“Accommodations at Krystal :(”

Krystal Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #62 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 18 March 2012

When we arrived in our room, it smelled, was in awful condition. My husband complained and Javiar upgraded us to a much nicer room:( That was a good experience but....the swim up bars are gone, only 3 restaurants, one of which is the only place to eat breakfast. The staff are amazing and very friendly. Will never go again during spring break, rude, arrogant college kids bombarded the resort. We made the best of our vacation anyway as we met a wonderful couple from Colorado to hang out with.

Room Tip: stay at a different resort
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Karen S
krystalconcierge, Guest Relations Manager at Krystal Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Thank´s for allow us the oportunity to pamper you.
It was a real pleasure that one of each of us assist you as you deserve.
See you soon
All hotel Staff

Javier Vergara Rosales
(Guest Service Manager)

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have stayed at the Krystal in the past, and since its construction, its hard to go back. The area that wse always hung out at, the swimup bar, is gone. there is no more sitting on the beach at the bar watching the waves. The beach area seems so disconnected from the property and very small.

Room Tip: The rooms arent as clean as I would prefer
Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank cinderella2127
krystalconcierge, Guest Relations Manager at Krystal Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Thank-you for the review of Krystal Hotels from the perspective of a long-standing member. As you mentioned in your review, we recently redesigned the hotel pool and some other renovations around the hotel to bring it to a more modern and stylish look. Some of the redesigns are very different from what they replaced, and as always big changes take some getting used to - for some of our guests who were expecting familiarity it was a big surprise.
It took us staff-members a bit to get used to as well, but we now absolutely LOVE the new look and feel to the hotel. While the swim-up bar may not exist anymore, our pool-side waiters will be more than happy to take your order and bring your drinks to the side of the pool for you.
Thanks again for the review - we look forward to the next visit to Krystal Hotels for you and your friends and/or family.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

First, there is NO swim-up bar at the resort. The 'New Tower' and a great portion of the property has now become part of a Hilton Hotel Chain, and is now fenced off by a beautiful white wall, behind which a lot of really loud construction is taking place. The pools have totally changed and are substantially smaller. The one on the South side is considered the 'Adult Pool', with classic rock being played constantly. The 'Family Pool' on the North side is away from the bar area, and has no music playing. However, when Spring Break hits, the small adult pool area fills up, and the students take venture towards the family side. The hot-tubs are not really "HOT", but on the upper end of warm. A good place to hang out when the weather cools.

If you are lucky you will receive 2 bottles of water per room per day, that is if it actually gets delivered. Towels are a little stingy with no face cloths, and only one hand towel. The rooms are generally well cleaned, but in the room in the older building we stayed in the wooden beams over the bathroom windows are rotting out, and we debated over whether it was the beams that smelled, or sewage. The shower and sink backed up constantly. There was often a good inch or two of water in the shower. Perhaps this is just a common issue with these older buildings and plumbing.

Most of the staff dining are fantastic and friendly, but overworked. 12 hour days, with only 1 day off/week, and are run off their feet. I have no clue what their salaries are, but they are definitely working for tips. Our package said tips were included, so we refused to tip, and much of the service dropped significantly - that was until the staff learned we were leaving the next day, and suddenly the they upped the anti, possibly hoping for vacation-end tips.

The breakfast buffet was pretty consistant with Mexican and North American options. At the grill you can order omletts and fresh pancakes. The lunch buffet was not bad. Dinner occassionally had something creative. The snack bar was being rebuilt, and a temporary structure was set up next to the hottubs, so I don't think they had their full menu in place.

Only select beer, wine and liquor are included in the all inclusive plan. We were certain to find out which these were and had no surprises at the end of our trip at checkout. Corona is NOT included.

The beach - the waves are strong, and not safe to play in for children, but the sand is fantastic for making castles. Aside from being constantly inundated by local vendors on the beach, it was one of our favorite places to hang out. The beach was kept really clean.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Tristic3
Reviewed 13 March 2012

By the time we arrived at the hotel we had tremendous anticipation for warm sun, fun and relaxation. Because of the large number of arrivals at the same time the hotel concierge was who welcomed us to the hotel. Not only did Javier begin our stay with prompt service but with a warm smile and wonderful recommendations. Our accommodations were not only clean but exceptionally beautiful.
Food at the hotel for breakfast (fresh squeezed O.J.) and lunch was good. However, I (being a foodie) recommend many of the areas great restaurants (River Cafe, Dacquari Dicks, Del Santos etc. for a nice dinner out. My family particularily enjoyed the pool/beach drink and food service. Everyday we were greeted with a huge hug and smile by Enrique and Avelinho. Their prompt attention to our every need was above and beyond expectations. AIl in all the hospitality and staff at Krystal Valarta were wonderful. Thanks for a warm and memorable vacation. I will be back!!

Room Tip: Speak to Javier
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Linda C
Reviewed 12 March 2012

- At the time we booked this resort, I had done research for several weeks and had narrowed it down to several resorts. The reason that we choose Krystal Vallarta was because of the following advertised amenities/inclusions:
o 24 hour all-inclusive
o Included/Unlimited International & Domestic Alcohol
o Various Ariel shots of the large pools and swim-up bars
o 2 Swim-up bars
o Disco on the resort that was included (drinks/cover… etc.)
o All taxes & gratuities
o During a phone conversation with the WestJet Vacations call center I explained that my boyfriend and I were a young couple and asked their opinion on the resort, I was told that we would fit in “just great” and would be a perfect resort for us.
- When we arrived at the airport, we were met on the other side of security by a WestJet representative who said that she was sent by WestJet to Puerto Vallarta to be present for any concerns – she said that a representative would meet us at our resort the following day to discuss what was included… etc. We assumed that she would be the one at our resort; however, a representative from a local tour group instead of the WestJet rep. who could not address any of our concerns met us. A different couple we met from Calgary was met by the actual WestJet rep., and was able to have some of their concerns addressed, which are similar to those I list below.
- Upon arriving at Krystal Vallarta, we quickly learned that none of what was sold to us by WestJet Vacations was actually true/included.
- It appeared that the pictures on WestJet’s website did not actually resemble the resort when we arrived, the pools were not the same, and there were no swim up bars. After talking with resort staff they informed us that the pools had been demolished, along with the swim up bars, and this section of the resort had been sold to the Hilton. They informed us that these renovations were completed in approximately October/November; I did not book my vacation until December and was not informed of any of these changes.
- We were placed in a hotel room directly beside the construction site, so at 7:00am we were woken up to crashing and smashing. This was certainly not how we planned to spend what was supposed to be a relaxing holiday. We called the front desk and asked them to move us to a new room, they said they would send someone right away – we waited half an hour and nobody showed up so we took our own luggage all the way across the resort to the front desk, were finally given a new room, and received no help moving our luggage into the new room.
- When we tried to order a Corona, we were told that they didn’t have any. We then saw a customer who was not all-inclusive order a Corona no problem. The only alcohol we were able to get was watered down domestic alcohol. We finally learned that Bacardi was included, but spent 20 minutes arguing with the bartenders to be able to get this.
- We tried to go to the Disco one night; the line up was down the street in front of the resort, because it was so busy. We were told that we had to stand in line, pay cover, and pay for drinks. This was not what we were told by WestJet Vacations, and did not want to spend the money doing this so didn’t bother standing in the line.
- The first night we arrived, we were a little bit confused about the tipping, as I was told that all tips were included in what we had already paid. Obviously we would have been happy to tip the bartenders and other staff members when deserved, but we were immediately harassed for tips by the hotel staff when delivering our baggage to our room – when given the tip he acted very rudely towards us and didn’t even thank us.
- I was also under the impression that we would be provided water, considering that we were in a country where we couldn’t drink the tap water. When coming to our room after cleaning, we were lucky to even have one bottle of water if any – otherwise they tried to charge you for the water in the minibar located in the room. The last day we were there we had no water whatsoever so called the front desk, they said they would send someone right away – we proceeded to call three more times over the next hour and finally went down to the lobby ourselves to get it, my boyfriend argued with the front desk staff for an additional five minutes before they would even give him one bottle!
- Lastly, we had to check out at noon but were not being picked up to go to the airport until 6:00pm. We were told by the representative WestJet sent to our resort that we would be allowed to keep our bracelets on until we left so that we could still get food. When checking out at noon, the staff tired to take our bracelets off and again after arguing for another 10 or 15 minutes, and the lady making numerous phone calls they allowed us to keep them on.

As you can see from the above points I have outlined, we were sold on a vacation that was very different from what WestJet Vacations had promised us. Looking at the pictures advertised on {--------------], as well as the other points I am appalled that WestJet Vacations is allowed to advertise things so incorrectly when it comes to this resort. Upon our return to Canada I immediately checked the resort to see if any changes had been made on the WestJet website, and can assure that you to date this still has not been done.

I called WestJet Vacations to discuss with a manager my experience so that other people do not end up having the experience that we received, as well as looking for compensation for lack of proper information being provided a well as our terrible experience. The manager proceeded to tell me that this was not WestJet Vacations fault and that the resort had a responsibility to inform WestJet of any changes being made. I told the manager that these renovations were completed in October/November, we are into March now and I am finding it extremely hard to believe that I am the first person to complain since then about the problems we have experience, as I met at least 10 other people at this resort who were as upset as my boyfriend and I were. I also told the manager that this WestJet Representative assisted another couple I met in rectifying some of their concerns. As soon as they started talking to her about what was advertised vs. what was received, she knew exactly what they were talking about – this couple told me that they saw her on the resort several times after this initial meeting. This WestJet employee is obviously well aware of the problems existing and still nothing is being done about this.

The manager stood his ground that this was plain and simply not WestJet’s fault and that all they were willing to offer is a $200/person credit, which I find insulting to say the least. My boyfriend and I are very young, we saved our money for several years to be able to afford this trip and are still making payments on this. We were very careful in our selection and using a reputable company like WestJet so that we would ensure we were going to be at a quality resort. We will not be able to afford another trip like this for a long time, and feel this was ruined by WestJet Vacations. I told the manager that I was not satisfied with this credit, and he told me that this was all he could do, after arguing further he finally agreed to talk to higher management and get back to me. He called me back several minutes later and said that they had agreed to escalate my issues and took down notes regarding my complaints. The way it was explained to me was that they would confirm that what I was saying was true with the resort and get back to me.

He called me yesterday (5 days later) to tell me that they discussed with the resort, however Krystal Vallarta is not willing to offer any further compensation to us. I was disgusted with this comment, as I was not looking for compensation from the resort, as I did not book through them, I booked through WestJet Vacations to prevent these kinds of issues from taking place. I agree that the resort was not what I paid for, however, the resort did not mislead me, WestJet misled me. I explained this to him, and he continued to tell me that $200 was all they could do. I said that I wanted to speak with his supervisor in this case, after persisting he agreed to forward my information to this individual who is supposed to call me.

This is where I have left off, and I am a very disgruntled and unsatisfied WestJet customer. My boyfriend and I, at this point, would never recommend the services of WestJet to anyone, and would certainly never book through them again. In my opinion our holiday was ruined, and I feel that it is the responsibility of WestJet Vacations to rectify this situation, which means a new vacation. $200/person credit is in insult considering what we have been through, and the fact that I have to fight this hard is even more insulting, and says to me just how much WestJet values their clientele.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Cait H
Reviewed 11 March 2012

The view was beautiful from our room. It was always really clean.
The food wasn't the greatest, unless we ordered room service. That was always good.
Staff was alright, but I've definitely stayed in places with nicer staff. They tended to be rude and ignored us. Some staff were pretty friendly tho. Depended on the time of day I think.
But over all I still had a good time. But I hve stayed in better places tho.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We purchased at Krystal Vallarta in Puerta Vallarta, and was told after specifically asking them that we would not have to pay ANY maintenance fees until we booked a room. That was a scam, after several billings and now we are in collection, we spent 800.00 deposit and have NEVER booked a room and owe almost 5000.00, even with letters and copies of our contract, we still have not resolved this. Even when our timeshare salesperson was "stoned and offered us marijuan at the time of the sale", we cannot seem to get them to take this off our credit nor can we get our money back. IT IS A SCAM....DO NOT GO THERE.....you will waste your money and will owe them thousands of dollars, and IT WILL appear as a collection on your credit....BE CAREFUL....

Room Tip: this was at least 5 years ago and is still messing with out credit....
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends