See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 25, 2017 via mobile

I had a good time at Hotel San Francisco Plaza. Is a nice building. I may return soon. Is near to everything in the middle of this big city, if you want to see how Guadalajara look like a hundred years ago this is the right place.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karim S
Reviewed January 9, 2017

Stay away....hotel under renovations, seedy part of town, beds hard as a rock, nothing redeeming g about this place. You get what you pay for....lots of other nicer hotels nearby.....never again.......save yourself the experience

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank kerfontc
Reviewed January 2, 2017

The photos online make this look incredibly pretty. It isn’t. The outside is covered in graffiti and the iron bars on the windows definitely serve a practical function in this part of town. The interior courtyards are dusty, cluttered, and strewn with broken furniture. We probably caught them in the middle of renovations, I assume, because everything smelled like paint, beds and furniture lined every hallway, and it looked like the staff outnumbered guests about 2 or 3 to one. The first room had a broken AC unit, the second had no hot water, and neither had doors on the showers that would prevent the whole bathroom from flooding during a shower. The bed was a horrible mixture of rock-hard and thin enough to be stabbed by the springs. The staff was indifferent and brusque, with a very minimal command of English. Finding the hotel was difficult, and the neighborhood is incredibly ghetto-looking. You can walk to good restaurants and a beautiful city center, but if you can afford it, I would recommend staying in a better part of the city and taking a taxi if you really want to see this part of town. All of that said, it looks like the hotel has good bones and I think a few months of renovations and good management would turn around a lot of these complaints.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Davids_great_reviews
Reviewed December 30, 2016

I stayed at this hotel as part of a 12 day road trip throughout Mexico. It was my least favorite hotel of the 7 we stayed at. Let me explain: from the beginning, it was a bit difficult to find the hotel and driving in was inconvenient. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that we had to park in a different place a street away--the parking situation was confusing and not very well explained (apparently they share a secured parking garage with another hotel, but this was not explained with the hotel booking). The staff was cold and not very helpful. This may be because I only speak a little Spanish, but I did not have any difficulty in other parts of Guadalajara.

The hotel itself was its greatest flaw: it's currently undergoing renovations. Now don't get me wrong, I support all improvements, however, I didn't travel to Guadalajara to live in dusty, dirty, and freshly painted hotel (the scent was over powering throughout the hotel). The hotel was definitely once beautiful, but has since fallen out of its prime. It felt like we were walking through a deserted mansion, with old mattresses, equipment, and furniture lining the hallways. We did not see any other guests and I think that we may have been the only ones in the hotel for the night.

The first room that we were taken to was very big, but completely covered in dust and the scent of fresh paint was miserable. It must have been painted within a few days of our arrival. The air conditioning did not work, so they moved us to a different room (again, similar issue with the dust). However, I did not learn until later that there was no working hot water in our room. By then, it was nearly 11 o'clock and simply too late to move rooms. The wifi was spotty and too frustrating to be of any use. The mattress was horrible and the pillows deplorable.

I think this hotel might be a little better when the renovations are complete, but until then I suggest making reservations elsewhere.

Room Tip: Better Once Renovations are Complete
Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley V
Reviewed December 10, 2016 via mobile

Lovely historic hotel currently in upheaval. Many of the doors had been damaged. We ended up in a renovated room which was lovely but heard every sound in the hotel, including a couple that were talking loudly (yelling?) most of the night. Internet went down for one of our nights. The website is also unreliable. Contact us was a dead end.
We aren't particularly fussy travellers and prefer historic, quaint places like this one. Pros - walking distance to the historic highlights, a restaurant on site with a great breakfast buffet at a most reasonable price, comfortable bed. Cons - repairs needed, commotion, staff unable or unwilling to deal with disturbance, crashing and banging started very early.
Renovations are slated to finish next summer or fall. Perhaps then this property will deserve another chance.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple