I went with my two teenage daughters, wife and her mom and we have been spoiled by the white sand and green waters of the Caribbean side so going to PV for our spring break was not my first choice (also having been there 3 times before). However, I have to say, after getting there and to this quaint, Mexican style hotel, I really enjoyed my stay well beyond my expectations. Yes, the sand is brownish and the water a bit cooler (especially at this time of the year), but it beat being in rainy and cold Vancouver. The people here were very friendly and helpful (sorry to see a few reviews below that say contrary), the food was good with lots of options (i liked it better than my wife who feels some extra choices in dessert and some fresh cheeses would have been nice), the hotel was located in a great location. It felt tropical and peaceful when inside and just step out the front doors and you're in the hustle and bustle of real Mexico. Loved that! The grounds, pool and rooms were all kept clean. People have to remember that this isn't the Fairmont hotel and there are going to be a few glitches here and there...make the best of it...you're in Mexico!!! Here are my pro's and con's
- Location - as mentioned above, great combination of quiet tropical feel and also the real Mexico once you step outside the doors. A short 10 minute walk to the Malecon either on the road or on the beach
- Food was tasty and waiters always smiling and willing to get you something. We never got sick and my favorite was breakfast which had the eggs made in front of you, always with a smile. The restaurant by the beach was so great and had a beatiful view of the ocean while having your lunch or dinner. The a-la-cartes were just ok, not great. But they try hard.
- Jorge at the pool and beach was great and really went out of his way to make you comfortable. So did Blanca, Omar, Gustavo, Lluvia, Rosa and many others that I have forgotten. These guys don't earn well and rely on tips so tip well.
- Rooms were clean and fridge was always restocked daily. So were the towels. A/C and fridge worked
- The free internet service really helped (you can use their own computers or the free wifi in the lobby) as we could send emails to everyone to let them know we were all ok
- felt very safe there. I know there's a lot in the news about going to Mexico but really felt safe. No one hassled us. Yes, you get the peddlers on the beach but a polite "no gracias' and they were gone.
- Lot's of lounge chairs at the pool and at the beach (the week we were there). Got up after 9am a few days and still got a hut on the beach. Yes, the busier holidays might be tougher to get them, but don't go then :-). Actually we went there from March 11-18 and it was fairly quiet until the last few days when all the locals came into the hotel due to a Mexican holiday and it really got busy but still not bad. Got busier at the bars!
- We went with my mother who has trouble walking, but the hotel was very handicapped friendly. Elevators, ramps, walk in showers, etc
- A few doors down was a massage place for 25 bucks for a one hour massage! And it was really good too.
- Sunsets were beautiful
- Because its a smaller hotel, getting upgraded to a room with a balcony was tough. Our room was actually really nice with an ocean view but no balcony.
- You get a better exchange rate at the bank a few blocks down the street than at the hotel. But yes, you will still need to show your passport.
- Again the beach is not the white sandy beach and green waters so that was a bit of a downer for us... but made the best of it. The colder Pacific waters, rockier beach and undertow didn't allow us to swim in the ocean for very long like we love to do when we go somewhere tropical.
- The night entertainment was just ok. It's not on every night so some evenings were quieter. One night they had a band playing some great tunes, but that was about it.
- Really didn't take part in the daily activities so can't comment on that. They did have a free tile painting lesson for the kids and my 2 teenage daughters really enjoyed that.
- The halls can be quite noisy and echo a lot which can be a problem for light sleepers when you have drunk teenagers running through them at 4 in the morning. Not really the hotels fault though
That's all I can think of right now. Hope you find this helpful. If you need more info, feel free to message me.
Note that my mother-in-law can't do stairs very well and unfortunately the Sunwing plane didn't stop at the gate with a ramp. It stopped on the tarmac and they brought those stair thingy's to the plane which really made it tough for her to go down. So if you are travelling with someone like that, please be aware of this. Not sure if this happens all the time because when we left PV, the plane came to the gate with a ramp so it was ok.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Treat yourself to an unequalled all-inclusive resort experience at the best location in Puerto Vallarta. Beach, sunshine, tropical setting, vibrant spaces with color and joy, we provide everything you're looking for. A breath-taking place to relax and enjoy a fun-filled getaway. Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments invites you to enjoy its all-inclusive program with its excellent cuisine, as well as numerous activities suitable for the entire family. Our 234 rooms and suites include all of the comforts and amenities you'll require for an unforgettable stay, regardless of the purpose of your trip. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buenaventura Grand Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Buenaventura Puerto Vallarta
- Buenaventura Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Buenaventura Grand Puerto Vallarta
- Buenaventura Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta