“Beautiful and magical! Wonderful place to stay”

Hotel Real Guanajuato
Ranked #41 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Great place, wonderful location, there is a coffee shop next door and a great little breakfast place across the street. The hotel is very clean, traditional and comfortable. There are a lot of stairs and no elevator, but is totally worth it. The view from our large room (room 10) was perfect and sitting in the terrace was nice. Don't expect a fancy place, it is not, but it has all the services at a great price. The only negative was parking, There is no hotel parking, but free street parking. although the parking guy was very nice, I don't understand why I have to give him my keys, he scratched one of my tires. Aside from that I'd stay there every time if I get to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Teresa C

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We arrived in Guanajuato on March 29th with no hotel booking. My daughter left me on a park bench and set off to find a hotel....we were lucky to get one, as it was Good Friday on a holiday long weekend. She found us a room on the top floor of Hotel Real Guanajuato.

The walk to our floor took us up several steep staircases, but we were very pleased when we opened the (short) door to the room. There was a lovely mural on the wall and a comfy looking bed in an alcove.

Everything in the room was compact, including the bathroom, but we enjoyed the quaintness of the experience. A trip to the rooftop terrace gave us an amazing view of the city and the hotel was perfectly situated for us to explore great restaurants, the Diego Rivera Museum and some excellent gift shopping.

Room Tip: The higher up your room, the warmer it is!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Islander280
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends while visiting Guanajuato in October 2012. Upon arrival, we were shocked at how many people there were in the village. We hadn't realised there was the annual festival during that weekend. It took a while to check in - we had booked three rooms. the rooms were small but all we needed for the two days we were in Guanjuato. Lugging baggage up those stairs was a bit of a nightmare. However, the hotel itself is really interesting - there are bullet holes in some of the walls, beautiful old paintings everywhere in the foyer, there's a bar downstairs which appeared to have a Scottish theme (go figure), and a fairly decent restaurant. We had breakfast the days we were there, no problems encountered. Hotel Real is right in the centre of things - you're surrounded by restaurants, pubs, shops, galleries (including Diego Rivera's house). Also, I would definitely recommend a visit to the Mummy Museum - although perhaps not with a hangover. If you're after a late drunken night, I'd recommend the Wot If bar, in one of the backstreets somewhere - had a great night drinking tequila and mezcal with the locals. If I was ever to return to Mexico, I would include at least a week in Guanajuato during the festival, and would most probably stay at Hotel Real again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank evie_wahini
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The only thing good was the location to town but that was only good if you don't mind listening to drunk people, music and fireworks all night! Beds were terrible, the room was always light from the street and hallway lights, no ameities, to get WiFi you had to hang out the window, no water pressure and the drains did not work. We found out there are many other hotels for nearly the same price with much bette accommodations.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barb S
Reviewed 3 May 2012

They didn't honor our reservation even though we confirmed the day before. Luckily the hotel next door (Los poetas) had rooms and was lovely. Don't give them your business.

Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Ksss8
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Average quality of the room.
Rooms are huge and equipped with a small kitchen.
Breakfast is not offered at the hotels.
Location is very central like many other hotels in Guanajuato.
To my opinion, this hotel is overestimated on Tripadvisor; I would not recommend it!
I did not appreciate that the receptionist insisted too much to sell us his tours and gave us some wrong information (opening hours ...).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BenjiFrankfurt
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed there in a trip with my boyfriend and it was really good. I loved the decoration, and it's really clean and beautiful.
The rooms are comfortable and the service was really good too.
The view is perfect, it's lovely and romantic, perfect for a romantic trip. And the location too, it's in the center of Guanajuato.
I'll never forget this trip. Everything there was amazing.
I hope I can go back one day, because the city is awesome too, really beautiful.
And if I go back I'll definitely stay in that place again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple