“If you go to Mazatlan, STAY HERE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa de Leyendas

Casa de Leyendas
Ranked #2 of 49 Mazatlan B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“If you go to Mazatlan, STAY HERE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

My husband and I (residents of Portland, Oregon,) took our first trip to Mazatlan during the last week of October. We stayed three nights at Casa de Leyendas- we wish we'd stay many more! Casa de Leyendas is absolute perfection. Hosts Glen and Sharon make you feel immediately at home. They are kind, gracious, and lots of fun- we don't have enough good things to say about them and their amazing bed and breakfast! Sharon set up massages for my husband and I- about $20 US dollars for an hour long massage, and a GREAT one at that. They helped us to plan much of our stay with their spot on suggestions and tips. They were never wrong in a recommendation.

We stayed in the Peralta Room, and it was fantastic. The bed is the most comfortable I've ever slept on, the room is large and the details are amazing- sitting room, lively and authentic bathroom, and a gorgeous shower with a skylight. Music from a restaurant next door filled the room when we had the windows open, and we loved it! There are plenty of places in the hacienda to just hang out and make yourself comfortable. Their roof-top has plenty of seating and a perfect view of the ocean- a great place to catch the brilliant Mazatlan sunsets! The breakfasts we ate in their charming courtyard were the best we had all week. And Macaws! They'd recently converted their parking space into Macaws, a wonderful bar (now serving breakfast as well). It was so much fun and a perfect place to meet the other guests, and many, many wonderful Mazatlan residents who frequent the welcoming spot. The bartender, Cesar, is a blast to talk to and makes a mean margarita- try the "Cadillac," again, my favorite margarita I had in the nine days we were in Mexico.

The location of Casa de Leyendas is also perfect! It's in Centro Historico, and there was just so much to see and to do! Unlike the Golden Zone, Centro has an old and charming feel. You can walk around for hours- up and down the Malecon, up and down all the old streets, and never grow tired of the buildings, music, and people. The Casa is directly across from the Art Museum, and just a few blocks from the Machado Plaza, which was my favorite spot of all! Surrounded by incredible (and affordable) restaurants, we stayed late into the night as the plaza is bustling with activity as the night draws on.

A note on safety- be critical of the media hype. Mazatlan felt very safe. We did not have a single questionable experience. Someone had advised me not to take my new, expensive camera. Well, I had it around my neck the entire week and went home with a thousand amazing pictures. While there are certain areas of Mexico it is certainly not wise to visit at the moment, Mazatlan tourism is being hurt by fear-driven media coverage. It was a charming town and the people there were extremely hospitable and helpful. I felt more safe walking around Centro Historico at night than I do when I leave my office at night in downtown Portland. We took the public bus at all time of the day and into the night. It was fine. Be wise, but don't be intimidated.

Go to Mazatlan! Stay with Glen and Sharon at Casa de Leyendas! You won't regret it for a second. It was the best vacation we've ever had, and we can't wait for an opportunity to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PFender85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

We spent two nights with Sharon at Casa de Leyendas in the "Carnival" room. First, the B&B is gorgeous. It's beautifully decorated inside and it's absolutely stunning down to the smallest details. Extremely clean and well-maintained. You walk in and are greeted by Cesar at MACAW's, the bar that is connected to the house. Markie and Cody, two adorable friendly shetlands, greet you as well. Everyone at the house is so friendly and accomodating. Breakfast always was delicious and fresh. The bed was blissfully comfy .... I am still thinking about how refreshed I felt after a night of sleep! It's a wonderful experience. I wished I could have stayed there longer. When we go back, that's where we are definitely going to stay! It's a welcoming place to sleep, eat, relax and just be.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

We chose Casa De Leyendas for our honeymoon based on the glowing reviews and pictures and we were not disappointed - even the extras I purchased (cake, wine, etc) exceeded our expectations! Glen and Sharon were very friendly and helpful, and my wife said it was like staying in someone's nice, big house - yet at the same time we had as much privacy as we needed. Our hosts recommended restaurants and told us how to find them as well as anything else we needed, such as the Farmacia for chapstick, or the ferry to Stone Island (Glen even offered to drive us to the ferry in his truck). Sharon helped us book a fun zip line, and they even had bikes available to ride up the Malecon.

The house itself was beautiful, and every part of it was carefully decorated, from the guest rooms to the general lounge areas to the open courtyard, and I don't think a single wall was left white. I recommend the popular room #3 for honeymooners - it's large and cute and has easy access to the rooftop for relaxing and watching sunsets (and there are no adjacent rooms in any direction...) They're not finished with the house, either, but the latest work on another room did not interfere with our stay. We ran out of towels once but they were promptly supplied after I mentioned something, and we had been taking extra showers to rinse away beach sand anyway. The included breakfast was delicious, too. The yogurt, oatmeal, and muffins were delicious enough, and that's before they bring out the actual menu!

The location was also perfect. There are so many nearby quality establishments that we only ate at one restaurant twice and still managed to walk everywhere during our week's stay. The areas along Olas Altas and the historic district are safe and fun and seemed more interesting/relaxing to us than the Golden Zone. If or when we ever make it back to Mazatlan, we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pianominstrel
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

Leyendas is wonderfully located in Mazatlan Viejo, several blocks away from Plazuela Machado and the Cathedral, and only 1/2 block to the Malecon along the beach. Lots to do and to see for a comfortable and easy visit. The property is clean and modern but with a taste of elegance and style that makes you feel at home in Old Mazatlan. The home is tastefully appointed certainly evoking the feeling of a Mexican home. The conveniences such as wireless and Vonnage phones add tremendously. The utilities such as water, plumbing and air condtioning are top of the line. The rooms are superb, each with a theme...spacious and comfortable. The place is well kept and you can see that they take pride in their preventative maintenance program. The breakfast's were elegant...special meals off the menu...and all of them say something about Mexico and Mazatlan.Glen and Sharon are really enjoyable to be with and they really are attentive to assisting you in making your trip and your visit memorable. They do more than you would expect. They make you feel "at home" in their home. This is a "5 star" place to stay!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

Besides the fabulous location, this B&B is unbelievably comfortable! The house was clean, open, impressively decorated, and comes with wonderful owners. I am planning on coming back with my family.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

First, I must say that the B&B is gorgeous! Glenn and Sharon were exceptional hosts. The staff was very sweet and welcoming. We were definitely well cared for! Our room (#6) was very peaceful and the feather bed topped mattress was the most comfortable place we've slept in years. We had breakfast made to order every morning served with love and let me tell you ... it was delicious! A memorable stay to say the least!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sukisanch
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2010

Sharon & Glenn are marvelous, gracious hosts very eager assure that their guests enjoy their stay. Unsually accommodating, helpful and knowledgeable in suggesting local points of interest & dining.Their pride in their beautifully renovated home is well justified. The spacious, tastefully decorated private rooms & common areas are appealing at every turn. A tranquil, quiet, & secure setting. Excelently located to the delightful plazas of the historic district & the scenic bay's bustling sea front malecon. This is a true gem.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends