“On its way down”

Camino Real Polanco Mexico
Ranked #68 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This was my third stay at the Camino Real, the first time being round 8-10 years ago. I remember my first visit as being blown away by the cool architecture, the amazing fountain in the entranceway, the bar made out of solid ice in the lobby where they served great martinis. Boy has that all gone now. I arrived at midnight after a 22 hour flight from Singapore and was made to queue for at least 30-40 minutes ot check in. A huge group of conference delegates was checking in ahead of me and only two people were serving at the counter - surely they knew in advance these people were coming. By the way check out was not much faster even though I checked out around 10:30am. I hate to think what it must be like at peak times!

The rooms are certainly tired. Like another reviewer, my safe did not work, and the shower seemed to alternate between hot and cold water. Breakfast was a crazy rush of people with a relatively poor choice given the price. WiFi costs 10USD per day in your room and bottled water 4USD.

I only ordered room service and to be honest the food as not too bad but there were isues. I ordered Italian salad and got Caprese. My minestrone was luke warm and the pizza a little soggy.

My experience of the staff was not as bad as some reviewers. The guy ordering me a taxi was the same one I recall from 3-4 years ago and he was always friendly and helpful. Front desk staff, when oyu finally got to them, were reasonably helpful too.

Based on this whole experience though this will be my last visit to Camino Real unless they can really up their game and renovate the whole place to its former standards.

Room Tip: Get an interior room all others are noisy
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Most of the hotel front desk agents act like robots, they don't care about their guests, From the time I arrived to the hotel, everything was really bad, I wasn't allowed to check-in 20 minutes early due to hotel regulations, in addition they didn't honor my online reservation including original price, bed size, room location,etc. I was forced to move to another floor, they changed my room twice and I didn't get the king bed requested. The staff at the club level didn't resolve the problems, they are young kids with no hotel or work experience.I was forced to wait again almost an hour before I was move to another room. as a result I missed a business meeting due to this situation.
I tried to contact the hotel management several times by phone and in person but i was told that no manager was on duty that afternoon. Finally, I was able to locate a senior staff in the lobby area and I complained to her about the whole situation. I just got a weak ans simple "I'm sorry" as a response from that manager that day. The whole front desk staff don't care about the guests needs, I strongly suggest to book your reservations in other hotels with better customer service in the area, Sadly, The Camino Real Hotel Polanco is going down, they overchange you all the time, bad internet connection, dirty pool, mediocre food and terrible customes service. In conclusion, a very dissapointed experience for our travel group, as a result our company canceled all our business at this place. Stay out of this terrible place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank WashingtonDCRobert
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This place has an old mexico feel and nice large rooms. The showers are amazing and so are the beds.
I like the hotel staff hospitality and friendliness.
Well located, it is easy to go anywhere.

Food is good, portions are huge!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2011

When you asked for a taxi they charged you more than the double. From toluca Airport to Camino Real Polenco with Caminante taxi we paid 510 pesos and from Camino real to Toluca airport 1,3000. Also, each time we asked for a taxi they charged 70 pesos more in Mexico.

Room Tip: If you decide to take a tour to Bellini's restaurant and mariaques avoid the dinner. It was terr...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Stayed here for conference inside the hotel. The hotel seemed dated as we stepped into the lobby. The check-in and service in general was very friendly and efficient. The bellmen and concierges were very nice and helped us with restaurants and getting tickets for a local soccer game. Our room was nice enough, but also can use a bit of an update. The conference space is nice, especially with the open air common space outside. They need to change their elevators though. They are very small and not enough for the amount of convention space. They are also used by service staff, which does not bother me at all, but it makes it so much more difficult to find space.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The price is very cheap for the GREAT things this hotel has to offer...
The rooms are very nice, good space and the bed is delicious.
The pool and the gardens are relaxing, clean and nice... The restaurants are delicious. Also, it has a great location... You can walk to the shops or dinner places... You will safe in there too. It is true that it needs painting, but still looking very posh and modern... I was going to give 5 stars except for the fact that the shower has a bad design and all the bathroom will get wet.... :-/ One more thing... the employees are very friendly and helpful. I LOVED my stay there and will go back next year !!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Spacious and nicely furnished, excelent service
Good choice of restaurants