“Not Even To My Worst Enemy...”
Review of Real del Sur

Real del Sur
Ranked #274 of 309 Hotels in Mexico City
Whittier, California
“Not Even To My Worst Enemy...”
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I always wanted to stay in this hotel. The logo of the hotel shows "five stars", its appearance from the outside is good, a nice ample lobby, but that's it.
My first room assigned was almost dark and two light bulbs were out. Due to the distance and construction style the WiFi signal couldn't reach my room, and all the cars noise from the outside Division Del Norte Ave ramp wasn't stopped by the windows. I requested another room and after waiting few minutes I was moved to the 3rd floor. The rooms have a good size, coffee maker (but no coffee). The lighting was better as well as the WiFi strength signal (by the way, I have to change soooo many times my system preferences in order to gain internet access; I'm not sure if this trouble was only on my Mac and iPhone but was a real pain trying to access every time I turned on any of my devices).
The rooms do not have their doors and windows sealed so all the noise from Tlapan St and the music from the lobby bar goes in your room clear and loud!
The staff is friendly and parking is free but I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy... Oh, Deception!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Miguel-Mex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
CO
Reviewed 22 December 2008

The hotel used to be top class, but is a bit worn with age. Music is nice. Food is good. Location: convenient to south perimeter, metro, and a small shopping area with grocery and restaurant. They have plenty of hot water for showers, and various services and amenities you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

Biggest problem, I checked at 11 pm with a colleague. We were assigned two rooms and found they were both already occupied. We went back to the desk and got two more keys. One of the rooms was vacant, the other was occupied. So, I was upgraded to a nice room with jacuzzi, which I traded with my colleague because his room was dark, dingy and uninviting.

Second night a bellman knocked at 10 pm. I answered. He said he was just checking to see if the room was occupied. At 11 pm a couple who had been assigned to my room were trying to enter with their key.

The WiFi worked best in or near the back of the lobby, and then not all the time. There was a business center. I was able to connect my laptop by cable there.

It was December and the lobby was rather cool. There are no thermostats in the room. You need a bellman to adjust the temperature.

There are not many decent hotels on the south side, so this is actually one of the better ones in the area. If you are going to stay there, bring a sweater, bring a cable for you laptop, use the safe, lock your door at night, and knock before entering your room.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — hassles
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AdTechLady

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2006

Very clean, neat. Friendly, attentive staff. The tv wasn't working when we got into our room and they immediately replaced it. Room service was quick and friendly. Our room had a great view of the city lights. Has a great restuarant that had a pianist & live band (played soft dinner music only) in the evening. (was on a Friday). Hotel also has a small hair salon (very small!) that was great and very busy on a Saturday. I do want to mention that during a hard rain the lobby area was wet from a leak from the plexiglass high ceiling. Never a big problem though and didn't affect any rooms.

Stayed July 2006
6 Thank lopez2125
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 November 2004

Average hotel far south of the city. Mainly business. On a main road, near to the trolley bus and there is a supermarket and restaurant across the way, but crossing the road is very very dangerous, be careful. Staff are okay, but absolutely no English. f you need to travel from the hotel take a taxi outside from one of the doorman,arrange a price first. Don't take the green/white taxis, too risky.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member