“Great location and atmosphere”
Review of Hotel la Rotonda

Hotel la Rotonda
Ranked #74 of 129 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed 16 October 2015

Located just a couple of blocks from the Cathedral de Guadalajara, the Hotel La Rotonda includes a full restaurant and convenience store. The staff is friendly and helpful. When I ordered a meal in the restaurant the staff offered to bring it to my room when I was done. My room was very large with a king size bed and jacuzzi in the bathroom. The edifice itself is an older building that retains some of the historical charm of old Guadalajara.And when I needed some extra time before my flight at GSL airport, the staff gave me a free late checkout at 4:30 pm, with luggage storage available thereafter. Overall I liked this hotel the best of all the places I have stayed over the years in Guadalajara. I will definitely return again next year.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel la Rotonda

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed here for a week, and very much enjoyed our stay. The charming colonial-style hotel is bright and clean, the staff were very helpful, and all the facilities all worked well. The WiFi was a bit spotty - the building is a massive masonry construction, and although there are several WiFi systems, it is necessary to search for the one that works where you are. It helps a lot if you can speak some Spanish - the other guests seemed to be almost all Mexicans (both businessmen, tourists, and family groups), which was fine by us. If we revisit Guadalajara, we will be back (this was my second stay here).

Room Tip: Rooms on the street (Liceo) have small balconies, but street traffic can be quite noisy
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The positive things about this hotel is that it is very charming and well decorated. We were looking for a place that was in the Spanish design and not just a typical Holiday Inn. We were not disappointed in this aspect. Location was great as convenient to various tours and markets. The breakfast was very good and wait staff was very good. Rooms were clean. However, we didn't receive any hand towels, no extra toilet paper, and the internet connection was non-existent unless you were in the lobby. Bring your Spanish book as the staff speaks very limited English.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnnRonco
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Hotel La Rotonda, Guadalajara, Mexico

We stayed at the hotel La Rotonda in Guadalajara during the first week of April. We were looking for proximity to the Centro Historico and found the hotel's location just a half block north of the Rotunda, on the same street as the Basilica and the Regional Museum to be ideal for touring the city.
The La Rotonda Hotel is a beautiful building on the outside and on the inside with much stonework. The rooms are large with high ceilings and reasonably modern and adequate. Large bathrooms, hot water, cable TV, WiFi in the rooms, telephone and an in-hotel restaurant make the hotel complete.
We paid 650 Pesos which is a reasonable rate for the location. The hotel is quiet although it is in the heart of the city.
Outside near the rotunda to the famous people of Jalisco State, double-deck buses start their tours of the city.
To be picky we would mention that the shower head in our room was antiquated and needs an upgrade, and that the room had no AC, just a ceiling fan. None of the rooms offer AC. This was satisfactory in April but might not be in July, although Guadalajara offers an ideal climate. Value, ambiance, and location make Hotel La Rotonda a worthy stop in the city of Guadalajara.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel four nights for a conference. The location is great, right in the historic downtown. The hotel is colonial style and very clean. I was most impressed with how accommodating the staff was, like tracking down a converter the first night when I realized my three-prong charger wouldn't fit in the two-prong outlet. There's a restaurante and café as well. The only downside was no A/C, so the room got a bit stuffy (though there was a large window with a screen)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Rebecca W
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I came to Guadalajara for a job teaching English and needed to be effective from day 1. I found La Rotonda charming - the reception staff were bright and efficient. And the younger ones are bilingual - even better, they let me practise my bad Spanish on them and then we switched to English if I got stuck. This charmed me.

The place is clean, and it has high ceilings and stone walls and pillars arranged around courtyards. Rooms have double wooden doors opening into them, and balconies. I was put first of allinto a room at the back, which felt quiet and rustic. It made a change from the zooming, rattling car noise of my previous hotel. the only problem was the wireless internet couldn't get there. So I asked to change rooms and the reception staff were very quick and efficient in organising this. I got a bigger room that's on the street front so not quiet like the other one but practical because I needed to work on the laptop.

things went wrong of course - the toilet broke twice, the light bulb blew. For me this was a great opportunity to try out my bad Spanish on the reception staff - and the handyman sorted this stuff quickly. I was trying to find a sauna - I do this for my health - and one of the receptionists rang up a couple of gyms in Spanish for me. No sauna, sadly, but this was so helpful because my language isn't up to phone calls.

There's daily breakfast, for which you can get cheap vouchers - and it's big... all those meat dishes they go in for, tacos / tortillas freshly made, fruit, cake, lashings of hot coffee. There's a coffee shop next door they own too, which I went in a few times.

Also I wasn't well when I arrived in Mexico - stomach problems - which made eating difficult. I was picknicking on dry crackers and avocadoes, because I couldn't stomach protein foods and dairy. I asked the waitress if I could just have a plain vegetable soup and she sorted it for me, even though it was late. The staff were very sweet and welcoming and this meant a lot to me.

Room Tip: For internet access you want a room near the wireless access point - so the balcony rooms at the fro...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kath b
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We tried to stay here. After several emails to hotelselectos.com requesting a reservation were not answered, I tried calling the hotel directly. Got as far as "Habla ingles?", which the desk clerk answered no to and then she hung up on me! I then had a friend who is a native spanish speaker call. She made a reservation and asked them to email me to confirm it. They did not. I then sent a letter via registered mail with my credit card info to confirm the reservation I hoped I had. No response. At that point I made a reservation elsewhere. When I got to Guadalajara, I went to Hotel La Rotonda and they had my letter right there at the desk! Too late, but I will say the place was in a good location, and the lobby was clean.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple