All reviews ceiling fan basic room bring earplugs mexican life mexican hotel light sleeper the ground floor hot water minute walk tradicional balcony gringo malecon
Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

As you read many reviews you will see it depends on which room you get. We stayed in a basic room on the second floor and it was right above a small sports bar. So we would here music and billiards and TV each night for a few hours. All note you will hear street noise , as expected. You must understand that even more expensive hotels in town will be noisy, if you are a light sleeper, make sure to bring earplugs, and that the room can close up an us AC. Upper floors and away from the street will help. We have stashed at probably 20 such hotels. And the Villa Del Mar is a perfect choice. FYI there are bigger suites on the top floors which are often used by gringos for long term stays. Good hot water. Clean room friendly staff. Good central location

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan S
Hotel440, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Villa Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2018

Thank you so much for your review. We really
Appreciated. Thanks again for choosing Hotel Villa Del Mar. Hope you come back soon. :)

Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 10 days. Incredible price. $35 a night. Upgraded to a balcony for an extra $5 a night. Being in town right in the romantic district this is not a quiet place but we love the local sounds which create a wonderful ambience. Basic room with small bathroom, tv and overhead fan (most local places will not have ac. If you want to experience the true Mexican life this is the place. We will definitely come stay here again. Great tacos on the corner for $1.50.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UBPFC
Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

Had a great stay at this low budget but very clean and welcoming hotel.
Room was on the ground floor, #1, facing the courtyard. Minimal noise from the street but I would bring earplugs for sleeping as noise echoes from the courtyard. My room was small but absolutely comfortable. Ceiling fan did the trick but there was an air conditioner if you needed it.
The rooftop patio was awesome with amazing views.
Staff were friendly and the location is fantastic. Close to all kinds of restaurants, the Malecon is 5 blocks away, and as a solo female traveller I never felt anything but safe and comfortable.
I will stay here again!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
5  Thank LLauscher
Reviewed February 1, 2018

First, this is the Tradicional Hotel Villa Del Mar in central downtown Puerto Vallarta, NOT the beach resort Villa Del Mar. If you are a traveler, I think you would like this hotel. If you are a tourist, probably not. I chose the Villa Del Mar because I wanted to stay in the heart of the PV community. This hotel attracts Mexican families, so is good with the natives. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My room was tiny and basic but clean. But for me I just needed a place to sleep after being out all day. It is in the heart of downtown PV, so can be noisy at night. Villa Del Mar is about a 10 minute walk to the Malcona and beach. Easy to get to and I felt safe both during the day and night. The upstairs roof balcony is nice and when I was there rarely visited by others. We took a prepaid "Grayline" shuttle car from the airport to the hotel, and back when our trip was over. On that note, when you arrive at the PV airport march directly out of the airport ignoring all the many, many, many timeshare con people who will try to confuse you and get you to their swindle timeshares. We had a great trip with plenty of good food and for me some tasty Mexican beers!

Room Tip: No elevators if you get a 2nd or 3rd floor room.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank 511bennied
Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

I had been delighted see the pictures and location in Romantic Zone for a great price on Expedia.
But when we arrived, the entire hotel reeked so badly of a strong disinfectant that I got an instant headache. For the price quoted, our room was “inside” with no windows or ac and we paid to upgrade to an “exterior” hoping some airflow would take out the smell. It did help a little but the noise level was so bad with the open windows that we had to go buy earplugs to sleep.
The rooms didn’t look anything like the pictures posted online. You couldn’t open one side of the closet door because it looked like termites had chewed the bottom to splinters, there was a light bulb hanging over a rusted mirror in the bathroom, and almost no hot water.
I asked the front desk if we could get out of our two week prepaid contract with a one day penalty fee. They said it had nothing to do with them....all up to Expedia. I tried to phone all the numbers Expedia provided and none of them worked in Mexico. I sent many emails and got no response except the automatic “Thank you for your enquiry. Someone will be in touch”.
After a week of headaches and no sleep, I was so sick that I paid the airline change fee and cut my holiday short. On the way home, I received an email from Expedia saying they were sorry but the hotel policy was no refunds and Expedia could therefore do nothing.
I will never stay at that hotel or use Expedia again. Terrible customer service from both!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank omigod55
Hotel440, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Villa Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2018

Dear Mr & Mrs Stevenson,

Thanks again for your review. We are a Traditional Mexican Hotel no frills just a great price for a very nice area in Old Town.We are going to work hard in that closet to be honest making a new one. :) Sorry to hear all your bad experience at Villa del Mar Hotel and make a reservation through Expedia company.