“Great for families looking to relax”

Club Regina Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #43 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Great for families looking to relax”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My parents have a timeshare and we stayed there for a week for the second time in two years. Since 2009 they renovated all the kitchens in the rooms that have them, which was definitely needed. No problems with the rooms or service, I guess we just got lucky, but we were there during high season (between Xmas and New Years). Kids absolutely loved the pool and so did we, since we could spend all day in the 5 ft pool or the kiddie one and some time on the beach. Had lunch there, cooked our own breakfast and went out for dinner.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Biggest plus here is the location. You can walk to the marina for dinner every night. No need for a taxi or car at all. Though, we do bus in to the Walmart for groceries! There are decent convenience marts across the street as well. Everything here is satisfactory. Only downside for us is that the rooms could use updating. Kitchens in many units have been redone but bathrooms and other furnishings are dated. Rooms are clean and service is what you expect in Mexico. We return here almost every year. We have tried several different cities and resorts and this is our favorite...again, mostly because of location.

Room Tip: We like first floor rooms with the patio.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank travelsalotfamily
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The overall experience was barely adequate to say the least. Though the rooms were nice, that was just one contributing factor to the trip as a whole.

The service was terrible. At the restaurant it took a hour at the least to get your food. I've worked in a restaurant before, so I understand the constraints a person has when it comes to number of assigned tables. However, having it take over 1+ hour for a simple order when there are plenty of staff available is nothing short of insulting. Then when my order was screwed up several which ways it took another hour to have it returned to me, cold. (Though it was obviously my previous order 'reheated and resituated'.) The waitress was incredibly rude, with what little English she did speak.

The rooms were average. It was hard to sleep at night with neighbors raging to their party music every night. The cleaning crew, while nice, never seemed to grasp the needed number of towels for the room leaving us ill-equipped. In addition to these other factors, whenever the shower was used the bathroom would emit strange odors that would last long after the steam had dissipated.

In general, this hotel was less than satisfactory.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank CandiedApp1e
Northern California
Reviewed 25 December 2011

My sister's family of four and my family of four stayed here the week before Christmas. What an overall disappointment! Upon check in we were told that the two double suites we had reserved about a year prior would not be adjacent. After resisting this arrangement, they were able to "find" two rooms that were garden views, not ocean views as promised.

Do not be deceived by the pictures of the property because they are not representative of the poor quality of the room accommodations.

As other reviews have stated, the bathrooms were in a poor state of disrepair and in need of a remodel. It was obvious the kitchens had been remodeled and were nice which made the bathrooms seem all that much worse.

The problems I am listing are for four bedrooms and two living areas. The mirrors were scratched and smeared; the shower doors were water spotted and so heavy it was difficult to open/close them; the tile grout was molded and caulked over, the non slip tub mat was moldy, the walls were poorly patched and very rough, the toilet was difficult to flush and dirty, and the floor was quite dirty especially around the toilet. The one redeeming quality of the bathroom was the water pressure in the shower and the hot water-very nice! We found broken end tables in the living room, ripped curtains, a broken coffee pot carafe, the sofas were worn and smelly, one TV didn't work, and the remote control didn't work and had corroded batteries. The slide lock on the door was broken, the bedroom door wouldn't close because the part where the door latches was hanging by one screw. There were issues with at least two of four hot tubs which are very small with room only for two very small people.

A couple of times maintenance was sent to perform work that we had no knowledge of including a man that wanted to fumigate the room. Three of the eight people in our family broke out in a rash, but it doesn't seem like we had a bed bug problem that others have written about. The internet service was only available in the lobby, not in the rooms as promised.

The property had many trees and was beautiful in some areas. The pools were very old and in need of maintenance. The hot tub never did work the entire week we were there. The drink service by the pool was terrible and every time we wanted a drink we had to go search for someone or go to the bar ourselves.

The most impressive aspect of our stay was the bell boy staff who were attentive and polite every time we needed a cab. The concierge did give us good recommendation for a restaurant called Cuale Paradise. Although Cuale Paradise is way off the beaten path, the food, service, and setting were fantastic!

If you are in search of a luxurious, hassle free vacation this is not the place for you!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank MHowell_11
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 December 2011

My husband and I are members of Raintree, which is why we chose Club Regina. The timeshare side is absolutely beautiful, no doubt. It is filled with a lot of local artwork. We were given a corner 1 bedroom on the 8th floor. The kitchen was upgraded. The living room and both bathrooms were dated, although I know that upgrades are coming. We had a huge balcony with view of ocean and a step up Jacuzzi.....a little slice of heaven. My issue was with the customer service desk and pool area. The locals are allowed full use of the pool and bar, which made us, as paying members, struggle to find pool loungers. The pool deejay would only speak in Spanish, despite being asked to speak English. When I told the front desk, they did not care. I told the front desk that I enjoyed the room as was told that I would never get a room like that again......that they were only allowing certain Raintree members to have it. We have a friend who lives there as a local and the security would not allow him in unless he paid like the rest of locals, despite being our guest and in our car. Again, front desk did not care. I saw a baby in the pool with her diaper on. Beware of servers on beach. I asked for a vodka with pineapple juice and was charged $50USD! The timeshare would not budge on that since I signed the receipt on the beach. I did not have my reading glasses on. My fault but I would expect them to look at my previous charges and see the ridiculous bill. Again, they refused. There is a computer room with printer. Nice computers. However, I had to finally ask one of the local kids to get off Facebook after 30minutes, despite the limit of 15minutes. Another kid was in there watching YouTube. I had a great massagethere and there are some wonderful staff....the ones who do the actual work. But beware of those sitting behind the desk. All in all, I will not go back to Club Regina.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view on a top floor and upgraded kitchen.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank cat98037
Chicago
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed here for 2-weeks this spring and we can't say enough about this pink palace. We were within walking distance to the marina. Took the buses and cabs into town and ate at various resturants. We had a problem with some loud music coming from the next room one night. We called the front desk and complained. 15-minutes latter security was knocking on their door. End of problem. Loved it. Would return.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nameloctp
Edina
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Service was great. Rooms had a beautiful view. Beach was very nice but not long. If you are looking for miles of beach this isn't it. That being said I would definately go back.

• Stayed March 2011