“Good location to explore PV” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive

Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Ranked #28 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Roma, Italy
“Good location to explore PV”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We picked this hotel mainly for the location and we were not disappointed. It allows you to walk pretty much everywhere. The hotel is well set up also for families and it has a nice space with 2 swimming pools, a nice area with lounge chairs in the water where you can relax and have a drink facing the ocean. There's a private beach and service included. Our room was at the 3rd floor and had a little balcony with garden and ocean view. The room was very spacious and well mantained. The bathroom was spacious as well, just needed a little mantainance for the shower. The hotel is a few blocks from Malecon and you can walk towards the Zona Romantica where all the little typical restaurants are (our favorite in that area was Cafe' de Olla, better to make a reservation). Breakfast we had a little later (and we'd consider it more like a daily brunch) and it's really delicious and abundant. We consider that a very strong point for the Buenaventura hotel. On that note we had to deal with a little inconveniences. By the time we booked the trip on Expedia, we have received from it a coupon for free breakfasts on our 7 days holiday, which seemed to be easy to get but... when we got there we've been told that there was no name on the coupon therefore it wasn't valid. We spent much time on the phone and sent numerous email to clarify this with Expedia which was very helpful in convincing the hotel to honor the coupon. The front desk was really helpful but we ended up having the final OK the same day we checked out. That was worth it, cause the breakfast would have cost to us over 400 dollars. So our suggestion is to make sure everything is clear when you check in. You'll save time/money. A very good restaurant not too far from the hotel (it needs a cab, anyway) it's called "La Langosta Feliz". Not a fancy area and not touristic but the seafood is really excellent (it needs a reservation).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank E_travellers_10
Buenaventura G, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this review, 29 January 2016
Estimado cliente, agradecemos sus comentarios, son fundamentales para poder mejorar.
Dear guest, we thank your comments, we work on improving our services.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Great location close to the Malecon. The hotel staff was most attentive and helpful. I will certainly return in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank transcendentraveller
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

We just returned from our 4th stay and 14 wonderful days staying at the exquisite Buenaventura Grand Hotel.  We were pleasantly greeted by the cheerful staff upon arrival. Check in was quick, and our ocean view room was stunning.  From the moment we arrived at the Buenaventura until our departure, we were treated to excellent service, outstanding food and genuine, sincere staff, we felt like family!  Thank you Raul Garcia Gustavo. We fell in love with the resort the first time and astound to love it even more with each visit. This visit unlike the last 3, were with a few friends, 2 other couples that were thrilled to check out the resort. The hotel was perfect, our friends loved it, and they were truly impressed and can appreciate why we return time after time.  The hotel offers many wonderful activities each day, and with best efforts of the staff to get the guests involved.  The food was delish and is easily available any time. We enjoyed waking up and heading down for breakfast where we were greeted with smiles, and hospitable service, thank you goes out to Francisko Pilas. Thank you, to the brilliant bartenders Carlos, Nicholas and Diego that make the absolute best drinks that one could imagine! The hotel offers internet, and the location is by far the best, every evening we would take strolls to the malacon and downtown. Thank you for everything Alessandro Stifani, it was a pleasure to meet your family. Thank you to all the wonderful, welcoming, pleasant and cheery staff, you have made our vaccay an absolute remarkable one! We can’t wait to see you all again real soon! We highly recommend the resort and hope you have an amazing vacation as we did!

Eva & George Brada
Edmonton, Alberta

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank ebrada
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

No place is perfect. Service begins for me, at least when you need help. Note, the restaurant staff in general work hard, in hope for tips and I obliged.

Reception staff ignore you until they are ready. They abound like flies buzzing droppings but would rather answer phones or count cash than deal with a line of guests, including 1. I needed cash changed, called down and asked if they did so. Alma says yes. I get downstairs later and told I need my passport, four floors up. I go up and return later with the amount she said she could change. Get there and with her constant daze and pause, she hums and haws to exclaim no money left so go to bank. She says it closes at 8pm. Where is it. Just up the street, not far. I ask for a street name or a map. More stares. Then off to concierge, a real nasty piece of work. She says desk is wrong and ban closes an hour earlier. She gives me a map, no street names but landmarks that all proved to be wrong.

Then they took me for $120 plus dollars and got mad at me, again this selfish and frankly dishonest concierge while the reception desk sits in dire need of training. My tour operator said I needed a letter from the hotel and they passed on the request for an entire vacation day to say they refused.

At my own cost I am changing hotels and wish anyone thinking of coming here to consider it like an insurance policy. Why pay out good money only to get red tape and denials. There is more but you hopefully get the picture.

I usually stay at all inclusive resorts that sit secluded, not downtown. So any sinternet and skype calls forced into lobby wireless wifi, very irregular signal amid traffic noise and constant soccer matches or music blaring. Hardly a quiet paradise...lol.

The small place means limited everything: seating, restaurant space and they have only two plus buffet. Food fine but a la carte offers the very same food, recycled.

The front office attitude defies belief. I travel for a living so I see lots of flavours but moving a few waiters into the office would raise their bar to acceptably competitive.

Room Tip: High floor near beach or get earplugs
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Qbing
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

As a disclaimer, I've never been to Puerto Vallarta before so a lot of this review is not only my impression of the hotel, but also my experience in PV as well.

I would give this hotel/resort 3.5 stars. I would definitely stay here again mostly because of its location and if I was guaranteed an oceanview/oceanfront room with a balcony (which we had and took full advantage of, starting and ending our days there).

Here is a pro/con list of our experience and my impressions of our experience.

Pros:

-When we booked our package through Sunwing we chose the all-inclusive option (even though we planned to eat all our evening meals off the resort as way to explore the town) and an ocean-view room. When we arrived I was somewhat anxious about what kind of room they would offer us and was extremely happy that we had an oceanfront room (1148) with an excellent view of the pools and ocean beyond. We spent a lot of time on that balcony (even setting up our iPad on the ledge and watching a movie one evening while listening to the ocean waves in the background - very relaxing!)

-the location was perfect. Beachfront on one side and the bustling town just out the front entrance. We loved the 10 minute walk to the Malecon (along with the Malecon itself). We walked everywhere and only twice took cabs. We felt very safe everywhere we went.

-the staff (with the exception of most of the front desk staff we dealt with) were awesome and there seemed to be great camaraderie amongst the serving staff. Our server by the activities pool (I can't remember his name) was awesome - he offered to bring us lunch to our chairs two days in a row (and even suggested a very tasty shrimp dish which we really enjoyed).

Cons:

-the front desk staff we dealt with weren't very helpful. We realized the night we arrived that we needed a key for the fridge in the room. After supper we went to the front desk and asked for that key and one for the in-room safe. The person replied that they were out of both, wrote down our room number and asked us to check again in the morning. When we did so the next morning, they told us to check back again at 1pm (after check-out time) as they would have a supply then. Since we're on holiday, we didn't check back right at 1 and later in the afternoon, asked again and were told the supply was gone. When my bf questioned them, they "found" a safe key for us, but no fridge key and were again asked to come back the next day. Grrrr! Finally, we figured out a way to jimmy the lock and continued to do that for the rest of our stay (and the fridge was re-stocked daily).

-the chair saving towel trick was a major annoyance. We're on holiday, we don't want to get up at 5am to go out and save a couple of chairs so we have the spot we want at 9 or 10 am. It's ridiculous. On one occasion we were lucky enough to get two chairs by the beach in the shade and noticed that the two chairs in the shade beside us (with two towels and a book on one of them) went unused from 9am to about 3pm when a young woman sitting in the sun near us the whole time we were there got up and picked up the towels and book and left. That's just so inconsiderate.

Perhaps a solution is to have different coloured towels for the beach/pool instead of the same as the room towels.

Impressions:

-I loved that it's a resort where Mexicans also go to holiday. We were there from a Wednesday-Wednesday and on the weekend there were lots of Mexican people on holiday. One day by the pool I was lucky enough to witness two young girls (about 7 years old) one from Winnipeg and one from Mexico make friends with one another. The Mexican girl was so happy that she introduced the girl to her parents. It made me smile for a long time.

-our room was nice and don't think I've stayed in a cleaner room. Everyday it was cleaned spotlessly.

-I was entertained by the beach vendors. I was worried beforehand that I would find them irritating, but I really enjoyed watching them and was never really bothered by them. If you say no or shake your head they will leave you alone. Don't forget, that sometimes they really are selling things you might want to buy! I ended up having a fun experience bargaining for a beautiful bracelet and pendant that I would have paid much for in one of the jewelry stores on the Malecon.

Just keep in mind, it's part of the experience and you likely won't find them irritating.

-whether you are on the AI or European plan, you will be asked for your room number when ordering drinks or food. At first, I thought this was odd, but it makes sense from the hotel's perspective as they can figure out who needs to be charged for what.

-we were never bothered by the noise from the pool bar. I think a lot of what people experience depends on the other people who are staying there. Sometimes it will be a loud crowd and sometimes it will be more sedate. You just never know, that's the chance you take when traveling.

-Remember that the conversion rate from pesos to Canadian/American dollars is not 10:1, it's more like 12:1 so if you are leaving 20 pesos as a tip, you're giving less than $2.

All in all, we would stay here again if we were guaranteed a similar room to the one we had (I don't think our experience would have been the same if we were on the street side) solely because the location is so superb and most of the staff were so attentive.

I also have to say I read many of the threads in the Puerto Vallarta forum prior to leaving since I'd never been before and having now returned from a very relaxing and enjoyable trip, you don't have to worry about many of the things that are talked about. Quite frankly, I got a little thrill walking through the "shark tank" at the airport. I knew it was my mission not to engage them, so I just smiled and said no thanks. It's a 30 second experience on your trip, so just smile and walk on through! We felt safe in Puerto Vallarta, just keep your wits about you, pay attention, but enjoy yourself.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank javgrl
Collingwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We just got back yesterday from Mexico and we had such a great time at the Buenaventura. The staff were amazing! So friendly and accommodating. Eduardo was our server for most of our trip and he was fantastic! We loved the fact that it was a smaller resort. We were close to everything, from our room, to the bathrooms, to the restaurants, and the bars. It is in such a great location, 10 minute walk to the boardwalk and all the shops and restaurants and 15 minutes from the airport. The resort is safe and clean. We spent the extra money for an oceanview room and it was totally worth it. We were in 1246 and it was great! We saw dolphins from our room while sitting on our balcony one morning, what a treat! I think the only complaint that we had were that the beds were really hard and pretty uncomfortable, but we made due.

The great thing is that there is no cap on the a la carte dining. you just have to book the day of between 9am-2pm. The food was really good. The breakfast buffet was great, lots of options and everything seemed fresh. We only ate at the dinner buffet once, we did enjoy it. Again lots of variety.

They do not have enough safe keys for every room (don't understand why), so we didn't get a safe key until the afternoon on our second day. Just get your room number on the list right away.

Do be aware, there are sales people in the lobby offering "promotions" to see a new sister property, it is a timeshare sell. He/she will flat out say it is not a timeshare sell and offer you great incentives to go. If you're up for it, have at it, however, if you have no interest in timeshares, decline.

We would definitely go back to the Buenaventura.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street, some couples we met said their rooms were kind of noisy. Again...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SmallyK
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Hi Guys, I was honeymooning at this hotel 2 weeks ago (Feb.20, 2012). As everyone has mentioned, the location of this property is just right. It's a 10min walk from the boardwalk (the Malecan), as well as from the little cozy streets to wander around in. A lot of the reviewers kept mentioning that this property is old - I didn't notice. The lobby is spacious and open, the restaurants overlook the ocean, and the hall, rooms, pools are clean.

We had the all-inclusive package - we knew we'd be very tired after the wedding and didn't want to look for restaurants to eat at 3 times a day. So, the food was all right. My husband is a vegetarian and he had a hard time finding non-meat dishes to eat because lots of things had bacon added to them, like potatoes, quiches, soups. But I could eat everything and I really enjoyed the soups, salads, breakfast was amazing!!!! probably the best deal there... chicken was good; white fish was sometimes overcooked. But the deserts were great!

If you want to get a stronger drink at the bar, we found out that you need to tip the bartenders BEFORE your order (no more than 10 pesos, which is 1 buck).

To get from the airport, taxi will cost you 18USD. But the buses are safe and are 65pesos(65cents). As you exit the airport, bypass all the taxi drivers and make a left, go toward the big street. the buss stop is right there - or look for a blue sign with a buss face on it.... you don't need to cross the street, as you'll be going over the bright to the right.... Before boarding the bus, ask the driver if he is going to El Centro or just give him the name of your hotel........... Also, if you are super hungry upon arrival, across the street there are 2 Mexican family restaurants, we went to the smaller one and it was delicious!!!

If you want to book some recursions, the hotel charges you an arm and a leg; find guys on the street to hook you up and just don't give them the full payment until they get you there... Or tell the hotel person your price and they will work with you. Remember, it's Mexico - they make a living on ripping tourists off! Bargain!!! So, a few tips - a massage for one hour should be no more than 35dollars per person. A zip-lining excursion should be no more than 40bucks..........

Oh and one more thing, if you get peckish, don't forget to get room service - the quesadillas are amazing!!!

Room Tip: We had a room facing the street, I liked it; it engaged us with the city. The pool view rooms can g...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple