“New name - LA SANTURRONA”
Review of Bagel Cafetin - CLOSED

Bagel Cafetin
Price range: US$4 - US$6
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed May 4, 2015

This restaurant is no longer called Cafe Bageltín.

I hope I got the new spelling correct. I am a resident of the town. This used to be called Cafe Bageltín, but a couple of weeks ago the owners changed the name. Still the same owners.

Now that that is out of the way, I can review it!

Guanajuato, is not known as a city with good restaurants, but that seems to be changing. La Santuronna is one of the reasons. I really like the food here. I used to come for just drinks with friends, in the evenings, but had not really tried their food, which used to be quite simple.

Now that has changed. I have now eaten at La Santurrana (Bagel Cafetín) perhaps 10 times, and each time the food is quite good. The last two times I had the 7.0-oz burger with sweet peppers and mushrooms and bacon, and it was VERY good, and I very much recommend it. That was two weeks ago when it was still named Cafe Bageltín. My last time was for lunch (three days ago), and they had all-new menus and a new name - La Santurrona. I had an arrachera burger (skirt steak strips, marinated in Mexican seasonings), and my g.f. had the chicken fajitas. Both were very delicious, and I recommend them both. We had lemonades (freshly squeezed), which were plenty good enough that we ordered seconds.

The outdoor setting is majorly delightful, one of the best locations in town for people watching. It is in the corner of a small plaza, where the pedestrian-only street makes a turn, and with a couple of statues by some tree-shaded benches. It is all cobblestone, and a narrow picturesque alleyway behind leads up a hill. It is one of the best places to sit and watch the world go by - in a city of many such places. The mixed drink selection is one of the better ones in town.

The menu is fairly large, including burgers, vegetarian, Mexican, seafood, chicken dishes (that I can remember). The dishes on the menu are all given the names of women - which is new, so with the new menu I am not sure which dish is which, not yet, anyway. The seafood is quite good and fresh, despite the city's distance from the coasts.

The food came promptly and the wait staff is attentive and friendly, but also quite unobtrusive.

All in all, one of my favorite eating spots in town. And becoming more so.

Reviewed April 22, 2015

Stopping for a late lunch, we ordered off the board out front offering daily specials. We chose fish tacos with a draft beer and pasta Alfredo with a glass of sangria. The tacos were okay...not much fish and the batter was greasy. The Alfredo was good and came with lots of sauce and was a good portion. The sangria was also good...made in the restaurant not the type I have had in another local restaurant which was awful tasting and came out of a small capped bottle! The price was very reasonable and a number of daily specials are offered as well as the main menu.

We returned another day and sat outside to watch the world go by and have a recommended margarita. The menu does advertise it as a frappe but I asked for 'on the rocks' instead. Mistake. The taste was good but the portion served in a small glass full of large ice cubes, was stingy. I commented on this to our server and he explained that was the same amount of ice they would use in the frappe so I got it all! I am still searching for a decent margarita in Guanajuato!

We enjoy the restaurant location but don't go there as frequently as we could...

Reviewed September 14, 2014

This little restaurant has a fairly limited menu - more drinks and snacks/light meals. Great outdoor seating area for people watching. I had margaritas twice here that were the best I've ever had. Also sopa Azteca which was delicious. Excellent service.

Reviewed September 6, 2014

2 years ago we came here regularly for a month. In the morning we had coffee and bagels. Later in the day often a meal. Is there new management? No sé. Doesn't open until noon, loud music blasting, and the food isn't as good as it was. What happened? I was a fan? Back for a month and probably not returning to Bagel Cafetín.

1  Thank Cantorpam
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Absolutely beautiful decorations to put a huge smile on your face! Worth it just for the Mexican kitsch vibe, although the food is delicious too.

The owners are wonderfully friendly. It's also a lovely little spot to sit outside when it's sunny, and if it's raining it's great to watch the little alley next to the restaurant turn into a waterfall! A true delight of a place...