“BARELY 3 Stars...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Middletown, New York, United States
“BARELY 3 Stars...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

After reading many reviews on this, and many other resorts, before choosing Golden Crown Paradise for our stay this past March 7th through the 14th, I thought I would write my own to answer the many questions that I couldn't find answers to as well as include my opinion on things that were already covered on here. First let's begin with location. Location, in my opinion, was very convenient. Right next to the marina made viewing the large cruise ships coming and going very enjoyable. More important though, it is a quick 5 minute walk to any and all excursions that leave via boat. Zip lining, Rhythms of the Night, The Buccaneer Pirate cruise and all beach/island get-a-ways, all leave from this marina and being able to walk to and from saved on cab fare. Walmart, supermarkets and fast food also a quick 10 minute walk from resort. The Malecon (downtown)...less than a 10 minute cab ride ($5.00) from the resort, Romantica Zone (downtown) just a bit further and a $7.00 cab ride. I'll touch on safety, cost, etc. of downtown later. Check in was relatively seamless however guest services staff were neither friendly nor rude, just there, if you know what I mean. Alert...if you have paid for airport transfers to and from the airport, make sure you make your departing pick up arrangements ASAP. We did not and wrongly assumed that there would be someone waiting for us on our day of departure and not only was there not, but no one at the front desk would help us. To the contrary, we were told it was our responsibility to have made the arrangements then rudely brushed off. Next, creature comforts at the resort. Our room was ocean front and for the price difference as opposed to ocean view, we are glad we upgraded. Amazing sunsets and mountain views. Sleeping with the sliding doors open, you could here the surf crashing against the shore like it were right outside your door. Very relaxing for us. Bugs? what bugs? There were none! Our room was on the small side and definitely out dated but clean. Maid service was prompt and kept up our room on a daily basis. Our beds were firm and no soft and plush on any level. I prefer firm so I slept very well. Some might have a hard time, no pun intended. Pillows were half the size of a standard pillow so I just doubled up and I was fine. Sheets were soft and crisp. Air conditioner was old school and a bit noisy but we slept with the sliders open and no air most of the nights anyhow due to the cool nightly temps. Even being, I prefer white noise when I sleep anyhow. Again...just a preference. Shower water pressure was nice but stepping into and out of the shower was a major accident waiting to happen. Seniors or handicap will have great difficulty doing so. Toilet seat was broken off when we checked in but after calling maintenance, was fixed the next day. Pool and beach area..very nice and very easy on the eyes. Definitely in need of some painting and maintenance but only visible if really looking. Infinity pool in the adults only section where we stayed was heated, very large and comfortable and just steps away away from the beach. Plenty of cabanas on the beach but pool cabanas are limited and guests DO place there towels on the chaise lounges VERY early to stake claim. Most mornings I made it down by 7:30/8:00am and most, but not all, were already claimed. Ok...let's get to beach vendors. A nuisance in my opinion, no. Annoyance, yes..a bit. This is simply due to their shear numbers, not so much there aggressiveness. Politely say no and they continue walking. If your eyes are closed, they don't bother you. But again, their numbers are endless and this can be quite annoying to many. Waiter service by the pool and on the beach was spotty. Some days better than others. Staff was definitely limited.
Ok, lets move on to food and beverage. This was my third all-inclusive and definitely my last. Food at the buffets was neither great nor bad, just average. Food in the specialty restaurants was pretty much the same food as on the buffet but dressed up and presented on the plate like a gourmet dish. Flavor wise...far from it. Getting reservations in the specialty restaurants was, at times, a hassle but not impossible. Room service was always prompt but food again, mediocre at best. Alcoholic beverages were most certainly lacking on every level. Having bartended through college for many years, I know my liquor and all liquor ordered was so obviously watered down. Toward the middle of my vacation I began ordering "doubles" and I could still barely taste the liquor in my cocktails. All the juice mixers tasted the same, whether it was cranberry juice, OJ, or pineapple, none were fresh and all tasted like Tang. I must add that my partner and myself each tipped a buck per drink each and every time, and although very polite and gracious to the staff, it didn't seem to affect service or drink quality for the better. The difference in price from an all-inclusive to a non all-inclusive on average is about 500.00 bucks for a 7night/8day package. That is a 1000.00 dollars between two adults which could be spent on drinks and food at any restaurant, bar or eatery one "chooses." This to me, sounds much more alluring for my next vacation. Anyhow moving on...Club Nitro, the onsite nightclub at the resort. A complete joke. It is more for putting on shows, which we did not go to so I cannot comment on. As far as for dancing and hanging out, there is absolutely no atmosphere. There are a slew of nightclubs and martini lounges downtown to hang out at that are a must see. Dollars or Pesos? Don't even ask the staff at the resort because it is obvious they are not allowed to give you a truthful answer. We tried. We continued our investigation downtown and low and behold, the Canadian or American dollar is much more appreciated. Trust me, we asked everywhere and the consensus was the same. Safety and quality of downtown was par none! The Malecon and Romantica zone are must sees. When the sun goes down the city lights up. People everywhere from early 20's right up to 60's and 70's, all taking in the beautiful sights. The locals are extremely friendly, not pushy in any way. The Malecon is a long string of shops, restaurants, bars and nightclubs along the ocean, closed to auto traffic now. The romantica zone begins at the end of the Malecon just over a small bridge and was like being in an old European village. Hilly and winding Cobblestone streets lined with shops, cafes, restaurants, martini lounges and bars, block after block, all within the charm and architecture of their original construction. Background...the rising mountains. People everywhere and police in eyesight of every few blocks. Never did we feel uneasy or unsafe. Taxis are also everywhere and very easy to obtain, at any hour. Rates are all standard so you never have to worry about being "taken for a ride." Do, however, establish your rate before hand just in case though. For anyone traveling to Puerto Vallarta, if you miss downtown at night, you have done yourself and huge injustice! Excursions...we did Rhythms of the Night, Marieattas Eco tour, the Buccaneer Pirate Nightime cruise and The Outdoor Adventure Canopy Zip line. All were a blast and well worth it. Only one I would change would have been the Mariettas Eco tour. We heard by many, the Las Caletas tour was much better and more to do.
So there ya go, hoping my review might help in visiting the beautiful city of Puerto Vallarta! I will be back to visit..just won't be staying at Golden Crown Paradise :(

Room Tip: Ocean front well worth the price of the upgrade from ocean view. Sunsets worth the price alone.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank TravelLover13b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I recently travelled to this resort with a group, and for the most part the resort was lovely.
The location is hard to beat, 5 minute walk to Wal-Mart and the mall (McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, Chili's ...), there is a grocery store (Soriana) right on the main road, and downtown is a 60 peso cab ride or 6.50 peso bus ride. The marina is steps away from the hotel, where there is a small market and the port gate is right there as well.
The guys running the parasailing on the beach are very reliable, and the price is very reasonable.

The food however, left me slightly disappointed. Breakfast was served at the small Mexican restaurant, and had a reasonable selection of eggs, potatoes and other breakfast essentials, but due to the very small space it becomes very crowded very quickly. We went over to the buffet at the neighbouring resort, where there was a much larger buffet with a larger selection, and quicker service. I highly recommend the fresh made eggs and omelettes.
Lunch was another story. The Golden Crown offers only a la carte lunches, with the exception of the very small and limited snack bar near the pool (nachos, pizza, hot dogs, burgers). We again chose to go to the neighbouring resort, but found that the large buffet isn't open until 1pm for lunch, so we ate at their snack bar (nachos, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, salads, some fruit).
We ate very few dinners at the resort, as the a la carte system was a bit confusing; to eat at the Japanese, Italian or French restaurants at the other resort you needed a green card (which we never received), and we typically went into town to eat, as there are so many more options for authentic Mexican and/or American cuisine (highly recommend Bubba Gump's).
Room service was hit and miss, but the food was awesome.

The beach vendors were extremely annoying, however they did go away with a simple "No gracias". The one thing I really missed at this resort was a well staffed entertainment crew. There were a few people running activities throughout the day, but they were poorly advertised, and very few people participated. Also, the "night club" that the hotel offers was not well advertised, and was never occupied after the nightly show (which I found was too late for the kids at the other resort to enjoy ..9pm).

Overall we had a wonderful time, as we made the most of our trip, and went into town or for walks off the resort fairly frequently. I would definitely recommend this resort for an older crowd.

Room Tip: Higher floors have amazing views of the pool/ocean
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erex90
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed here this past week.

Location is okay, but not ideal: it's near the cruise ship terminal. But so what? The mall and Wal-Mart might be of more interest. It's a 20-min bouncy bus ride each way to town, and since the resort was boring, we took that most days.

By virtue of its "adults-only" format, we figured it might be quieter than it was: in practice, there were lots of drunk people most nights. That was awkward. And loud.

The meals were so weird. The "French" and "Japanese" restaurants were so strange. The "French" one featured a "greatest hits" French menu that matches no place I've ever actually been in France (coq au vin! escargot! fondue! potage Parmentier! chateaubriand!), with completely strange bread and desserts, bad wine (but constant refills!), and weird service and setting. The "Japanese" one was weirder: the sushi was weird, the salad bar weirder, and the foods ranged from "Vietnamese spring rolls" (a fried frozen egg roll with a single small shrimp on top) to "tempura calamari" (tasty, but texture so strange) to "sweet and sour chicken" which wasn't either of those. There's something weird about American Chinese food at a "Japanese" restaurant in a Mexican resort.

That said, the soups were consistently surprisingly good, and the breakfasts were excellent. (Get the huevos oaxaqueños). There was superb ceviche the first day we were there, for lunch, but it never reappeared. They had tacos that were good, and fresh salsa that was excellent. The Mexican dinners we had were also tasty.

Service strange. Obsessive, rude time share sales (really, who the hell would buy a time share in Mexico right now?). Sometimes the bartenders were speedy, other times, it felt weird to have to fight to get a drink. Hotel staff in general not trained in the art of "yes". Room cleaned at random, unexpected times.

Way, way too many vendors. It's not easy to spend an afternoon reading on the beach when you're constantly explaining that no, you don't want an X.

I wish I'd known that this resort was one of the all-inclusives where everyone wants tips. Particularly given that we were coming from Canada, it would've been nice to know just how useful a pile of US$1 bills would've been to have.

Room Tip: Don't overlook the bars.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank melted_snowball
Peterborough, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have stayed at this resort twice with girlfriends and thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms are average but very clean. I would suggest a room away from the main lobby as the bar outside the entrance can get quite loud at night. The food is excellent in all restaurants and you can use the buffet in the sister (family) resort next door. Make sure you try one of Pauly's Sexy Coffees. He is a real sweetheart and treats you like family. The pool is great and the beach very clean and has lots of palapas. Pool games going on throughout the day - you can take part or not. Make sure you take a local bus into town and walk along the Malicon (boardwalk). There are lots of shops, art galleries, restaurants, and it is very safe in town.

My husband and his golf group have been going here for 3 years and find the staff very friendly and the resort perfect for their needs. The golf course is in great shape and quite challenging. They can even leave their clubs at the course for the week. They thoroughly enjoy it here.

Lots to do in and around the area if you like to venture off the property.

Room Tip: For a quiet night I suggest a room farthest away from the main bar.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank SBlack
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed at the golden crown paradise from Jan 7-14 with my fiancee. We had a lovely time there! Some things we really liked were the location.. cannot be beat. Two minute walk to the marina (where most of the tours take off from) and a five minute cab ride downtown. The staff was very friendly and always helpful. Watch out for the time share lady when you check in though! She is a bit pushy.. but with a polite "no thanks" she goes away. The building is older.. but they keep it up well. There are people out all day cleaning, painting, gardening, etc. to keep it nice. The biggest bonus here is that every room has an ocean view.. amazing! You get to wake up to the sound of the ocean every morning. Also.. this is an all adult resort! The sister resort next door is family friendly. The mexican restaurant was the BEST. Never busy with no reservations required. Another bonus.. NO buffets! You could go to the sister resort for one.. but honestly why would you? Even breakfast is served off a menu (a large one). Refreshing for an all inclusive. You also need to check out the "sexy coffee". Impressive, and very tasty! I don't know how they don't burn themselves. A must try :)

Best thing to note.. the choice of beer was the best. We were served Tecate, tecate light, corona, corona light, and dos equis! Impressive! Bring your own insulated mugs.. their cups are very small (as per most resorts).

Some things we didn't like.. the cleaning staff. The maid started off awesome.. but we didn't tip one day and she stopped cleaning our room :( The beach was a little rough on the feet and the water rough too. Also, when laying out on the beach, there are a TON of beach vendors. Again.. with a polite "no thank you" they leave you in peace. Although we struck up conversations with some and they were pretty awesome sources of information about the area! The vendors were bad sometimes, but it didn't deter us from suntanning on the beach. It was still relaxing. Really, all this.. not deal breakers. Just points to note.

Some of the reviews of this resort almost scared us away. I'm glad they didn't though. I think the people that write those nasty reviews really expect utmost perfection. I would recommend this place to anyone especially if you get a good deal :)

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.. however try to choose one away from the bar in the main area. Can get quit...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Keltie J
Elgin, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I keep seeing review about amazing staff service... Id have to say it wasnt the best. Being a seasoned traveler to all of Mexico, this was the worst. It wasnt bad just not as upscale as I am used to. The rooms were clean but the sewer smell was pretty bad. we ended up covering the floor drain in the bathroom to help. I thought the food was really good. We never did a dinner at an à la carte but overall the small restaurant next to the pub bar was very good. Late night room service was excellent. Try the Chef's tacos and fajitas! The beach bar had some great afternoon seafood and the pre-dinner sushi is the best, a must try! The beach vendors were very aggressive, it didnt bother me too much but I can see how they would be annoying. Just say no politely and they leave you alone. If you do buy from them, expect the others to flock to you. The small vendors on the resort at night were really nice... Some of the best deals we found were at these table. Deal with them, they will treat you right! Cabs to town were $5US and you can always take the bus for much cheaper. The pool was very warm, which in this colder season was very nice. Take advantage of the warm pool at night.

Overall a good resort. I would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Melissa P
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Venders, service and food were terrible. Hotel is way over priced too! Stayed at a 3.5 star after my first week and was so much better. Def not a 4.5 star resort. Will not stay there again!