“Best experience with a B&B I've EVER had!”
Review of The Red Tree House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mexico City
The Red Tree House
Ranked #1 of 170 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2017

It’s no wonder this place keeps getting the #1 spot for B&Bs in Mexico City. Their website claims it’s like staying with friends, and it most certainly rang true with my experience. From the moment I stepped into the house, I felt the warm and friendly energy wash over me. There are so many amazing things to say about this place that I’m going to break it down by section for you!

HAPPY HOUR:
I arrived to The Red Tree House around 8 pm after a 14 hour day of travel and was exhausted. I was greeted by Victor, one of the amazing staff members who took my bags and suggested I relax in the living room with the other guests over a glass of wine. Before I knew it, I was sipping a glass of red wine by the fire, getting to know staff members and other guests from all over the world. I learned that happy hour was a nightly ritual at The Red Tree House from 6-8pm (which often turned into 9 pm!) where guests can get to know one another and unwind after a fun day of exploring. Since I am the type of person that likes to explore all day and keep it quiet at night, this was the most perfect nightly activity upon arriving “home” each evening.

THE DECOR:
Craig, one of the owners is a lighting designer and all-around creative, and his impeccable taste was consistent throughout the house. Think beautiful, bold & creative local artwork, warm lighting, comfy furniture, and a fireplace in each of the living rooms which creates the coziest atmosphere to relax in. The B&B also boasts a private courtyard that is home to an abundance of fruit trees, greenery, fairy lights, and fountains. It’s the perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine on a clear night or a homemade breakfast on a sunny morning.

BREAKFAST:
Speaking of the breakfast...I heard that they served a nice breakfast, but was not prepared for how delicious it was going to be! Not only did they offer coffee, tea, fresh squeezed orange juice, local pastries & bread, cereal, yogurt and fresh fruit, they ALSO provided a main dish on top of that. The main entree was a traditional Mexican dish that was different each morning. This nor the happy hour is extra charge - it’s all part of the Red Tree House experience!

MY ROOM:
I stayed in the Lafayette Suite and was seriously blown away. The room was on the third floor with a private entrance, kitchen (with mini fridge, small stove top, glassware, etc), dining area, and living room, with the bedroom, small terrace, and bathroom on the other side. The terrace had a view of the courtyard and was surrounded by trees & greenery. I kept the shades open so I could be woken up by the natural sunlight coming through the balcony windows and it was a beautiful way to wake up each morning! The room was super spacious and there was even filtered water stocked in the room each and every day of my stay.

LOCATION:
The Red Tree House is located in Condessa, a super safe and welcoming neighborhood of Mexico City. I walked around by myself after dark multiple times and never felt unsafe in any capacity. It is full of parks and trees, European-esque sidewalk cafes, and lots of people jogging, biking, and walking their dogs. Although this neighborhood suffered a lot of damage from the recent devastating earthquake, it remains a beautiful place with friendly residents that is the still the perfect place to stay while visiting this city.

THE STAFF:
Craig, Alejandro, Pepe, Victor (just to name a few) were simply excellent hosts and provided incredible service and hospitality throughout my visit. I simply couldn’t have felt more welcome or at home. They are such generous people and are always going above and beyond to create the best experience possible for their guests.

OVERALL:
All I can say is 3 nights was simply not enough time. I really can’t imagine a better stay and for that reason, I will return to this B&B over and over again. If you’re looking for a warm & relaxing place to call home for a few days (hopefully longer!) with an ace staff located in a beautiful and safe neighborhood of Mexico City, this is your place.

Room Tip: Loved the rooms with access to the courtyard!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,099)

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit to Mexico, a special trip we had been planning for a long time. The reviews encouraged us to choose the Red House, but no review could have prepared us for what happened: on the first morning of our trip we enjoyed breakfast and went out to explore central Mexico City. Three hours later the 7.1 Richter Scale earthquake changed everything - except the Red Tree House staff's care for their guests. We were all scared, with little or no information as the internet was down. It turned out that Condesa, the area where the hotel is, was amongst the worst affected parts of the city. We heard constant sirens, saw helicopters overhead and watched as the emergency services and local volunteers set about the dreadful task of searching for survivors. The Red Tree House checked that all the guests were accounted for and sought to reassure us, offering refreshments and later produced food and drink which was very much appreciated, given that all the local bars and restaurants were shut.
The hotel management and staff, led by Victor, succeeded in keeping everyone calm in very difficult circumstances. We were truly blessed to have been staying there, and will certainly return to enjoy the delicious range of Mexican breakfast dishes and to enjoy a beer in the charming courtyard garden....but without the drama next time, we hope.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Simon M
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Our home wway from home! This place always feels like family. No chrome and glass hotels ever again. Quaint Condesa neighborhood with architecturally beautiful homes. Seventeen spacious rooms/suites, some at garden level. No pool - who uses one in Mexico City? Very attentive staff. 24 hour staff. Great buffet breakfast. Nightly Happy Hour 6 to 8. Easy Uber transportation everywhere. Very safe neighborhood!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2017

The Red Tree House is a very special place, and if you are in Mexico City you must stay there. Not only is it simply stunning the 5 star service and atmosphere is incredible. Its in the perfect location of Condesa, which is a charming, walkable neighborhood filled with leafy green streets, restaurants, boutique shops and stunning architecture. We had a special stay because we walked in off the street during a trouble time with nowhere to go and no reservation. Victor, the Manager went above and beyond to welcome us, and treated us like royalty. Victor and all the staff really care and are genuinely charming and lovely people and all manage to make you feel special. You will feel like family once you visit the Red Tree House and you will want to go back again and again! Not to mention the great breakfast and the fun happy hour, you will meet lovely people, both guests and staff. Truly a special place and I would give it 6 stars if I could. Cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank toni488
Reviewed 20 September 2017

We stayed here this August and were very impressed. The service is equal to or better than any 5 Star hotel. The common facilities are beautifully decorated and are a fantastic place to meet interesting people from around the world. We met many wonderful people and had some great conversations. Breakfast was home made by a Mexican lady and delicious every morning. The staff, Jorge, Carlos and Victor continually go above and beyond for every guest. Its like having your own personal concierge. Even though I would love to keep it as my secret I would definitely recommend The Red Tree House,

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

I'm so happy we booked here. It really is a lovely b&b in probably the best area in Mexico City. The area of La Condesa reminded me of the West Village a bit, great restaurants, pretty streets and lots of access to parks. I wish we had a few more days here just to explore the area.

The staff here are great. Helpful and go over the top for you. The breakfast and drinks (wine and beer) at happy hour are included in the price. The breakfast is always delicious - selection of bread, fruit, juice and a hot plate each day.

They are have a hotel dog, Romeo. Perfect for us dog lovers who need a vacation pup.

For transportation, getting an Uber from the airport was around $10 each way. Within the city, Uber is a great way to get around or the metro. The train is 5 pesos to get anywhere, and they arrived every 4-5 minutes.

Our only issue was with the plumbing and wifi. We had a few instances where the water would turn off, or go completely cold. Mostly in the AM when people we're starting their day. Also there was a tub in the room, but the faucet didn't really turn on - was just a slow drip of cold water. The wifi was terrible. If you need to do work, bring a hot spot. I unfortunately had to work a bit, and wasn't able to send emails with attachments without the help of a hot spot. But that said, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thecarmv
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Very special small inn (28 rooms) with incredibly helpful staff who went out of their way to introduce themselves and at the evening happy hour, to introduce guests. Breakfasts in the patio were leisurely and varied with optional different local hot meals offered along with cereals and breads. Coffee was particularly good. One evening when we came in from a full day of sightseeing our hosts wanted to be sure we connected to a stranded woman from Houston (hurricane flooding) who had parents in San Miguel, where we were traveling the next day. As a result we shared our ride with her. Final comment--the furnishings in the common areas showed real care and taste. Several rooms where we shared drinks and company were warm and inviting. Try to get a room overlooking the patio. That said, we were not able to score a room over the patio and still would give the place very high marks.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple