“Geriatric crowd - +70 and older only!”
Review of Mercaderes

Mercaderes
Ranked #104 of 5,760 Restaurants in Mexico City
Price range: US$17 - US$25
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Centro Histórico
Description: Located in the heart of Mexico City, just half a block from the cathedral, with the best atmosphere, a place where the fusion of colonial architecture and fine dining are given easily. Enjoy a good wine, accompanied by the best and finest dishes in a unique atmosphere in the historic center of Mexico City, or simply enjoy a pleasant chat and a drink in our bar area if you plan to visit the center of our city considers an excellent dining experience in Mercaderes.
Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

First impression was not great. It was a thursday night and 90 % of the folks in this place were geriatric. Probably all 65 years and older. Not to be mean but if you are looking for a lively scene this is not the place. Service was very slow and the waiter was unfamiliar with the wine list. Not a lick of english to even help make a reccomendation. We were starving and all the other restaurants were booked or we would have probably walked out.
There was no music playing, staff was vacuming and moving tables while we ate ( was only 8pm!) I thought that was rude.
Was not the highly rated place we anticipated.

Reviewed February 2, 2018

I was craving steak while in the CDMX and came here and wow am I glad that I did. It's a gorgeous space with incredible service in a very upscale environment but with reasonable prices because hey, it's Mexico City. The steaks are great as is the tuna appetizer and flan. Plus of course tequila cocktails.

Reviewed January 20, 2018

My friends and I ate here recently. The venue and service were superb. Unfortunately, our supper was disappointing (Pechuga Mercaderes) as it was overdone and subsequently very dry. The Serrano ham appetizer sliced at your table was quite tasty. However, it ended up costing one third of our total Bill. Of course, they never offered the price when asking if you would like to order. Overall, less than impressed.

Reviewed January 16, 2018

I had just gotten back from a day trip. It was late, and I was ravenously hungry. I did a map search for area restaurants and this one had good reviews. Fortunately they had a table, and I quickly ordered a tamarind-chicken dish and a cold beer. What arrived far exceeded my expectations. First came some (complimentary) appetizers - tomatoes in balsamic vinaigrette, and a fresh hot circular loaf of herb seasoned bread with dipping sauce and butter. It was probably meant to serve a whole table full of people, but I destroyed that thing. Delicious! The chicken dish was wonderful, with a fresh tamarind flavour and a blend of local cheeses. Service was top-notch, and the bill was about $25 including my 20% gratuity. Wish I could eat there again right now.

1  Thank Klaus S
Reviewed January 5, 2018

We all had wonderful entrees that were traditional Mexican dishes with a unique presentation . They start you off with homemade bread that is excellent. The service was wonderful.
This will be one of our go to places from now on.