genera Manager
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 9 February 2012

El Cid El Moro was a very nice hotel. not the newest, but well kept. the property is beautiful and well kept also. the beach is clean and there is a roped off area to keep the venders out...they're fine with me. we went on a timeshare exchange. they do treat hotel guest different than owners (our friends were there as hotel guests). the free ride from the airport is worth about $30 US but is a way to get you to timeshare. the skycap for helping you get cabs etc. is not much use. we went to Senior Frogs, thought we needed a cab. he got us a golfcart unit, but the restaurant was downstairs....literally but we had to pay. he did this to us twice and after that i didn't speak to him for the rest of the 2 weeks there. the restaurants at the hotel are good and reasonable. the buffets, which comes with a show, are terrible. the food was cold and the beef like leather shoes..........save your money. we did better on eating/drinking around than buying the "all-inclusive" plan. they wanted $69/person/day.....over $1800 US and believe me that's a lot of food and booze for the 2 weeks. if you time it out right, you can have Happy Hour all day up and down the beach form 10:00AM to 7:00PM. all the help around the pools and restaurants on the property are great. they are willing to help out with information, are friendly and always courteous. lobby help is no help because they do their utmost to keep you in the resort. they don't seem to know a thing.

all in all, we would go back again. overall we were very pleased with the accomodations. the city is clean and safe. there is no more of a drug problem here than in most places in the US. go have a good time and enjoy the place and the people of Mazatlan.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Strawbman
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Dear strawbman

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is nice to hear that you enjoy your vacations with us.

The all inclusive plan is for people who prefer to stay at the hotel during all the vacation and having multiple options of restaurants without worry about carrying cash or credit card in their wallet.
I agree with you, we have many valuable employees in the company who are always happy and with a big smile in their faces to assist you in order to make you have a memorable vacation.

Once again many thanks for your valuable review as they provide us the tools to improve or reinforce our product.

We hope to have you soon again!