“Excellent food like the year before”

Restaurante Catedral
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurante Catedral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 588 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We returned back to the Restaurant Catedral to dine in the nice courtyard next to the fountain. The menu with the reinterpreted recipes from the rich cuisine of Oaxaca. That may not to be everyones goat, personally I, who returns to Oaxaca every year, thinks is great. My friend had a chicken in the famous almond sauce with rice. I tasted the perfect prepared tuna in a spice crust with mushrooms and special pasta colored with chilis in a light Asian souce. With a great creamy soup with zucchini and zucchini flowers before we had to share a wonderful dessert. This was a magic of a foam of the flor de cacao with an ice cream from Mamey, which is a tree fruit and a rosted crepe. The service very attentive and helpful, the toilets very clean and nice decorated. We were very satisfied. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,392)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

One of the best meals we had in Oaxaca, which has many great restaurants! Beautiful setting in both rooms [yes we ate their twice] friendly professional service, and easy for reservations. Great location yet quiet oasis inside. Food selection is expansive adn innovative with several Oaxacan specialities. Prices very reasonable and fair as was wine prices.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wonderful service and excellent food. I really enjoyed the tamale and the soup with blossoms was so so good. Easily was one of my favorite places to eat in Oaxaca. The cathedral cocktail was terrific as well. Very reasonably priced for what you get and great ambiance.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My brother and I had dinner here during Dias de los Muertos celebrations and were really pleased with everything about this restaurant.
The staff works like a well oiled machine to notice and take care of the guests, whether it’s “their” table or not. The food was fantastic! I had the filet mignon with pasilla chili sauce with a hint of cinnamon. It was visually beautiful, sitting in the sauce with a little circle of roasted green pepper (not sure what kind of a pepper, certainly not bell!) on top and a small thin fresh red chile standing up on top. The steak was cooked to perfection, but that sauce is something ethereal, to my taste anyway. On the plate was also a tasty tamale filled with beans and other deliciousness. The roasted vegetable salad was also very good.
My brother had the roast suckling pig entree and said it was scrumptious too. The chocolate dessert with chocolate ice cream (or sorbet?) hit all the best notes in the dessert category.
They have a great menu, extensive wine list and wonderful mezcal.
I highly recommend this restaurant and will return when in Oaxaca!

Reviewed November 7, 2018 via mobile

We wanted to taste some mexican food, especially mole negro. We Got much more!

From start to end, The service was so exellent and The waiter was observant and kind! A guitarist played silently in The backgound, most of The meal....

We started with The mushroom soup. It was so delicate! Then We Got a selection of local specialities, and ended with a good cup of coffee and sorbet icecream ..... 6 different kinds! A great meal. We Can really recommend this restaurant!!! Try The soup!