All reviewsboutique hotelgreat neighborhoodlarge bathroomthe location is perfectno elevatorhuge citychapultepec parklovely hotelliving roomwithin easy walking distancebreakfast includedsafe areafirst floorhot watermexicometrodoorman
Reviewed February 13, 2017

Stayed at this hotel at the suggestion of a friend and it was a great place at a great rate. This is old school hospitality. This is not a mega-chain, soulless hotel. It is a unique and charming hotel that is centrally located. The building itself is amazing and they have decorated it in what their website describes as "Porfirian Era" decor. As such, there are no high tech touches like a key card - you're given an actual key, that you drop off at the Front Desk if you're going out for the day so that you're room is cleaned while you're out. I was lucky to get room 1214 which actually used to be 2 rooms (12 and 14, hence the room number) that they combined into two rooms with a living room, bathroom and a bedroom. It was overly spacious for just one person but really nice. The rooms are clean, the bed is comfortable and the bathroom was large as well. The best part about this hotel, however, is the service. They are very attentive without being intrusive. Every request, no matter how small or big, is attended to promptly and without question. From the 24 hour doorman, to the front desk attendant and the cleaning and restaurant staff they are all professional and warm. And while I was out exploring the city during the day, it was nice to come back to the hotel at the end of the day to this comfortable hotel.

Foodie Tips - this hotel is on the same street/block of several noteworthy places to eat:
Contramar, Dulce Maguey, Taqueria La Negra and the taco stand catty corner to the hotel during the day.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2017

Hotel La Casona is nicely located in a quiet, tree-lined section of Condesa. I traveled to Mexico City with girlfriends, and we felt quite safe in this area. Expectations, however, should certainly be managed. I would not describe the hotel as a boutique hotel (as described in other reviews), per se. It is a converted home, which could be charming, but the decor of the rooms and common areas is unquestionably worn and rough around the edges. Everything was clean, but it could use a "refresh."

If you prefer comfortable amenities like extra blankets (it was cold, and the beds do not have duvets), mini-bar, or safes in the rooms, this may not be the option for you. The price is right - it is an inexpensive hotel - but the rooms and offerings are bare bones. For example, we needed more than one key for our room (which I would not consider an "amenity"), and that was not available.

Some of the positives include:
Yummy/easy in-house breakfast, large rooms, money exchange at the front desk, price, and location.

Some of the negatives include:

The walls are quite thin, which is to be expected from a converted old home, but, again, if you require privacy or need no noise in order to sleep, I would not recommend staying here. We consistently heard beeping, footsteps, water running, etc. We didn't mind, but I think it is imperative to point this out.

With regards to the service, I am shocked to hear from other reviewers that it was attentive. It was perfunctory at best. If you like to seek recommendations for things (restaurants, attractions, etc.) from hotel staff, this, again, is not the hotel for you. Even if you are looking for basic information, please understand that you may not obtain it. When we would ask about locations of attractions or recommendations for simple things (where can we buy cigars or is there a taco place nearby), we were often met with a blank stare or, worse, the picking up a ringing telephone without any acknowledgment. We were made to feel as if we were either imposing or that it is simply not the job of a hotel employee to handle questions such as these. I would say the three to four employees with whom we interacted daily were unable to provide information to us. That being said, when pressed, they were able to help us change dinner reservations at our request and call a taxi to the airport.

I would recommend this hotel if you are seeking an affordable, safe place to stay, and you do not plan to be in the room very much. There are no really good gathering spaces in the hotel so you will be hanging out in your room, if you are at the hotel for breaks during the day. It was a good, well-priced option for a group of ladies to explore the incredible offerings of Mexico City. However, I would never recommend this hotel for a romantic or relaxing getaway. It is a good option for you to use as your base camp for touring, leave your things and knock out at night, but that is really it. It is certainly not a destination unto it self.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nolanative
Reviewed January 11, 2017 via mobile

It's an old place so thin walls are understandable. Above my room though there was a water pump or something running every 15 seconds. The lights would dim then clunk clunk went the pipes. All day, all night. It's quaint and charming but the noise was unbearable.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Tbchevrolet
Reviewed November 23, 2016

This is a wonderful, quirky hotel in one of the most interesting districts of Mexico City. The rooms are beautifully decorated with interesting wooden furniture and trompe l'oeil features and the corridors are adorned with Mexican art and European antiques. The fabulous tiles in my bathroom were another pleasing feature. The atmosphere at the hotel is homely and cosy and the staff are unfailingly smiley and helpful, and extremely patient with regard to my poor Spanish.The breakfast was delicious and beautifully presented and the room service I had was also excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any other travellers and would love to go back.

Room Tip: I've seen that other travellers have said it was a little noisy but my room faced onto the inner courtyard and I was not disturbed at all.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank nickynoocotswolds
Reviewed November 18, 2016

We stayed at La Casona during our stopover in Mexico City. We felt right at home at this small, Swiss boutique hotel. The location is perfect and the property has a lot of charme. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We felt very safe and truly enjoyed our stay. Would highly recommend it for both leisure and business travellers.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple