“Great hotel, area, restaurants....but, key problems”

NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia
Ranked #4 of 130 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Third visit. A great hotel, decent discount, in a great area, near great restaurants…so, what more could you want? Well, fewer key problems, for one! That’s the coveted 5th star. Really, for a major hotel (chain) to have such a mickey-mouse electronic room-key system is surprising. Essentially, you get one (una!) key per room (with option for an extra key that will just keep lights on…with and “x” so you can’t (¿) get them mixed up in your pocket). Staff volunteers give no nostra culpa, nostra máxima culpa to you right-off-the-bat, like: “We have a (momentary) glitch and we’re fixing it” or “I’m sorry but we have a bug in our program and IT will not under circumstance issue you two keys useable at the same time” (not withstanding how many people are in your room or how often you ask). The original programmer/company must be able to debug it, assuming they care. One employee queried told me the system had just gone awry that morning (we were there two days earlier, unbeknownst to him…no change in the glitch). He gave me essentially a “I would if I could but I can´t” with no further explanation. They sort of make you think it’s just temporary, not systemic. That means if you´re a family of four, with two teenage kids, you can’t come and go to all the restaurants/movies/etc nearby, and get back in as you wish.

Plenty of ironic guest comments in the elevator (most are too polite to challenge the front-desk staff…they grin and bear it) and oft deprogrammed cards. The staff will punch in your floor with their master-key if you ask them. You can take the elevator down without a card, but you can’t get back up (not even if other guests try to punch your floor with their cards) to your room (take your cell phone with you to advise anyone still holding the fort). Worse still, if your partner leaves the room (to visit other family members/children in rooms on the same floor or, God forbid, on another floor). There are stairs.

Instructions for the new electric double black-out and UV curtains on the morning sunnyside (eventually partially shaded by the building going up across the street) do not work as posted, except for both going up-and-down at the same time. Only one small bottle of water per room, though the coffee machine and kettle will take up most of that. Phantastic design of the vanity mirror in the bathroom. Plenty of channels on TV. They do now have a small pillows for stomach sleepers, though no good place (chair, etc) to easily pile up extra fluffy pillows and comforter without getting them dirty.
Discount on parking ticket at front desk, though not free for hotel guests. Valet possibility. To cross over to restaurants on Sao Paulo Street, go out the car entrance.

A honest, realistic time-frame for when your room will be ready, when it isn’t yet (not 30 minutes that turn into an hour), would be appreciated. You can always go downstairs for a coffee. Lobby is minimal for waiting for people.

Some of the staff was of great help: Gustavo in getting a reasonable rental car delivered on Sunday to the hotel; Sabino attending at the hotel buffet (good, but I like the Cafeto downstairs better).

Good hotel, but for the buts…

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Glenn R G
ArturoGDL, General Manager at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, we appreciate them and we take all of our guests´ suggestions seriously. I am sorry we did not meet up to your expectations 100%.

Definitely the key-card issue is a serious one we are definitely trying to correct. As the front desk staff mentioned, our supplier hasn´t been able to fix this glitch. We will be changing the whole system in January of next year and replacing it with a mucho more modern and user friendly one. I have also sent our maintenance manager to check on the functionality of the blinds in your room.

I do apologize for these inconveniences and I can assure you that we will work on them so that upon a future visit we will meet all your expectations. We hope you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 4 December 2017

We were here for a week and enjoyed the hotel. Great staff at front desk including Annabel, Susana, Jesus and Ruben. They spoke good English and helped with all our requests for travellers from out of town. Answered all our questions about where to go for sight seeing, restaurants and assisted with transportation to the locations. Organized things ahead of time for us. Ruben was exceptional and did everything one could ask of for service. Annabel was a blast joking around with us and providing wonderful service with a smile. The breakfast buffet was very good and the restaurant staff was amazing as was the chef doing the eggs for us. Hopefully the hotel will be able to retain these employees as it will make other guest experiences good. Would return in a moment if we ever go back to Guadalajara.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
ArturoGDL, General Manager at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for evaluating our services and sharing your comments about your recent stay with us and other Trip Advisor users. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that our Front Desk staff not only assisted you but did so with a great attitude. I have congratulated Susana, Jesús, Annabel and Ruben for their part in making your stay an enjoyable one, I am sure your comments will motivate them to continue with their great service attitude, they are definitely an asset to our hotel.

We hope we can be of service to you in the near future and should you need information or have any special requests please do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to be of assistance to you.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful and in a great location about 45 minutes from the airport in Guadalajara. Their staff is very friendly and helpful for international travelers and everyone could speak in English or Spanish. The room is very nice, spacious and has window coverings for an uninterrupted night's sleep. Their chilaquiles and room service menu was excellent. It was also a plus to have a nice big closer and desk area. So glad we went here! Lots of great restaurants just accross the street and very close to the Expo center.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
ArturoGDL, General Manager at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Dear Guest

I appreciate the time you took to evaluate our services during your recent visit to our hotel and I am glad to hear that we met your expectations. We thank you for your comments and evaluation. As you mentioned, our location is definitely an asset to our hotel as well as the size of our rooms and our brekfast fare. I am also happy that our staff was accomodating and could be of service to you during your stay.

We will be happy to have the opportunity of being able to be of service to you upon a future visit to Guadalajara, here at the NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, your home away from home!

Reviewed 15 November 2017

I just returned and had a wonderful experience. This hotel made our trip! The staff was beyond wonderful,big rooms, clean and great amenities. Located right across the street from some of the best restaurant in Guadalajara. Every time we entered the hotel, the door was opened and greeted with incredible hospitality. Annabel, thank you for taking care of us, you went above and beyond.

Room Tip: higher floor, lots of windows for a great view
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
ArturoGDL, General Manager at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Guest
I am very happy to hear that your experience during your stay was wonderful and that our staff went above and beyond the call of duty! I also appreciate the time you took to share your comments with other Trip Advisor users.
We hope to be able to be of service to you upon your next visit to our wonderful city, it will be a pleasure.
Once again thank you and have a great week.

Sincerely

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

The room was nice and big, with a good view. BUT they didn’t have hot water for the shower... The staff tried to fix the problem by never happened, it is the minimum that one would expect for such a pricy hotel. Breakfast is good.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
ArturoGDL, General Manager at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Dear Guest

We appreciate the time it took to send us your comments about your past stay at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, all the evaluations by our guests are well received as they help us identify possible areas for improvement in both our services and facilities.

I am very sorry for the fact that you have had problems with the hot water supply, we have sent the maintenance department to check the room you occupied and correct any problems that the system might have.

Again, I offer you an apology for this incident and I hope we can count on your preference again, I am sure that your stay will be different!

Sincerely

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Nice clean big rooms and very comfortable
The staff was excellent and very attentive
Hotel is close to many fine restaurants with excellent food
The hotel was a great value and I would stay there again anytime while in Guadalajara

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
ArturoGDL, General Manager at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Dear Guest

I am happy to learn that we met with your expectations during your recent stay at the NH Collection Guadlajara Providencia hotel, all of our Guests' comments and suggestions are very important to us since they help us better our services and installations.

We hope to be able to be of service to you upon a future visita to Guadalajara!

Best regards,

Reviewed 24 October 2017

This will be my third (or second because what should have been the second time they made a mistake with my reservation and I ended up in a cheap Hotel downtown, if anyone asks I do have emails as evidence). It has small places all over like the Lobby only a couple of chairs to seat on as well as the restaurant. I enjoy a place to watch a good game and there is no BAR ??? What's up with that. Breakfast just like anywhere else nothing to brag about. People are courteous although I always see different faces, seems like they don't like to work there for some reason. I went there with another colleague of mine and did not want to book there, he claims that they charge him an extra night on a previous business visit to Guadalajara, so it sounds like you will find trouble here. That has been my experience and I appreciate the opportunity for review.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
ArturoGDL, General Manager at NH Collection Guadalajara Providencia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Dear Guest

We appreciate the time you took to evaluate our hotel and send us your comments regarding your last visit to Guadalajara and I am very sorry we did not meet up to your expectations. I can assure you we are working on the issues you commented on.

As far as the lobby is concerned we are in the process of designing a new Front Desk, Guest Relations and Lobby area and the remodeling should be finished by the middle of December at the latest. We are also designing a lounge area adjacent to the restaurant and we also hope to have this finished by the end of the year.

We hope to be able to be of service to you in the near future, I am sure you will notice favorable changes. We wish you a great weekend!

Best Regards