“plenty of downside” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #107 of 307 Hotels in Mexico City
Oxford, United Kingdom
“plenty of downside”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Hotels within walking distance of Mexico City (Benito Juarez) airport are pricey and we chose the Camino Real - where I'd stayed before a couple of times - for an overnight stop prior to getting an early morning flight out. We arrived at 2.45 pm after a long ride up from Veracruz, and had to waiting half an hour the in teeming lobby (along with a lot of other people) to get our room (booked weeks before). The room was OK, the exercise room was good. But apart from the generally run-down look, especially in the lobby, we encountered two hassles. First, we had dinner in la Huerta, the less-upmarket restaurant (not unlike a VIPs or Wings, in appearance and menu, which is no bad recommendation); the service was excruciatingy slow, and not because the place was full (it was about 30% full); it almost seemed that the waiters expected everyone (in our section) to opt for the buffet, so waiter-service was a unnecessary luxury. When the food came, my beer was warmer than my food (chicken and veg). Second hassle: we had left valuables in the safe in our room (money, credit cards, passports and two laptops), using the code we always use. I checked it when we locked and it worked. About 10pm, about to turn in for an early night, we decided to open the safe, thus to save time in the morning. It wouldn't open. Three sets of the 9 lights remained blank. After many tries, we contacted the frost desk and a man came to investigate. He fiddled around for some time and left, promising to be back in '2-3 minutes' (I might add we are fluent in Spanish, so what happened was not the result of linguistic glitches). When he had not returned in 25 minute we called again and, eventually, he returned. More fiddling and several phone calls. By now, the hassle had lasted an hour and we were beginning to wonder what to do if the safe wouldn't open (since we couldn't fly out without its contents). Finally, after about 90 minutes, a more competent young lady arrived and, after further fiddling, got it to work. Her explanation - that entering the wrong code several times could cause it to seize up - made no sense, since we had not entered the wrong code. So, an hour and half late we got to bed. If we had left the opening of the safe to the morning, we would missed our flight. Conclusion: the Camino Real is convenient and a bit cheaper than the competition (Hilton and Sheraton); but it ain't great and avoid La Huerta and the room safe!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
New Philadelphia, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We had an unexpected stay at Camino on Feb 24th. The check in went very smooth. The lobby area is very large and appealing. There are several locations to eat in the hotel. It is attached to the airport and makes a great place to stay and get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

The location is amazing, just a short walk from Terminal 1 by bridge. The bridge is also conveniently located on the side of Terminal 1 where the airport train goes to Terminal 2, so it's convenient for that terminal also. Friendly staff, efficient service, good food, reasonable price. But the public areas, carpets, furniture are looking in need of renovation. It was clean and quiet, bedding was comfortable. Several English t.v. channels including CNN. The wifi in the room was not free, but was fast. Nice shampoos and amenities in the bathroom. Convenience store shops nearby inside the airport terminal, I believe some are open 24 hours. You have to ask for a minibar key at check in.

I arrived as a distressed passenger due to Avianca flights being typically late, and at 10 pm, there was quite a long line for checkin, and I expect they are full many nights. There is a Hilton Hotel directly inside Terminal 1, which looked more modern but I didn't get to see the inside. It looked like there was also a hotel inside Terminal 2 (Aeromexico, Delta, Lan), but I also didn't go inside that.

Even at the last minute, the price I paid was reasonable for the convenience and overall quality. There is also a bus shuttle which is free, that goes to Terminal 2, which is a bit more convenient with luggage than taking the free Airport train.

If you're between flights for a day, it's not a bad place to stay, as you can go into Mexico City by taxi, not too far away, but you probably won't want to make the trek more than the one day in one day. No frequent flyer mileage credit with any program other than Aeromexico.

Room Tip: Some rooms have nice view of the airport; if not, the views are pretty bad.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank pattayainsider
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Camino Real in the Mexico City airport on 2 separate nights - once on the way to Costa Rica, and once on the way back (layovers).

Because I have seen way too many movies I had a very strange idea of what to expect with this hotel and the airport itself. I am glad to report that I was very wrong in both aspects.

First off - the hotel is located just off of Terminal 1 at Gate (Sala) B which is pretty much near the end of the airport. As soon as you get through customs just go out into the main area (and behold the huge amount of airport police with bright orange hats and not a single person hassling you) and hang a left. Eventually make your way to the upper level and just keep on walking. Through the windows you will eventually see the huge Camino Real looming just across the street. Take the bright covered walkway over to the hotel and there you are.

I had our confirmation #'s handy but giving my last name was good enough. Signing in took less than a minute and we were on our way. The lobby of the hotel is pretty nice and the hotel has a comforting feel to it. The carpets and the elevators and the hallways could use a bit of sprucing up but the rooms themselves were perfect - very clean, super soft beds, large pristine bathrooms - I was nicely surprised considering how some the reviews weren't all that positive. Mind you, on one of the TV channels in the hotel rooms there is this non-stop loop of various Camino Real hotels - and a bunch of them look amazing......quite luxurious in fact so if someone frequented these 5-star Camino Reals and then stayed at this airport one I could see them being a little bummed - but I never have so I wasn't!

Anyways, my wife and I ate at one of their restaurants - I don't recall the name of it but it was a little bit of a walk away from the lobby/bar area and resembled a cafeteria - food was pricey and gross. Follow other reviewers advice and just eat at places in the terminal (they have 2 'wings' restaurants 50 feet apart which I found kind of funny). There are a bunch of choices.

So other than the worn carpets/walls and the unsavoury restaurant book your overnight at the Camino Real rather than the Hilton, it's totally worth it. Also note that there are a ton of other hotels just a few minutes outside of the airport grounds (Camino Real and Hilton are essentially part of the airport). I believe a few of the nearby hotels offer free shuttle service.

If I ever pass through Mexico City airport again and have to stay overnight this will be the place - $130 well spent.

Room Tip: The hotel is huge so if you don't like walking ask for a room closer to the elevators.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KenRichMun
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Huge elegant lobby, beautiful rooms, very comfortable beds, great bathroom, good price. Minus that there is no free wifi. Hotel easily accessible through a special glassed in bridge from the airport ie very safe! Much better and cheaper than the Hilton (where I also stayed).

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We have been there only for one night. The staff was friendly. The location is excellent if you have an early morning flight.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Merida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

This is your best choise if you have to stayed for some reason in the airport, not a Camino real to my standarts but never the less a good hotel

• Stayed August 2011