“Excellent Flan!”
Review of Cenaduria El Tunel - CLOSED

Cenaduria El Tunel
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: It's run by these sweet, older women. We described it as "Mexican home-cooking." It's all homemade and simple, but SOOO good. The mole is delicious! As is the tortila soup, and chicken dishes.
Reviewed December 29, 2015

This qualifies as a "hole in the wall" across from the entrance to Angela Peralta Theatre. As a cenaduria (cafe or bistro) the menu is limited to family favorites. The staff doesn't speak much English but we were able to order with Spanglish and pointing. The flan is to die for! It's house-made, more like a ricotta cheesecake without the crust, with just enough caramel sauce to send it over the top. Very inexpensive.

Reviewed November 9, 2015

We used to love this place...great Mexican food. But this last visit was terrible. They were out of everything on the menu except 3 things. We stayed and ate, but it was terribly disappointing. Won't go back.

Reviewed October 12, 2015

Stopped in early one weekday evening. We were at the end of the slow season so we were the only customers in the restaurant, which after we ate, we found surprising as the food was good and inexpensive. I had the chicken mole at $75p. At that price I thought I would get a thigh/back on/bone in piece of chicken. However, received a full boneless chicken breast with a nice mole sauce with a scoop of rice and refried beans. Menu is in Spanish, however there are some pictures to assist in ordering. We will return and explore other items on the menu.

Reviewed September 12, 2015

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Mazatlan! The food is authentic...and tasty! Restaurant has character!

Reviewed March 12, 2015

El Tunel just reopened after a couple years. (It has been on Plaza Machado since 1930!) I wanted to try it again as my wife feels they have the BEST Pozole in Mazatlan. The restaurant is small but cozy and very clean. The menu is just as it was since we started eating there 30 years ago. I had my favorite (Asada A La Plaza de Res) which is beef with potato's and vegetables and a side of frijoles with fresh hot tortillas. It was great, just like the old days. (They have it with chicken too.) Several other items on the menu and this is real, authentic, Sinaloa style Mexican food. They are exactly in front of the entrance to the Angela Peralta Theater on Plaza Machado. Open for lunch and diner. Very reasonable too! My lunch was about $5 US.