“DREAM VACATION COME TRUE”

Viceroy Zihuatanejo
Ranked #6 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
las vegas
“DREAM VACATION COME TRUE”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I have been traveling to Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo for the past 9 years and this hotel has been the dream of a lifetime from the time you enter the property, check in, go to your room (which is a dream room), to dinner on the beach and the pampering you get at all times. Can't wait to return which will be in a couple of months... Great job from the people who make all this possible.

Room Tip: the garden rooms are spacious and secluded
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear sal c.

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

Thank you for providing your comments regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

I am very glad to learn that you enjoy the hotel, was a pleasure to have had you with us. Do not stop visit us please.

Again, thank you and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Sincerely

Carlos Blanco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
New York City
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My girlfriend and I are just returning from the Viceroy Zihuatanejo 4-19/24th. Overall we liked the hotel very much. While we enjoyed the hotel be aware that this is NOT Las Ventanas or Pamilla One and Only. It is more beachy and casual in every way including: dress, services, amenities, etc..

The staff was incredibly responsive and friendly (especially as the days went by and they got to know us). They remembered specific likes and dislikes and would always accommodate all requests with a smile.

We stayed in a Beach Suite on the 3rd floor that had an incredible view along with a small plunge pool. The rooms were generally quite comfortable. Though we rarely used them, the room did provide all the modern day creature comforts we are used to: plasma tv, iHome, WiFi, etc.. The rooms, however, were a bit dated from a furnishing perspective and as another reviewed noted the bathroom (while big) was lacking some basic ventilation and general appeal - small nuance really but still worth noting. In addition we had a number of mosquitos in our room which we had to work to cure in order to sleep peacefully. Again not a big deal but a bit of a nuisance.

The dining on property was very good and not that expensive considering it is a resort. We did the meal plan and I think it afforded a bit of savings but it really is hard to tell. They were quite flexible with the use of the meal plan which was very nice. The wait staff is attentive and gracious, the food is fresh and creative, and the fact you are sitting directly on the beach for meals with waves 10 yards from your feet is something I had never experienced before as an every day offering. Try a night of dining at La Casa Que Canta while there. It is a short walk on the beach and has a creative menu and incredible views of the cove. Again very reasonably priced.

We enjoyed taking daily tennis lessons with Rory. Only down side here is that the courts needed to be cleaned. Even a basic sweeping would have sufficed - just a little lack of attention to detail. We also had several massages which were very reasonable - apprx $75 hr.. Isabell was absolutely incredible, be sure to ask for her.

Bottom line we really enjoyed our stay. The beach is amazing and the atmosphere very relaxed. With a few tweaks and more of an eye on detail it could be excellent in my opinion but very good for now.

2 Thank JetSettersNYC
Dear JetStettersNYC

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a nice comment about your experience at our resort.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities and please rest assured that we will look into your recommendations as we wish to continue providing the service that we are recognized for.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you decide to return.

Los angeleis
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were here for 1week. Loved it! Defenetely looking forward to return. The service is amazing. They always say yes. They greated us upon our arrival. They take care of you. We reccomend it. Eriberto in the cabanas is really nice, he takes care of everything. Jose Luis in the front desk is very nice. Mario in the restaurant knew what we liked for breakfast and he was always smiling. This was a nice trip, the location is beautiful. The spa and the gym are not that great. They don't have 24 hour room service and that is why I didn't rate it as excellent. The rest is perfect.

Room Tip: Beach suite 8 iis fantastic. This was one of the most beautiful rooms I've ever stayed at.
Dear Sara P

Warmest greetings from VICEROY ZIHUATANEJO !!

I’m glad to know that your vacations have been enjoyable we will ensure that each time you return to our piece of paradise will be even better.

Thanks for your preference and we forward to see you soon.

Indianapolis
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at Viceroy 4-5/4-11. It was a great week!!

Reception: you are given a quick tour of the property, and by the time you get to your room your bags are there. reception staff is excellent and have a great knowledge of the area.

Room: we had a lagoon suit #3. it was well appointed, great shower/bath, spacious and clean. the room had ZERO view of the lagoon, but we were rarely in the room. Every morning you get a coffee/tea service with pastries delivered to the room at your requested time {very nice touch}

Pool: There are 4 pools, 1 is an infinity pool overlooking the beach. they are small and hardly used since the beach is the focal point for everyone. The water is warm, its clean and has a great view of the ocean.

Beach: AMAZING!, small waves, no sea weed, about a mile long with several restaurants you can walk to to eat at during the day or night which are cheaper than Viceroy for drinks etc. Your palapa has a little flag u raise for a waiter to come and take your requests. they are fast, friendly and work their butts off. No need to run out early to get a good spot, all the spots are nice, and something is always open

Restaurants: The service is excellent. Breakfast and dinner id right on the beach, so it makes for spectacular sunsets. We ate at several other restaurants off property during our stay, and Viceroy had the best food all around. Be prepared to spend about 100$ US for dinner each night

Staff: Everyone is hard working, friendly and made the trip memorable..JUST GREAT!!

Tips: Stop at the Grocery on your first day and pick up snacks, alcohol etc to save $$ Food at Viceroy is great but very expensive..cab to store is 5$ and I bought $40 worth of snacks that would have cost 5x that at the resort. The area seems to be a huge vacation spot latinos, it can be a bit of a culture shock if you havent been emersed in the culture. Its very fun so enjoy it and dont be nervous to try the restaurants in the area {even if ur the only gringo on the beach}!!

Room Tip: If you get a lagoon suite ask for second level
1 Thank khevin
Dear khevin.

Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

I really appreciate the positive things you mention about our resort. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

On behalf of all the staff we appreciate your preference and we really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

Gracias !!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My family and I stayed here last year on our yearly trip to Zihua - unfortunately this year we waited to long to book before our trip and the room we wanted (2 bdr suite was booked up). Last week I was Trip Advisor and noticed that the Tides has new ownership. I hope that new ownership does not change any of the wonderful things that theTides, it had to offer. Food at all of the restaurants was fantastic - a little price but quality was worth it. All of the staff made us feel like royalty and were always on top of every service aspect at the resort - from the front desk, to the beach to the sweet ladies that cleaned our rooms. Pools were great - clean and there were comfortable lounger chairs both at the pool and the beach. Staff does a great job of upkeep of beach and pool area.
There are some great restaurants nearby as well - both on the beach in town as well as within a walking distance or a 5 min cab ride. All are affordable and offer a great value for wonderful fish and seafood.
We always felt safe here - obviously we paide attention to our surroundings when leaving the resort - and did not walk around by ourselves late at night. I really hope the new owners are able to keep a go of this place. It is definitely on my list for next time I come back to Mexico.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Dear Mr. K L.

Thank you for the comments you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit at Viceroy Zihuatanejo. It is only through your feedback that we can improve our services and amenities.

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come.

Best wishes from all of us here at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Recently visited The Viceroy Zihuatanejo and had a fantastic stay.

The service is excellent and the staff friendly and accommodating. The food was great (highly recommend the fish tacos while lounging on the beach) and offers enough variety so that everything doesn't taste the same after a few days.

The rooms are nice, but the beds could be better. Our only suggestion is that the mattresses could be better. We spent more time on the beach than in the room so YMMV.

It was a great trip and we'll definitely be back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
CBdelaM, General Manager at Viceroy Zihuatanejo, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear RolandofGilead

I like to thank you for this nice comment, will be a pleasure to welcome you back please let me know when are you planning to visit us to make sure you have a memorable stay.

On behalf of the staff we look forward to see you in not to distance future.

Gracias,

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was our 1st trip to Zihuatanejo and the Viceroy. We went the last week of March beginning of April 2012. We went for my sister’s wedding. It is a terrific place for a wedding, it is a smaller quaint resort, not commercialized, it’s your own corner of paradise, it’s not like they were cranking out wedding after wedding, we had the entire place all weekend.
We had a 2 bed, 2 bath Garden Suite (GS2) with outdoor sitting area, hammock and plunge pool. Our room seemed to be lacking a few things like clocks, hairdryers, DVD player. I understand with the new change in hotel from the Tides to Viceroy they are redoing rooms. All we had to do was ask for a hairdryer and we got one. Normally on a vacation like this we have no needs for clocks, but with wedding festivities all the time, we kind of needed one. Who needs a DVD Player when you have the beach, but thinking there was one in the room we planned for one on one occasion for my daughter. I did like this location it was near the back of the resort by the Spa away from all of the festivities so it was quiet back there. If we went again, I would love to get a beach suite or lagoon suite provided there are no parties planned. When we arrived Luis greeted us and took us to our rooms, ran thru all the hotel details with us. The room keys are brilliant; they are these round disks that are in necklace pouches, no need for pockets since you probably don’t have any being at the beach all day. Angelica, Events Coordinator, did a fantastic job helping us plan every detail. From setting up the slide show at the Coral Bar, our spa appointments, to all the wedding details, thank you!
Each morning pastries and your choice of coffee or tea is delivered to your room. If you prefer you can go down and have breakfast on the beach. If you have a food allergy like me (Celiacs) the resort will take care of you and your needs. I never felt that my dietary needs were in jeopardy, I ate very well.
One morning we took a cab and went shopping we went to Zihuatanejo Artisans' Market on Calle 5 de Mayo in downtown Zihuatanejo. One block from the waterfront and beginning across from the church, the market is made up of small stalls set in aisles that run for about three blocks. It was very clean and lovely. We got a few souvenirs and ice cream. I never felt unsafe, the church was beautiful, the doors were open and locals were inside praying. It was an wonderful sight to see.
Back at the Viceroy we rented a couple wave-runners and my 9yr old loved that, she is a thrill seeker and couldn’t wait to do it again (which we did later). Note, you will get saltwater in your eyes and it stings, so for kids have them wear goggles. Later we went parasailing; we went down the beach (to the left) a bit and did the parasailing service there, because after watching all the different ones, it seemed as if they had the best take-off and landings. I went with my daughter and my husband went alone. We had a terrific time. It is so peaceful up there, plus you can see all the majestic houses & hotels up there in the mountains, just spectacular!
We really got used to the lovely beach lounge chairs and swinging covered beds, then when you wanted lunch tables are set up on the beach and all you had to do was order. Staff is very accommodating; I give them so much credit for carrying all those trays of food and drinks through the sand. It has to be very difficult.
We the entire wedding party & guests (approx 35) went to dinner at Tentaciones. It’s about 5 min from the resort, up in the mountains. All I can say who can eat with a view like that. I felt like I was in Bali. Basically in a nutshell, The Viceroy is a wonderful Resort. I love that it is in its own corner of the world, it seems to be an untouched hidden gem. Very few Americans vacation there, seem that more Latin Americans & Europeans use this as their vacation spot. Since the resort is not so expansive like others, you get that private intimate feeling. What a way to end the weekend with a wedding and fireworks on the beach…Spectacular!
Traveled March 28-April 1 2012

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Seahorse_816
Jenne S
Warmest greetings from Viceroy Zihuatanejo !!
We appreciate very much for taking the time to write such a nice review regarding your recent stay at Viceroy Zihuatanejo.

We agree with you that our resort is a great location to just relax and enjoy because it’s peaceful atmosphere and once you venture out of doors, there is a town offering a good array of activities yet intimate and charming.

We wish you tell all your friends about our resort and really hope to welcome you back in a not too distant future.

Please receive our best wishes.

Carlos Blanco and Team