“Spacious room, great pool and facilities!”

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Just returned and we loved the place! Our room was spacious and clean. We had a suite on the 11th floor the view was fantastic and sitting on the porch SO enjoyable. The daily housekeeping was very good. Both items that I had read in reviews were true - no coffee and no paper towels but Ok that was about all it lacked. We loved the pool and the swim up bar. The beach was small and the vendors pesky so we stuck to the pool - it was awesome! But my tip - while waiting for your room on the 1st day ...use the free sunscreen, near the towels - we burned bad on day 1!!! We had any and all food ...room service, Mirador, Luciano, Deli, snacks at the pool ... all were good and I liked the ala carte over the buffet for sure!! Menus were not extensive - we ate at the Italian restaurant twice. The food was simple but good and service was great. Drinks around the pool were also good. I wish there would have been some advice in terms of tipping - we just were not sure when and how much was appropriate. Its funny how annoying it is at the end of a cruise to do the mandatory tips but that may have been helpful to assure everyone that served go their fair share?? We did not use our butler, and found the pressure to do the time share a little much but we did not do it -sorry. The location is awesome - easy to get a taxi or bus and a safe area to walk around too, There is a mall nearby we even saw a movie! Hunger Games with spanish subtitles! The rooms, the pool, the location and the value - all good! I would tell anyone I know to stay here!!

Room Tip: Everyone says get a suite and upper floor... we had a suite on the 11th and it was awesome!
1  Thank wi_bay_girl

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed at Sunset Plaza in February and it was not crowded at all. We were on the 9th floor, had first class accommodations and a killer view. Wow! The staff was incredible also. Anything we needed was taken care of and taken care of with a great attitude. The only minor complaint we had was in the limited selection for dining options at the resort. Once they get the other wings built and have more people staying there I'm sure that will take care of itself. It actually was not a big issue for us as we ate in town often. We do not partake of the all-inclusive plans at resorts if we can help it. Our greatest enjoyment is going out and experiencing the local cuisine and culture. That is another reason we like this resort, because it is close enough to town to just jump on the very inexpensive city buses and you are downtown in 5 minutes. Cabs are also only about $5 to most major destinations from this location. We will definitely return to Sunset Plaza.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DBtravel425
Reviewed 30 March 2012

the hotel was very nice and clean and the people are very friendly that work there,if you need anything just ask.the food was good except for their hamburger not soo good.the french toast and the bread basket is a must.yum yum!!!! we had the all inclusive which made the trip much easier.their drinks are yummy the miami vice was great.my grandkids spent a lot of time up at the swimming bar!!they are only 11 and 8 and enjoyed their non booze drinks every day.

Room Tip: we were on the 3rd floor and it was just fine once in a while a little noisy but not that bad!!!
2  Thank mjfica
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel and property certainly lived up to expectations and more. The rooms and view were awesome, the service great and the people friendly. We would return to both Puerto Vallarta and this resort. I really liked the fact that it was a la carte as opposed to buffet and even though the Italian restaurant wasn't great (c'mon it's Mexico folks, not Italy), it wasn't as bad as some made out either. None of us felt that the menu was limited or repetitive at the resort because they are always willing to make something off the menu if you ask, we found all the staff very friendy and accommodating. While we did the all inclusive plan we also went out for a couple of meals as well because we'd heard such great things about the restaurants in Puerto Vallarta (which proved to be true as well!). I honestly can't say a bad thing about our stay at the Sunset Plaza. We spent most of our time at the adult pool simply because we loved the beds, both pools were nice though. Loved, loved, loved it!

Room Tip: We had a room bedroom suite on the 4th floor. The best views are higher up but all the rooms are we...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LynnandSteve13
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We were staying at the Sunset Plaza with a large group and everyone had an excellent time. The rooms and amenities were great, but what really made this hotel stand out was the staff. Everyone was so friendly and helpful during our entire stay. Also, we were lucky enough to have a suite on a higher floor and it was gorgeous, I would recommend asking for a high floor, and the suite was huge, plenty of room for the four of us (2 adults, 2 teenage children) to spread out.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank chloto
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My 2 sisters and I visited Puerto Vallarta from March 3rd to March 10, 2912. We stayed the full week at this resort. It was one of the nicest accommodations I have stayed at, and I have stayed at numerous resorts and hotels. The other reviews I read before we went were pretty muchly bang on. The staff were very friendly but on the slow side. A few disappointments were 1) the coffee maker in the room operated on coffee discs and the first one was free and after that they were $4 each. 2) the staff were stingy on the Baileys. The girls and I like our coffee with Baileys in the morning and they would only give us 1 shot at a time. 3) Some of the food was unrecognizable...but all we had to do is ask and they told us what it was. A few of the pluses were 1) There were a lot of very good dishes at the restaurant 2) We went all-inclusive and we were glad we did 3) Ocean view in the front and city/mountain view at the back. Totally took my breath away. Great planning in building this resort 4) The pools, the sunbeds, free DVDs.
We went on excursions of whale watching, San Sabastian and Rhythms of the night...Every one was absolutely wonderful. On the way back from Los Colitas a local man gave us blankets on the boat to stay warm. Everyone was so willing to make us comfortable.
On the last day, check out was 12 noon and after that you paid for your food and drink. However the pool attendant gave us bottled water for free. I would definitely return to this resort. The location to everything is great. Only $5 taxi to the Marina, where most of the excursions start. Canadian, US and Pesos were accepted or could be exchanged at the hotel. One thing that we did not know was that the Marina is $2 per person for a entry pass....Not a big deal, but nice to know. The highlight of the trip were the humpback whales, which at one time had our boat surrounded and they were magnificent. Go, and have fun. It is a different world there. Enjoy! OH! and walk the Malecon, great atmosphere.

Room Tip: If you go all-inclusive, there is no real reason to pay extra for the suite.. Our 2 bed-room was ple...
2  Thank 50&lvgit
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Better than I expected,as the title goes.After reading and reading and being addicted to tripadvisor monthes before our trip I became way too anxious because I did all the bookings.This is how I would describe Sunset Plaza during a weeks stay.Just great and was put at ease as soon as I checked in.Being an All Inclusive virgin I really didn't now what to expect,but the food came promptly and hot.Drinks came cold and were just what the doctor ordered.Waiters were never scarce,always attentive.We never knew when the Italian restaurant was going to be open or when it was "Mexcian"night when they put tables out on the grass and ate under the stars.I found it more spontanious anyway.Yes it does seem to be easy for them to subsitute/add to any dish on any of the menus.Which just wasn't an issue after a while.The room was the best soooo much room when you have four people.We had the suite which came w/a king size bed big enough for my wife,me and my 11 yr old daughter.My 15 yr old son had the pull out couch.The maid came every night at 8pm and had it made up for him .So in all I would highly reccomend Sunset Plaza.

Room Tip: book the suite for more room,so worth it
3  Thank scouse_12