“Our experience of Sunset Plaza!”

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Calgary, Canada
“Our experience of Sunset Plaza!”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This hotel was amazing! I traveled with my boyfriend and my younger brother—all three of us were overwhelmed by the rooms, service and most of all the food/drinks. We stayed from Feb 17-23 with the all-inclusive package (through Book-it). Every part of our stay was memorable. I read previous reviews posted about this hotel and was shocked to see bad reviews (I guess some people can never be pleased). We had no problems with any of the staff. They were very helpful and did everything they could to make our stay comfortable.

More than once our Butler Juan went out of his way to accommodate our various requests. He advised us to take public transit (much cheaper and saved us a lot of money), gave us tips on what areas of the town we should visit, and even gave us insider information about fish cuisine for our fishing trip. We had tours planned everyday of our trip and Juan always made sure we were prepared (printed vouchers, etc). On our return, he made an effort to ask how our day/tour went.

Isaiah was another staff member that really stood out! He always made sure we had a drink in hand. He is probably the most hard working person at the hotel (we never saw him sit down for a break). To top it off, Isaiah has a great sense of humour! Louis and Carlos were the bartenders during our stay and they were also very hard working—they never stop and the drinks were great!

The rooms were well maintained and cleaned on a daily basis. Beds were turned down each night and, in my opinion, were really comfortable (I slept well every night).

We left the hotel during the day to explore the city and participate in different tours so we can’t comment on activities at the hotel. However, the information white board indicated a variety of different activities during the day that looked fun.

We would recommend this hotel to people that don’t get concerned about minor complications and just want to relax in a friendly atmosphere. Like any hotel, there are rules, such as what time check out is, so make sure you are clear about the rules and you will have an amazing trip. Cheers!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Samantha P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Polish first
Minnesota
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We decided to return since we had such a great time last year. We were not disappointed. Our friends arrived ed a couple of days ahead of us and asked for a king bed, if available. They upgraded them to a suite at no extra cost. Food was wonderful and the people were very helpful and nice. My only complaint is there still is no free coffee in the rooms.

• Stayed February 2012
Jackson, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I would recommend this hotel, the rooms are awesome with amazing views and the service is excellent. Here are some details you may be interested in:
When we first arrived at the airport, I was a bit taken back by the chaos. There were a number of folks standing there trying to get our attention to give us a ride to our hotel. Even those who appeared to work for the airport were trying to get us to let them provide a ride to our hotel and lied to us and said that they were who we had previously contacted. Apparently this is all related to the time shares they are trying to sell. Thankfully we had arranged for a car to take us in advance, they were waiting with a sign with our name on it. I would strongly recommend doing that and then have the hotel arrange for taxi service back to the airport.

The hotel sits back off the road a ways and there is a security station out front where they monitor who gets in to the resort, which I thought was very nice. We had a two-room suite with a king bed. It was very incredible, spacious and the view of the ocean and the resort is absolutely breathtaking. We left the patio doors open every night when we slept and could hear the ocean, it was lovely.

The mini-bar is not really a mini-bar so much as two beers, two cans of soda, and two juices (replenished daily). They also leave two bottles of water in the bathroom daily. We were told if you order a six-pack of beer from room service you will be charged full price for the beer, but if you order a burger and the six-pack, it is part of the all-inclusive. Although any room service has a 10% charge per order, which we didn’t think was a big deal. We did try room service one morning, it took well over an hour to get it and when we did the food was ice cold. It seemed like the staff was maybe short or something? So after that we just went down and ate. The food was excellent at the main restaurant, but not a lot of variety. We did try the Italian Restaurant one night and to be honest, I thought it was terrible.

We always tipped the waiters and bartenders and we received excellent, friendly service. Gustavo, Sergio, Joel and Johanna were extremely professional and saw to it that we were well taken care of. I was so impressed with their service that I took note of their names. I will note that they mention some “butler” who takes care of your every need - which really isn’t the case, but not something we cared about at all. Also we kept getting calls from the front desk to come down and “discuss the hotel” we were told this was a time-share thing and so we never went and nothing was said about it.

We found the best way to get the hot-tubs turned on was to tip one of the wait staff and ask them; otherwise it just didn’t happen despite requests. One thing that really irritated us was when other guests would go down early in the morning and put magazines and suntan lotions in the cabanas and chairs that we felt were in some of the best spots and then just leave it like that for hours on end during busy times without ever showing up to use them. When we were checking out, I mentioned it to the staff and they said if you just let them know, they will take care of it since they do not allow guests to do that. I wished we would have known that before.
I’ve seen a few complaints about the Beach Vendors, but we found that if you just tell them you’re not interested, they will leave you alone and they are certainly nonthreatening. You may want to have at look at what they offer, as I did get some really cool jewelry and a dress from them :) Also, we actually left the resort and walked down to the Boardwalk, we felt safe the entire time. We would definitely recommend staying at Sunset Plaza and would love to go back some day.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room there.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Darla428
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We traveled as a couple for 5 nights at Sunset Plaza Beach Resort. Always looking for the ocean view, this resort was a stunner. Every room has a full view, with the exception of the 2nd floor which does have some palm trees obstructing the view. This Rooms are pretty standard size, I did hear the suites were worth the money. Beds have a pillow top so no need to worry about hard beds, It is only a short cab ride ($18, regulated by the government) from the airport~return trip was $12. Check in is at individual desks. Do avoid the center desk which is staffed by the dreaded timeshare people, who want you to believe they are they to inform you about resort ammenities & tours.

They have 2 restaurants, one is Italian that requires reservations, the other is ala carte.
The ala carte restaurant has 3 days of menus, which are all prepared to order so no cold buffet food here. The quality of the food was surprising good and I was rarely disappointed. If you are there longer than a week I think you might get bored. They have 2 white wine choices, 2 red wine choices, a good selection of hard liquor, beer, and more. The drinks weren't watered down. There is also a deli which will make you sandwhiches and has desserts available.

We appreciated the adults only pool and the 3 rooftop hot tubs, which do have beverage service. Occassionally they did run out of towels. Too many people "reserve" chaise lounges early in the morning which I dislike.They have the wood day beds throughout the resort and on the beach. Personally I am not a fan. They do cover the mattresses with fresh sheets but I would still put down towels. Pools were very comfortable temperatures. Puerto Vallarta has a rocky shore line so you can't walk far without having to climb over rocks. It also has a strong current and the red flag was always up. The beaches are public, so you will find vendors there but I didn't find them intrusive & respected your "no". There are sea kayaks to use. There are a few activities per day. Massage was only $60 and I heard good reviews from fellow guests.

Staff was very attentive, polite, helpful, & eager to please. Guests were friendly. They have dvd players in the room and have some dvds to borrow at the desk. Balconies were large with a full size table & chairs-clear glass for the balcony wall keeps the view intact.

Be sure to visit the "Malecon" for a leisurely ocean boardwalk stroll, complete with musicians,
entertainers, restaurants, bars, shops, statue collection, & elaborate sand sculptures. Walk further down and you will reach the "romantique" zone which is full of restaurants on the edge of the ocean and perfect sunset. I suggest a taxi to there, about 50 or 60 pesos. We took a jeep safari tour in to the Sierra Madres moutains to enjoy local villages, stunning views, a tequilla tour, and learn the history and culture of the area. We rented a catamarn with a captain and he taught us to sail, about $50 for 1 1/2hr.

Puerto Vallarta is unique that the locals and tourists are together, giving you a unique Mexican culture experience.

Room Tip: Request a higher room, although that is not a guarantee. All rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelgal058
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The hotel far exceeded our expectations. Every room has an ocean view which is great! Spend the money on getting the suite! It's absolutely worth every penny! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is a small more boutique hotel so there' s no rushing to the pool in the morning to reserve your seat by the pool. There were a few negatives to be aware of but they aren't deal breakers. The first was the resort on the right on Sunset Plaza. On Saturdays they have a DJ that spins music until 10pm. Since the resort is much higher the sound echos and its really loud. The other negative for us was that the restaurant ran out of tea and bacon for breakfast and didn't have any for the rest of the 4 days we were there. Again, not a deal breaker but just a couple of things to be aware of. Have fun!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank John9511
Savage, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Hotel- The hotel and hotel grounds are wonderful. The rooms are clean and spacious, the balconies are large and the view from our room was outstanding. The hot tubs were cold the first two days but awesome after that. The pools were nice and the grounds were very well maintained.
Service- The staff is outstanding. The wait staff at the restaurants could not be better. If you want something that is not on the menu, all you have to do is ask and they will make it. All the wait staff was exceptional, especially Isiah, he went out of his way to make our meals exceptional.
Food- The food was wonderful. Everything we ate was good.
Butlers- They were very helpful, a little too helpful at times, but they wanted to make sure we were well cared for.
Spa- The spa was average. My wife and I had massages and on a scale from 1 to 10 I would give them a 6. They were very nice and the spa is nice but the massage was average.
Suprises- No suprises...That's what I liked the most. When you check in the Butler will take you to your room and explain the all inclusive. Basically if you order room service you have to pay 10%, and the bar in your room is very limited. They will stock a couple cans, a couple cans of beer, and two bags of chips. Each day it is stocked to that level, if you want more you either have to pay for it or bring it to your room from the bar.
Return Factor- When we return to Puerto Vallarta we will most likely stay at the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank squeech82
Madison, WI
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I read ALOT about this resort online before we left, and most of it was quite accurate. We traveled with a group of 5 couples, so I suspect that influenced some of our experience. For example, we had a pretty quick check-in, although we had to wait in our rooms for a few minutes for our butler to come up and show us around our room (since he was handling 3 of the couples at the same time).

The butler service was nice, but inconsistent. They were extremely friendly & interested in doing anything for you, but didn't always execute (for example, our mini-fridge wasn't restocked for 2 full days, even after we asked a few times). Most of the other couples we were with didn't have this problem, though, and some of them seemed to get "extras" from their housekeeper & butler, which was nice as well. The pillow & "scent" menus were a neat touch.

The rooms were nice; we were in a regular room, which was the size of a normal hotel room. It was very clean, and they serviced it twice a day. It suited us just fine, because we didn't spend too much time in our room anyway. Our friends had a suite, which was twice the size as our room & absolutely beautiful. If I were traveling with kids, this would definitely be the way to go! We never had any issue with noises, and we were on the fourth floor.

The pools were great! There are three different hot tubs that are at three different temperatures, which was especially nice! We got to the pool area by 10-11:00 every morning, and never had a problem finding 10 chairs together for our party. There weren't a huge amount of chairs available, though, so I could see this being an issue from time to time. Alfredo was an amazing server & spoiled us rotten by the pool every day. He brought us all kinds of fun, new drinks to try, food, water bottles, etc. It was wonderful being able to order food by the pool, and the swim-up bar was nice as well for when you needed a cool-down from the sun!

The beach was relatively small, but nice. It was a little rocky going into the water, but I'm sure it is similar to all of the beaches in Puerto Vallarta. I would definitely bring water shoes if I was going again. The area was clean, though, and in fact, someone was in the ocean our first morning cleaning off all of the floats that hold the rope around the swim area. There are constant vendors on the beach, and they will come up to you if you are on the side of the pool area closest to the beach, however, the hotel staff seems to watch out for the guests to keep the vendors from being overly invasive/pushy. We saw dolphins every day!

The hotel food was really good, and the chocolate "lava cake" that they have for dessert in the main restaurant is heavenly (think brownies fresh out of the oven!). Out of our entire trip & all of the couples, there were really only a few dishes that we didn't like. Even my very picky husband always found something he liked. The service was a little hit or miss, and seemed to be more of a "miss" when we ate in larger groups. There were alot of people working in the restaurants, but there just didn't seem to be alot of organization. You would always get what you wanted, just not always on the first try.

As many reviews stated, the location of the hotel is great! I felt very safe the entire time, even when we walked to the market. It's nice that the complex is very small, because it took almost no time to get to your room if you needed something, but there aren't a ton of activities. They had yoga in the morning, kayaking, & beach volleyball, but they weren't pushy about it at all (in fact, we didn't even know it was happening for a couple of days).

If you are expecting a lively party scene, this really isn't the right place for you, but if you want a casual, relaxing environment where you can lay back & have a nice drink by the pool/beach, this place is perfect! I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: The suite rooms are amazing, and well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends