See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 29, 2013

All of which were required for my stay!
I nearly lost my sense of humour but the memories of endless chuckles over Fawlty Towers helped me retain it.
It started to go wrong when we checked in - I was travelling with a friend and we had requested a twin bedded room (i.e. two beds). I appreciate that there could be a misunderstanding but the receptionist apologised when we checked in that such a room was not available so they had upgraded us to a double room (so they knew what we wanted). The room was dark and the lamps didn't work (because half the sockets weren't working). So the nice maintenance chap came to see us - we were on very good terms by the time we left!
The Wi-Fi didn't work in the room even though we had the code (we found out as we were leaving that the hotel had a laptop or something that we could have borrowed)
We wanted a light snack and a drink so we tried the roof bar - which had been one of the main attractions of the hotel - it isn't open in the week - and they cover everything up so you can't even sit up there to enjoy the views. So we went to the restaurant in the courtyard, which was really busy with one poor chap covering the bar and serving the tables. It took over 30 minutes for us to get a drink (everyone was complaining) and the chef eventually served us - we didn't dare ask for a second drink.
We asked to be moved to a twin room the next day as one was available. Unfortunately nobody told housekeeping and our laundry failed to follow us. I could understand that but not the receptionist almost calling us liars, assuring us the laundry was in our room and eventually him coming to check for himself (as I was taking a shower!). He had been asking the housekeeper where our laundry was and she had been saying in our room (not knowing we had moved), Not sure what he said to her but she was in tears when she arrived with the laundry so we had to reassure her it was all Ok and not her fault.
The shower in the new room didn't work 9so maintenance chap made one of his viists to us) and neither did the telephone, so when the receptionist asked us to phone if we had any more problems - we couldn't!
Our new room was in the courtyard, on the route to the lift for the roof bar which was now open, so we had chatty people walking past way into the night.
The good news was the Wi-Fi worked on the roof top.
It would not take much to get these points right and then it would be a great hotel - as the location is really good, so I can see why it has such varied reviews.
I hope the management sort the issues before everyone stops going there (I will not be staying there again - we transferred to another hotel after the laundry fiasco and it was a joy not to have to deal with all these things whilst on holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor away as it minimises the people traffic going to the roof bar
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AJMglobaltraveller
maulinder, Director General at Boutique Hotel de Cortes, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank your very much for your comments, are very important and make us see the possible operation to correct errors.
really sorry the terrace lounge bar only open Thursday through Saturday, give us the opportunity to welcome you back at your hotel in mexico this, we are at your service waiting to see you again.

Lic. Martin Morales
Hotel Director

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I'm astonished by the recent poor reviews of this hotel. I stayed at the hotel for 5 days in March and therefore was in contact with pretty much all of the people who work there, from administration, to restaurant, to housekeepers. I found all to be polite, friendly and well trained. I received knowledgeable assistance from administration and friendly helpful service in the restaurant and bar. Housekeeping was impeccable and towels and shampoos, etc were timely replaced. My second day at breakfast I was, without asking, served a pitcher of hot milk to use in my coffee because the server remembered from the day before that that was my preference.
I have stayed at the de Cortes many times over the last 30+ years, through many changes in administration and through renovations. I loved the old ambience, and was fearful of the modern changes, but feel that a good job was done in balancing the old with the new. It is true that it is sometimes a little noisy in the central courtyard. It's an old stone building and there is a natural echo, but I have never found the noise to be disruptive. If you are easily disturbed, it might be a good idea to pack earplugs for anywhere in México!
The location can't be beat. Right next to the metro, and yes I use it a lot. The new metrobus has a stop right in front, and you are easily within walking distance of the zócalo and many popular museums.
I can't say enough good about the way that I was treated by the staff. This is a comfortable, friendly oasis in the chaos of the city. I'm headed back to D.F. later this month and would not consider staying anywhere else.
Is there anything I don't like? Yes...I don't particularly like the music played in the courtyard and restaurant. But, it's so innocuous that it can be tuned out! If I had my preference, they would play Méxican music!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed April 17, 2013

For the price you pay (which isn't low) you get terrible service, very rude employees, the room was pretty beaten up and not taken care of in a while.
They charged me more than was supposed to and then asked me to consume breakfast so they wouldn't have to give me my money back.
Check out took us more than 30 minutes.
The concierge was rude, didn't have any turist information, attended any other person that showed up while we were in our process.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank EmMorningstar
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Good location, beautiful architecture and attractive decoration but, snob management with a very poor supervision over the untrained employees. We were served a cold coffee in a broken cup for breakfast and when we showed the pre-used jam container to the waiter, he mentioned that this is the fault of people who close the lid after they eat!!!!! When I was so upset about not having an access to the internet for 3 consecutive days, the manager said that the internet service is a complementary and free of charge service. Therefore, if you do not have an access to the internet it shouldn't bother you??!!! When you ask the Concierge-Reception Desk for the address of any exclusive restaurant, she calls the bellboy! to provide his personal information.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tamin4
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The hotel is charming with cosy environment, a beautiful architecture and great decoration. The location is excellent and the food is very good.
On the other hand I found the employees, in general, badly trained. They lack knowledge and their supervision from management is poor.
Examples: The cleaners often did not put enough towels in my room. We were two guests and they put only one set of towels instead of two. They did not empty one of the trash cans during my whole stay. The receptionist-concierge is overloaded often not available to help.
They do not offer the guests basic tourist maps of the city. The information provided by the employees were limited and often wrong.

Room Tip: Second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple