All reviews great bathroom room service downtown area hotel is located first floor clean rooms stay there again cathedral pillows juan
Reviewed August 20, 2017

I recently stayed in this hotel on an 8-day trip. The rooms were clean and well-appointed. The facility in solid shape, the building in great shape.

It was overall a very pleasant place to bed down, but if you don't speak Spanish, I would think twice.

The desk staff is the weak point. Their English was poor and although I speak passable Spanish and had an easy time moving about the city and socializing with people in English or Spanish, I found had my most difficult times communicating about simple matters at the front desk. The desk staff was friendly and meant well, but I ultimately did not look forward to interacting with them because I came to feel that even simple requests were going to be a chore. They spoke quickly in Spanish, weren't good about speaking English, and in general did not seem ready to compensate for someone needing them to go more slowly, vary their wording, etc.

Room keys are also not needed to come and go from the building, so I had some sense that there wasn't much barrier between the street and the rooms. It seemed like anyone could walk into the building and proceed straight to the elevators without a need to identify as residents.

There was also a room rules document that seemed to suggest it was inappropriate to bring a friend to my room, somehow suggesting I should be entertaining guests on the first floor. I confess I did not understand that rule extremely well, either in its motivation or application, but it was at odds with normal rules of hotels I know from other places. It made me feel like having someone to my room, even just to pick something up, was going to lead to some kind of embarrassing confrontation for the friend I was visiting in the area. Perhaps it's just the wording of the rule, or perhaps it's that it's there at all. But it really needs review because it seemed very inappropriate to me. I don't mind a rule that's about resource consumption if someone is staying over, but that's a different matter entirely.

A hotel room should be my temporary home in the area, and both the weird visitation policy and the complication of just communicating with the desk staff played into making it not feel that way. If their English had been better, I might have raised questions interactively, but I just wasn't up to it. Maybe I could have done it in Spanish, but the prospect of needing to deal with subtle issues of nuance was not something I was excited about, and so I just let it go.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed May 18, 2017

Great hotel with clean rooms and bathrooms and friendly workers and close to veryting el Mercado de San Juan de dios, bars ,restaurant, park. And it has parking lot in the hotel very secure place I love this hotel its my number one choice in Guadalajara to sleep and relax bed it's very comfortable

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Monzerrath c, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Portobelo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2017

Thank you very much for your opinion Juan O. We´ll be glad to see you soon!

Reviewed May 9, 2017 via mobile

We visited Guadalajara for the first time and fell in love. We will be back
This hotel was so convenient for everything. Lots of great walking and Uber made the far reaches of town easy.
Portobelo had fabulous staff and were very happy with the rooms and views. Did I mention it was so nice and clean.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah Z
Reviewed May 2, 2017

This is a truly nice hotel, very clean, up-to-date, accommodating/informative staff and an outstanding location! There is a breakfast room with both a buffet and menu....plus there is room service 24 hours a day. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Guadalajara. It is also across from the main train/subway station that connects lines one and two. Inquire about a higher floor room if you are sensitive to city noise.

Room Tip: As stated above, if you are city noise sensitive you might inquire about a room on the parking lot side on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2017 via mobile

Nice hotel. very comfortable. The rooms have an excellent presentation.
Quiet and reasonably priced. In the middle of the night it got muggy. The air conditioning control is off. Other than that everything else was good. I like the fact that it is close to everything.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple