“Modern and Sophisticated” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Clarkston, Michigan
“Modern and Sophisticated”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

This is the hotel to stay If you are attending the conference center! It is located in front of the center. The hotel is roughly one year old and modren inside and out! The service is wonderful and very helpful with any questions, or comments, you may have. I found the rooms to be very spacious. The bathrooms are laden with marple and the bed very comfortable. They have roughly 40 cable channels one third of which are in English. The bar decor is modern and the seats very comfortable and easy to hold small meetings. The hotel does charge for internet use (unless you are in their premium membership level). The valet parking service is reasonably priced and efficient...never waited more than five minutes. Only one elevator was working when I stayed due to maintenance however I cannot fault the hotel for updating. This hotel is definitely a thmbs up!!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the best.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Dear mrmarutiak

I thank you for sharing with us your recent experiences at The Westin Guadalajara.

It is a pleasure to hear, that our associates and our facilities exceeded your expectations.

We are looking forward to receive you soon at The Westin Guadalajara.

Walter Harbich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Very nice, new hotel. Outstanding service from the bellmen, front desk, and restaurant staff. Always ready to offer advice on what to do and where to eat. The room is very large, ample storage. Could use a couple of more english language tv stations, and an electric outlet in the bathroom was not working, even though we brought to the staff;s attention. Excellent gym.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Rick L

Thank you very much for your comments and compliments.

It is a pleasure to hear, that our bellmen, our front desk and restaurant associates offered an exceptional service and that our Westin Workout Gym was up to your expectations.

We appreciate your feedback about our TV channels for us to improve.

We are looking forward to be at your service in the near future at The Westin Guadalajara.

Mexico City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed the Constitution Day three day weekend here and was very pleased. Staff are outstanding, full courtesy, smiles, eager to please outgoing. Brand new feel everywhere, does minimalism right, clean and spotless, wonderful beds, very nice rooms.

Much better hotel than the Quinta Real, which has always sort of just missed the market.

Hotel was slow so they did not have the buffet on Sunday for breakfast which was disappointing, but they made up for it with great a la carte service. It is so nice they should market to locals like the nearby Flor de Calabaza does with its weekend buffets.

Parking is valet parking only which I guess some would not like, but I found it to be fine.

I liked the hotel and will be back. It is my new favorite in one of my favorite domestic cities for visits.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Happy_on_the_road

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate this kind of comments from such a world traveler as you are.

It is nice to hear, that our associates fulfilled our service culture and that our rooms exceeded your expectations.

We thank you also for your feedback regarding our restaurant Casa de las Rosas, which we will review with our Chef and Food & Beverage manager.

It will be a pleasure to receive you soon at The Westin Guadalajara

Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Very nice hotel to stay in Guadalajara!!. Very modern and fashion design.

EXTREMELY NICE staff with one of the best service attitudes I have ever enjoyed. Everyone of them is very kind, especially in the front desk as well as in the restaurant. Also, very efficient valet parking service!

The gym is first class!

The food in the restaurant is excellent! Though three improvements would be very much appreciated: (1) fresh fruit and not refrigerated for a long time, (2) a carrot juice prepared just before it is served and not since the day after, and (3) a slightly faster service in the restaurant (though I repeat that the staff in the restaurant is excellent, very kind and polite!)

The hotel is brand new and the rooms are equipped with one of the best beds I have ever slept on!!

Excellent price-benefit ratio! I will make it my home when in Guadalajara!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have spectacular views of the city!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VNastabliek
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear VNastabliek

We really appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Westin Guadalajara.

We are pleased to hear, that our associates went the extra step to deliver exceptional service and to make your stay memorable. This is the best reward we can receive.

It is a pleasure to now, that our Westin Workout Gym and Heavenly Bed fulfilled our Brand Mission, ensuring when you stay with us, you leave feeling better than when you arrived.

Regarding the three improvements you mention, we will work with our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to improve our service.

Thank you again for your comments, and it will be a pleasure to receive you soon at The Westin, your home in Guadalajara.

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Lovely - very new, very clean and great rooms. Well-designed bedrooms and bathrooms - and amazing breakfasts. Really well-located for the Expo and a good place to get into central Guadalajara and Tlaquepaque. Only down-side was the lack of outside space - no pool and only a small terrace next to a great sized bar/lounge. Staff were really helpful and keen.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Jules-and-Lloyd

Thank you very much for your comments and compliments.
It is a great pleasure to hear, that our rooms, the breakfast at our restaurant Casa de las Rosas and our associates were up to your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at The Westin Guadalajara.

Sincerely

Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

When my husband and I learned that Guadalajara was going to have a Westin just a few blocks from our apartment, we made plans to visit as soon as we could after its opening, so we could check it out for in-town getaways and guests that might come to visit us. We spend a weekend there in November of 2011 and were generally very pleased with the experience.

The hotel is packed into a tiny little parcel of land right across the street from the Expo Guadalajara in the pleasant neighborhood of Residencias del Bosque, making it not only very convenient for those attending events there, but also for accessing transportation (buses, taxis) to other parts of the city via a major avenue in the city, Avenida Mariano Otero (2 km from Plaza del Sol shopping mall, 3.4 km to Centro Magno shopping mall, 3.5 km from shops and restaurants on Avenida Chapultepec, 6 km to Colonia Providencia, 5 km to the Zona Centro, 10 km to Tlaquepaque).

The guest rooms are very comfortable, as Westin rooms usually are. Yet these are spacious, and sport a beautiful modern design in white, ecru and fern green. I especially liked the large bathrooms, with plenty of counter space and a walk-in shower that could comfortably accomodate five people at once. Water pressure and temperature were both fantastic. Although our room was only on the sixth floor, floor-to-ceiling windows facing the west afforded a lovely view of the sunset each evening.

It is unfortunate the the hotel has neither a pool nor a Jacuzzi, but several Westin properties do not. Nonetheless, the Westin Workout Gym, open 24-hours, is superb. It has several machines for cardio, a couple of weight machines, free weights, bottled water, towels and changing rooms/bathrooms right there. It is kept spotless and wonderfully cool.

The in-house restaurant (Casa de las Rosas) is as resplendent as the rest of the property, and has food that was well-prepared, well-presented and delicious. Most customers will be blown away by it. My husband and I are vegetarians however, and we found the selection for us to be somewhat limited, especially since we dined at the restaurant for nearly every meal during our stay. What they did have was not nearly as innovative as the meat dishes: guacamole, salads, fried cheese. It is a common attitude in Mexico that vegetarians do not eat much other than salads, but as Westin is a worldwide chain, I expect them to know better. Unlike other Westin hotels that we have visited, they did not seem very willing to accomodate us, not even by presenting us with options that are already found in the kitchen but are not listed on the menu as main courses.

One evening, I ordered for a side of mashed potatoes, because the ones that accompanied the steak that a friend of ours was enjoying looked delicious: golden yellow and slightly chunky. When my order arrived, they were obviously reconstituted dehydrated potatoes from a box. They tasted terrible, especially alongside what was otherwise delicious food. When I complained about them, I was given apologies and jokes, but they were neither replaced nor removed from the check.

Apart from this though, the service from the restaurant and service staff was top-notch, being both friendly and professional. In fact, the above mentioned friend wanted to sit at a table in the private dining area so that we could see the fireworks that were being set off to celebrate a Mexican holiday. I felt uncomfortable about this (the area was clearly closed off), but the service staff insisted that it would be okay and seated us with a stunning view of the pyrotechnics. It made it a very special experience for us.

Another odd incident involved being told by an employee (not in the restaurant) that the only way he would receive a tip would be if I left it in cash (as opposed to signing it to the room). I could not verify whether or not this is true. I do not know why he would say this were it not, but I hope that the hotel does not engage in such treatment of their employees, not to mention such deception of their guests.

Regarding Starwood Preferred Guest benefits: I hold SPG Gold level status, and as such, I am supposed to receive an automatic room upgrade when they are available at check-in. We stayed over a weekend when there was very low occupancy, yet we were given a room on the 6th floor. There were undoubtedly rooms available on higher floors, and probably so were some corner rooms. I just figured there was some reason that our room was considered special, even though it did not seem particularly noteworthy. Later, I asked at reception what made the 6th floor special for SPG guests and what the upgrade asset was, I was told that the person that checked us in made a mistake and failed to give us the upgrade we were due. That person offered to change our room, but by that time, we had unpacked and used the room to a degree that we felt we should just stay where we are.

Despite these relatively minor issues, we had a wonderful stay at the Westin Guadalajara, and are delighted that we have such a stellar hotel in our city. We are looking forward to going back for another in-town getaway as soon as we can.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iamcrispydammit
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed four nights, very nice. Brand new - I thought I was the first person to use the room. Nice layout of the room, plenty of closet space, plenty of counter top space in the bathroom. Very, very clean. The staff was friendly, polite, eager to help. Everyone spoke very good English. The food in the restaurant was great - I had dinner and breakfast twice - high end Mexican cuisine. The room service was fast even in the middle of the night and the food great - yummy tomato soup! I didn't use the gym, but I saw it and it looked just as nice as everything else. I really did not expect such a great hotel and was pleasantly surprised (I travel a lot and know the difference).

The only objection I have is that the hotel does not have a gift store (although the next door Hilton is about 20 feet away and has a good size store) and it does not have a pool - this was very surprising for a hotel in the city with such perfect weather.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I asked for the room on a high floor to avoid noise from the city - got a room on the 16th floor and...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear ann7544

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Westin Guadalajara. It is a great pleasure to read, that our our associates, our room and our restaurant Casa de las Rosas surpassed your expectations.

Please accept my apology that we do not have a swimming pool in the hotel. Regarding the gift shop, we are in the process to integrate one in our hotel. Next time that we have the honor to serve you again, it should be in place.

We are looking forward to receive you soon at The Westin Guadalajara.

Sincerely