“Treated like princes” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Cid de Leon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Casa Cid de Leon
Ranked #51 of 111 Hotels in Oaxaca
Amsterdam
“Treated like princes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2008

My wife and I stayed a week in Casa Cid de Leon and loved it. We planned to stay only for a day or two because of the rather high price (for our budget), but we stayed much longer because the staff and the location were very convincing.
Breakfast on the rooftop terrace was very nice every day with home cooking (ask for the huevos a la mexicana) and pleasant service.
The owner is a poet and a very warm person. She has created a very welcoming atmosphere and her staff is very committed to make sure you are well pampered, informed, safe and go to the right restaurants and galleries in town. The beds were nice and soft. The decoration will not be to everbody's liking. Maybe a bit over the top, but we thought it went well with the whole atmosphere.
We had to rush back to Holland because a family member passed away. In these difficult circumstances the staff was most helpful in finding plane tickets during christmas time, brought us to the airport, created solutions. Extraordinary. It was like leaving old friends behind when we left.
On the down side, the bath rooms could be renovated and there was some noise from the street, but only shortly during rush hour. No real problem (I am sensitive to noise at night).
Do not expect your standard large 5 star hotel, but a small place in the center of town, luxurious with a lot of personal attention and with its own soul. I think some of the negative reviews are based on false expectations of some kind of Hilton atmosphere.
I have strongly recommended this place to my friends and will go back if I make it back to Oaxaca (ojala).

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FromAmsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2008

I am always looking for hotels that gives you the sense of HOME, maybe because I dont like big chane hotels. So I found this 4 rooms boutique hotel in the heart of historic UNESCO down town Oaxaca, and I only can tell you that they made me feel "better than my home" From my frist contact to the hotel I felt the warm in the voice of the front desk clerk, the wellcome as soon as I arrived, my room (my god it was a Suite) the "Bella Epoca" all painted in a very warm and light green, the high end decoration colonial style, the details in every corner, the excellent amenities, flesh flowers, air conditioning (the shower was even greater) many many lights that gives the impression of being at the real "The Belle Epoque". I was very surprised that it was not noisy at all as they put three different doors in the three different balconies with three french doors, that faces the street; even you see three candel lights in the three spaces of the "room". I loved the decor of the towles with laces and flowers. Breakfast is served in a very well thought terrace at the top of the house with a wonderful sight of as soon as the lady saw me, she came smiling with a basket of sweet bread a cup of hot Chocolate, which is the specialty in Oaxaca (you can even go to the mill and tell them how you want your chocalte to be done!) and a glass of fresh, super fresh orange juice. The first day I had for breakfast "tacos Oaxaqueños" which is: maiz tortilla filled with mexican eggs (eggs, tomate, onion and green pepper) and they put on top a sauce made with black beens sauce; "chorizo" and cream on top, Oh my God that was super deliciuos! the second morning I had "Quesadillas" maiz tortilla with chees and Mole negro another specialty of Oaxaca.

When I came back from a long day city tour, they did the turn over of the bed and the lights where very light so that gives you the impression of being wellcome to your room ready to nice sleep,

The next day I met Lety the owner, besides a great hostess, she is a poet, and one could talk for hours with her. Lety and her husband make a great copple that help in any sense at their guests, he even took us to the airport at night.

If you want to see the real Oaxaca town and people, and if you get to choose the biggest suites in down-town Oaxaca, I am sure you choose right, Casa Cid de Leon, Radally Marzo 27, 2008

• Liked — Warm service, excellent suite, excellent view
  • Disliked — few days
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Radally
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2008

Casa Cid de Leon's website poetically promises charm, comfort, and luxury for the usual price of a five-star hotel. The pictures of the rooms (containing different furniture from the actual furniture) are gorgeous. One would not expect to be confronted with a dilapidated entryway, complete with the wealthy family's leftover furniture from the 1980s whose white leather seats were in need of repair. (This had not been pictured on the website).

The rooms followed suit with tasteless decoration, all for the cost of $350 a night. None of the luxuries promised in Frommer's and the website were provided: no complimentary fruit basket with wine, no hairdryer in the bathroom, no bathrobe.

One would assume that for this price he would receive hot water in the showers, water pressure, toiletries, a working television and a working safe. My family and I received none of the above. Breakfasts were the same every day and became rather unappetizing after a while.

Buyer beware: If you want a two-star hotel experience for the price of five, this is your place. Otherwise, seek alternate accomodations.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank travelingcircusNyc
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2008

This hotel was a sad disappointment. If it was advertised honestly and if the rates were appropriate it could have been described as a fantastic find. However, it is billed as a luxury hotel in guidebooks and has a gorgeous but misleading website.

My family felt bad disliking the hotel and tried really hard to see its charm. The staff was lovely and accommodating, but they could not make up for the hotels appearance or lack of amenities. All of this could have been ignored if the hotel hadn't promised itself to be something that it was not.

The front lobby is cluttered and unwelcoming, and the hotel is so poorly insulated between floors that you can hear every noise that any other guest makes. The rooms are filled with really tacky decorations including baby dolls, stuffed animals and needlepoint. Simple things like reading lights by the beds would have been really nice. And the hotel, which is a beautiful structure and elegant wooden beams, has cheap fluorescent bulbs installed between these beams which flickers and flashes in the rooms.

The showers were awful, there was only one bar of soap and no other toiletries. The towels were charmingly tied with ribbon, which was cute for the first day but became cloyingly annoying each subsequent day as you had to go through a ritual of untying each and every towel. There were no robes as promised or hairdryer in each room.

Oddly enough the hotel had huge flatscreen tvs... it was too bad that it took my family 6 days to learn how to use the cable box for one TV because it was too cryptic to understand, and the other tv only got 4 very grainy channels. The safe in the room didn't work, and the staff could do nothing to fix it. And the hotel routinely forgot to lock our doors after cleaning the room - a great combination with an unoperable safe.

All of these quirks would be fine if that is what one was expecting and paying for. However, to bill oneself as a 5 star hotel and charge rates that were significantly higher than other hotels in the area does not seem fair. This hotels needs some major upgrades to live up to its reputation.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the physical hotel
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tourist128
boston, massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2008

This hotel did not live up to its Frommers review, its web site presentation, or its five star billing in a Oaxaca tourist guide book. The lobby shared with a travel agency was not an auspicious introduction. Our televisions did not work nor did our room safe. We consistently had problems with the showers - too hot, too cold, or no water pressure. There were no toiletries, only 2 bars of soap per bathroom and these not refreshed for a week. What was described as charm was really clutter and kitsch. There was inadequate closet and storage space for a long visit, only 7 clothes hangers for 4 people. The complimentary wine bottle and fruit basket was not there at arrival and the fruit basket only arrived after we complained about the water problems. When we tried to move out we were told that we had a contract for the full period - and we hesitated to move because the hotel had our credit card imprint. For $350 US per night for four people we expected more and better.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank latina10
akron,ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2007

I really enjoyed my stay here. It was my first trip to the interior of Mexico. I am a woman travelling alone and I did not know what to expect, having heard so many uncomplimentary stories of Mexico (not of Oaxaca, but of Mexico in general). My fears were quickly dispelled. I was picked up at the airport by Mr. Augustin and taken to the hotel, which is centrally located at the heart of Oaxaca. Each room of the hotel is uniquely and artistically decorated, an entertainment in itself! I found everyone to be extremely honest. Several times, I could have been taken advantage of, but was not, including forgetting my jewelry and change on the table. When I returned, everything was still there! The large beds are luxurious with lots of pillows. It was very clean and breakfast was wonderful. A young lady named Erica was very patient and accomodating with any questions I had. You can walk to most places from the hotel. Next door is a fabulous restaurant, where I enjoyed having a waiter make an authentic ceasar salad in front of me! The wines were better than Europe! It was a wonderful stay and I absolutely adored Oaxaca and its people.

• Liked — Homey feeling
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank azraf
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2007

Stayed here for a week. Beautiful suite that accomodated three adults (one person on a sofa bed that was very comfortable). Nicest staff that is the most accomodating. Room service available. Breakfast every morning on the roof terrace that included fresh fruit, eggs, hot chocolate, etc. We didn't speak much Spanish but one of the staff spoke English and answered all our questions. Perfect location between Santa Domingo and the Zocola.

Stayed December 2006