“Fantastic Time!”

Ranked #4 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Fantastic Time!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I just returned from Velas Vallarta yesterday. Had an incredible time again. Jaciento was my waiter at the bar. He is my hero. I always know when I come down he will take excellent care of me and whoever I bring with me. He is the reason I would never go to another resort. There is a lot to be said in knowing what you are going to get. The other waiters are also excellent. Gilberto always made me smile. He is also an excellent waiter and I love that he snaps his fingers to the music and smiles all day long. I would also like to thank Pablo and Dama for talking great care of us at breakfast.

The resort is just beautiful and the service is wonderful. I love that I can go and not worry about anything. If you have the chance to go you need to check out Victors. It is with in walking distance from the resort in the Marina. It is a very safe area so you do not have to worry.

I love this resort!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean. Some of the Studios can have a little more restricted view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lisas2urn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (901)
Deephaven
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We actually have two more days left on our vacation but since I have time to write, here goes...
This is our first time trying the all-inclusive. We were a bit hesitant since it may not be such a great deal for us since we don't drink alcohol. However, we have thought that the food is consistently very good. We have also consumed our fair share of virgin pina coladas, mango and strawberry daquiris. I really like the pina coladas and the mango daquiris.
We also are in a two room with 4 kids. This has worked great as we have a king bed in our room, two queens in the other and then they have a couch that they make up every night with turn down service. It could actually sleep another since they brought in a cot as well-- although no one has actually used it. This was a better deal for us since for the two bedrooms they must charge you for 4 adults. We have two that are teenagers so we would have had to pay for 4 adults anyway. We originally booked a three bedroom but then we would have had to pay for 6 adults which would have been a bit of a rip since two of our kids are under 11. With the two bedroom, somehow we got a deal where one of the kids was free.

Back to the food-- the Andrea is very good and you must make reservations in the morning. They have a different theme every night. We usually make reservations when we come down for breakfast in the morning. We especially like the made to order omelets there.
The dinners there have been outstanding for the most part. The service has been very good.
There is also another restaurant called the Ribera that does not require reservations in the evening. We usually go there for lunch and would especially recommend the stir fry bar there. We went there once for dinner and had the grilled steak and chicken for the South Pacific night. The teriyaki chicken and the fish that night were also delicious.
The Mexican fiesta was a lot of fun-- the food was great. The entertainment was OK. They had a raffle but made the "winners" do a lot of crazy stuff to get their prize. It made us all happy not to win. The emcee was a bit obnoxious, actually. The mariachi band was great. The dancers were OK. I liked the sword dance a lot though.

The pools are crowded early in the day. It is important to save a spot if you want to go early in the day. The first half of the week we only went in the afternoon and didn't have a problem.
It has been a busy week with many Mexican tourists as well. I did the water aerobics one day and that was fun. I just haven't been here the rest of the time to do it at 12:30 when it is offered.
We did the Los Veranos zip lining tour which was great. We also did the free city tour offered by the resort. This was a lot of fun. We only did the first half and got off at the flea market because we wanted to stay and shop and look around without being shuttled to a factory or stuck buying lunch when we could go back and eat for free. It worked out well since our kids wanted to get back to swimming. We also went to the boardwalk (Malecon) at night. This is a lot of fun and there are a lot of street performers, sand castles, crowds and cool street foods to try. It was crazy busy but fun. We took the bus down which was cheap-- $3.60 and took the taxi back which was $10 for our family of 6. We also went on a power walking tour that was a lot of fun to see the back streets of Puerto Vallarta.
It has been a fun trip and I'd recommend this resort. My kids didn't do the kids club because they had too much fun swimming. I wish it had a little nicer beach but we've spent our time in the pool. We may try Playa de Animas tomorrow.
The all-inclusive has been fun. It is nice not to worry about what your kids are ordering and have the freedom to get whatever you feel like getting especially when the food is consisitently good. If it was just my husband and me though, I think I'd maybe prefer to explore restaurants on our own because there seem to be a lot of great ones downtown.
For tennis players-- my husband says that the rackets they provide are fine but you might want to bring your own balls.
Also-- we were on the 7th floor and had a beautiful view and fell asleep to the sound of the ocean every night.

Room Tip: Choose a higher room in order to have a better view of the ocean and to get away from the pool noise...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank missymalloo
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Our 4th visit to Velas and may have been even better this time around. We've booked each time thru RCI and always receive great rooms with incredible views. Airport transfers are always a breeze, checkin is smooth and quick. Our 8th floor 3 bedroom suite was the best yet of our 4 visits. It appears the menu has grown in the beachfront restaurant with the addition of stir fry in the afternoons. Suppers also appear to have improved in both menu and presentation there. As is always the case, room service, pool service and wait staff is 2nd to none. Andrea's restaurant is as good as i remember it being in the past. If you're looking for 5 star, Grand Velas may be more that speed. Velas would more be the class of resort as the "palace resorts" with better drinks, service and location.

Room Tip: Morning sun for rooms in building 4, afternoon sun in building 3.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Magic32_11
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Everytime I go to Velas, I always find myself loving it more and missing it even more now that we are home. It is a great resort located just south of the airport. Even though you are close to the runway, we never felt annoyed by the sound of airplane engines. I have been here four times now, and I plan on coming back due to a connection with a time share owner. We always have a great time at the resort and almost all of the workers are extremely nice and welcoming. The pools offer variety and the "lazy" river connecting them is always a nice venture. The resort offers many different options for all demographics; water-aerobics in the main pool, beach volleyball, massages on the beach, swim up bar with large palapa for shade, ping-pong tables, arts and crafts, the list goes on... All in all, it is a great place for families, couples and friends to relax and soak up the sun.

Room Tip: Most balcony rooms on the south building have a great view of sunsets.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RumYak14
Trenton, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just returned from Velas Vallarta and it was without a doubt the best vacation ever. 4 of us shared a condo and the staff treated us like we were the only ones at the resort. Although there was only 2 restaurants on the resort the food was plentiful with lots of choices. The night life was good for couples our age who were not into the funfilled nights of drinking and disco. The Mariachi band was amazing and played in various locations throughout the resort. Although my friend did get sick from a combination of too much sun and a gastrointestinal problem which required the house doctor to be called, the staff were johnny on the spot to assist and even absorbed the costs of all medication required.
This resort is like paradise. They have aspecial playland and pool for young children with daily hourly activities with lots of staff to keep them occupied.
Overall we had a wonderful time and will be returning to this resort.

Room Tip: Not a bad room at this resort!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Highlands Ranch, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2012

4 friends sharing a condo and everything was just perfect, we did the all inclusive and were treated like we were the only guests.

Clean, great service, always a smile from the wonderful staff

Room Tip: Just be friendly
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2012 via mobile

Four years running this is the most relaxing fun filled vacation ever. Great weather, great staff, and impeccable service. The swim up Aquabar is phenomenal. The wait staff at Aquabar with Gilberto, Alonso, Fransisco, and Marcelino are unmatched in service! One more tequila!

Stayed March 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
0.4 km away
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#8 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
5.6 km away
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & ...
#6 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
4.7 km away
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
1.2 km away
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#30 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!