1,148 results
All reviewsother guestsgarden roomhouse dogwine hourmexican specialtyplace to staythe penthousecondesa neighborhoodmain buildingevery morningevery eveninginteresting peoplechurroshome away from homebreakfast and happy hourb bsother travelers
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Although I only spent 2 nights here, it was wonderful. As a single, I took the treehouse. Small but very very charming. Where to start? Food, great! Company better. Location and ease of transportation very convenient. When again in DF, I'll be at the Red Tree house.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Cecelia H
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The Red Tree House is simply the very best bed and breakfast in which I have ever stayed, and I have stayed in dozens. This review is way overdue as I stayed there two years ago now. I am one of those TA members who read and value everyone else's reviews but rarely take the time to write myself. But the Red Tree House is just the best. Greg and Jorge (and Jorge's mom who cooks fabulous breakfasts) are the best hosts imaginable. They make you feel welcome, they help you plan your days -- or not -- depending on what you want, and every single one of their recommendations were spot on. I traveled first with my husband, and then my mom came to join me and my husband returned to California. My mom is more of an American big hotel wherever she travels kind of gal, so we stayed at the Sheraton for a few days, but I had had such a good time at the Red Tree House that I ended up booking back with Greg and Jorge for the last part of our stay, so I was able to stay in more than one room.

The houses themselves are exquisite -- very modern, clean and up to date but with homey, Mexican accents that banish any thought of sterility. The beds are great -- really comfortable and warm. The bathrooms are super modern and incredibly clean. You feel like you are in your own little world when you are in your room, but then you can walk out into the courtyard and you are in a lush wonderful garden. It is surprisingly quiet in the house and the courtyard -- which can be important after a bustling day in Mexico City. I cannot think of a single negative -- it is all just so perfect. And fun!

The main house has free computers for guests to use, an inviting living room to hang out in and Greg and Jorge will even get your laundry done for you if you need. The breakfasts alone are worth the trip -- Jorge's mom makes the most incredible traditional Mexican breakfasts, so good that you really only need two meals a day. And they are full of guidebooks and restaurant recommendations -- and ones tailored to our unique situation that satisfied me, who wanted traditional Mexican cuisine, my mom, not an adventurous eater, and my husband, who wants gluten and sugar free food. And they found places that worked for all of us. The neighborhood is a welcome relief from the more touristy and more dense areas of town. It is lovely to walk around in, and the public transport is really close by, just a few blocks away. So is the hop-on, hop-off bus stop if you want that.

While we do not have another trip planned to Mexico City -- we had a great time, but the air pollution is a turn-off, it is back on my list, just so I can stay at the Red Tree House again.

Now my consience is clear and I can go back to reading the reviews from others.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank sfhill
Reviewed February 28, 2012

The RTH is fabulous. My partner and I stayed here with my parents. The hosts were wonderful. The rooms are very comfortable. THe breakfasts are delicious. THey have wine many evenings during time to get to meet other guests. I would definately return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank karpjf
Reviewed February 27, 2012

What more can I add to the hundreds of glowing reviews of the Red Tree House? This was our first trip to Mexico City. Our flight arrived late at night but someone was waiting to carry our bags and escort us to our room. The Lafayette Suite is spacious, beautifully decorated (as is the entire house and garden), and was beyond our expectations.
The folks who run Red Tree House (Victor, Jorge, Ernesto, and Craig) were all so enthusiastic and helpful, so informative and sharing in their knowledge of the city that I'm convinced staying elsewhere would have been an altogether different and less positive experience. In short they are all wonderful hosts.
Mexico City has over 20 million people and is spread out in all directions but the Red Tree House is conveniently located close to subway and buses in the pleasant district of Condesa. In general we didn't take taxis (though they are priced reasonably) because I am now convinced that one of the best ways to experience this grand city is by walking or taking public transit as much as possible.
Whether it's getting your new SIM card from Telcel (222 Reforma in the mall upstairs) or you're hungry for tacos el pastor nearby, (El Califa) or if you're feeling more adventurous chiles relenos (Grande Gus-ask Ernesto) the folks at Red Tree House are always there to help. And if this is your first trip to Mexico and you really want it to be rewarding by all means learn a bit of Spanish. It allowed us to explore more of the city without the fear and confusion that can sometimes occur when one is not understood. As well there are many good books and blogs about the city and novels and films that are set in Mexico City that certainly enriched our trip.
We only left the city for half a day to see the Pyramids and hired Victor who not only drove us there and back but was able to answer all our questions whether they were about crime, food, upcoming elections, the people who live on the outskirts of the city, even Mexican Cinema. Did I leave out anything? Oh yes, the breakfasts are delicious and will keep you going until long past lunch.
This is really a beautiful and restful place to come back to after a long day of sightseeing.
More like home.
Hope to see you all again soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelling_with_kids
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was our second time staying at the Red Tree House. It is in the upscale La Condesa neighborhood. It is a short walk to the metro which gets you almost anywhere in the city. The neighborhood restaurants are great and you can count on Jorge and the staff to give great restaurant recommendations. The rooms are small but adequate. Most rooms face a lovely courtyard, a great place to relax after a hectic day of sightseeing. The breakfasts are varied and always delicious and wine is served most evenings allowing guests to mingle and share travel tips. We truly enjoyed our stay and hope to return again next year.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple