“Excelente”

Price range: US$2 - US$2
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Farm-to-table cuisine, inspired by the work of local producers, our greenhouse in Tapalpa and the urban garden located on the roof of the restaurant. From Tuesday to Saturday, we close the restaurant at 17:00, after finishing lunch service. We open again at 19:00 for dinner service.
Reviewed December 7, 2016

This is a great restaurant for a foodie - No questions about it. They seem like a hip restaurant but don't let that image fool you because their dishes is a contemporary classic. I little pricey but not overpriced and the atmosphere is bland. Nothing wrong about it but not the best place if you are planning a romantic dinner. All main dishes and appetizers that we had were excellent. The desserts were good but not out-standing. i would have rated them excellent except for the atmosphere there. They also had some craft beers which is very rare/unusual in GDL in a restaurant. On the whole this seems to be a great place to have a dinner and savor it.

P.S. The restaurant does NOT have a big sign. Though directly on Lopez Cotilla, you will need to be attentive to find this gem between the glitters.

Date of visit: December 2016

Reviewed October 31, 2016

My hotel recommended I try Allium - and I'm glad I did.
They have some interesting cocktails to start - So I began with a refreshing Grapefruit and Gin cocktail. I followed this with an incredible heirloom tomato salad. There was quite a variety of very tasty tomatoes in the generous salad. For the main course, I selected fish. When the plate was brought to my table, I thought the serving looked a bit small. But the avocado and other items accompanying the fish made the serving perfect.

You can chose to sit inside or out on the patio. I recommend the patio as the inside room felt a bit stuffy to me.

Service was friendly - and many of the servers do speak English.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed October 25, 2016

The restaurant was a 1/2 block from our hotel and the food was terrific and our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu items. Also, very familiar with the wines that they serve. We would go back there again.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed August 22, 2016

We had a great weekend in Guadalajara the highlight being Villa Ganz where we stayed. We did a tour of nearby restaurants in the hood and this one fit the bill. The service and food were no less than we are accustomed to at home in the Bay Area and at a reasonable price, no doubt due to a generous exchange rate. It does have a bit of a hipster vibe but it worked for us older folk

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed August 3, 2016

I am originally from Guadalajara, though I've been living abroad for more than a decade. Every time that I visit I like to check new places out. Guadalajara is going through a culinary boom. Would consider it as a renaissance. Historical food gems are still there, but there a variety of new food/restaurant concepts coming to life in the city. Allium is definitely at the top of the list.

The restaurant is small, but its open spaces make it comfortable. One thing that my brother and I noted is that it is hard to hear conversation from other tables, which for us is a plus. We are not interested in the curious foodies listening to our conversations.

The personnel is amazing. Not your regular people attending. I felt that everyone who attended us was polite, smart and non intrusive. They approached our table with education and at the right times. Not trying to be overly helpful, which easily turns into the service being intense.

Now I want to talk about the food. Oh my god, it was so good. The portions were right. The flavor was amazing. We started with some starters like a heirloom tomato salad, which is probable one of the freshest salads that I've ever had in Guadalajara. Not surprised, as they harvest their vegetables in house and they are feet away from the kitchen. Their crab cakes were good, nothing impressive. Up there with some other crab cakes that I've tried. However, we also tried a shrimp ceviche which was extremely fresh and different than your regular ceviche. Paired with the right vegetables grown in house.

For our entrees we decided to share two different fish dishes and a wagyu sirloin. The wagyu was extremely good. It was tasteful and paired up with the right vegetables to make it even more delicious. It was a little high on the fat, but that results in it packing more flavor. We had a fish paired with broccoli and a bed of a cream of broccoli. It was good, but could not beat the other fish based on corn. This one had a corn based sauce and bright yellow corn grains. It was extremely good, packed with a rich flavor. I am a big fan of corn chowders due to their rich flavor. This dish blended an amazing corn cream with the fish in order to provide an extraordinary flavor.One of my brother's had the lamb and he really liked it as well.

We got a caramelized apple ice cream, a chocolate tart and a flan for dessert. All three were very good, but the chocolate tart and the ice cream went above and beyond. I had never tried such an ice cream, and it for sure meet my palates bar. The chocolate cake was bold and rich in flavor. The right taste of dark chocolate without it being too much. Loved it!

Our experience was amazing. I have a handful of long time favorites in Guadalajara and Allium has the potential to push one of them out. Will definitely check it out again. Loved the fact that the kitchen was open and we could see the passion with which the cooks were working and getting creative!

Date of visit: July 2016