All reviewssanto domingocity at nightvarious levelsbusy streetthe open air restaurantrooftop terraceintimate hotelbottom floorfew blocksoaxaca cityprices are very reasonablesmall bathroomon site restaurantpay cashbeautiful hotelcentral courtyardcomfortable rooms
Reviewed March 26, 2016

My husband and I stayed for two weeks and were pleasantly surprised. for the value, we got what we paid for. A clean, small room, attended to daily two of the hardest working people at the hotel. TThe cook and waiter from the cafe downstairs, also clean the rooms. They work a very long day to make us comfortable. Room was adequate. Bed, table, upright chair....no couch. Our internet worked beautifully so we never used the TV. toilet and shower in one small room, sink is in the bedroom with no counter space. Room 20, upstairs,had a lovely balcony to view the plantings in the courtyard and the city skyline. Hotel is quiet except in early mornings when they start setting up the cafe and moving things around to clean, along with numerous lovely church bells, you will wake early, or bring earplugs. The two cafes downstairs are just great. Coffee is excellent along with fruit plates and entomadas, their menu is small but covers most for breakfast. Wine and dinner is downstairs near the entrance. Almost a French feeling, the owner, chef, likes to vary the menu. Very nice when you do not want to leave the hotel. We would definitely come back here as the price is just right. If it goes up, we would look elsewhere for a possibly more comfortable room..

Room Tip: Upstairs room 20 or more to the back.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank citybybeach
Reviewed February 19, 2016

We were in Room number 19. At the easternmost end of the hotel, so as far away from the busy, noisy street of Tinoco & Palacios as possible. Prices are negotiable.... The bedroom was small, but adequate; the bathroom was miniscule, but blessed with instant, inexhaustible hot water. The room was cold at night in January. The wardrobe was large. We had 2 chairs, 1 large desk, 3 smaller tables. The wood beams in the ceiling , art work, and colonial style throughout the hotel make it an attractive place. The restaurant served tasty dishes in record time. The rooftop terrace has superb views of the town and surrounding mountains, but bottles were left on the tables for several days.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the street as possible.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Professional-Pilgrim
Reviewed February 3, 2016

The property is beautiful, in what it seems to be an old house. The whole place, room and toilet were clean and in good condition. No complains about that. Price was fair enough, even in a long weekend. It is three blocks from Santo Domingo plaza and church so the location is pretty good. Staff were friendly enough. I would have given a higher rating if not for two factors: the hotel does not have a parking/parking arrangements and the wi-fi was not working during my whole stay. Even though the hotel was nice, these two issues were really an inconvenience.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank akorea
Reviewed January 24, 2016

Hello,

I read about Casa del Sotano on Tripadvisor, other sites and in guide books and was impressed by the positive reviews. However, my experience there was extremely negative and feel it is important to share it with prospective guests.

My husband and I, my daughter and son-in-law, stayed there from December 29th to January 4th. The following describes what occurred:

I was robbed of $1,020 out of the "safe" in our room. Each day, we left the keys at the desk, as we do in Europe. I had paid our bill for both rooms in USD on 12/30. On Saturday the 2nd I counted what was left in my envelope of cash and removed $300 to change to pesos. $1,300 was remaining; I made note of this amount on the outside of the envelope. Sunday night, when I removed it in preparation for our departure on Monday morning the 4th, I found only $280 remaining. I reported this to the desk person, who of course had no response, and the next morning called the owner of the hotel, Omar Garcia, and relayed the events to him. He was insistent that I was mistaken, had given the money to my husband, to my daughter, didn't remember where I'd put it, defended his staff, “No one would do such a thing". He was completely and utterly not only unsympathetic, but denied my reality! (All of this was in Spanish.) After a half hour, I gave up.

Subsequently, I wrote Sr. Garcia and asked him to compensate me with 12 nights of occupancy; he has not responded.

I hope you will take my experience into account when you recommend the Sotano. I will never stay there again and my many friends in Oaxaca who know of my loss will advise their friends also to avoid this hotel.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
14  Thank christinenielson1
Reviewed January 1, 2016

I have stayed in Oaxaca several times and found Hotel Casa del Sotano to be a really great place. The location is perfect for walking to all the activities. The street it is on is actually a busy street, but I found the room to be very quiet and safe. It is a bit dark arriving on the street at night, but with all the traffic and plenty of light on the side streets leading to the hotel it still felt like a safe walk in the evenings. The hotel itself is really adorable. The common area is lovely with plants and water features and places to sit and meet other people. The patio above has an amazing view (although I would love to see a few umbrellas for shade). I stayed in two different rooms (as I came back through after traveling on the coast). One was on the third floor and one the second. Both were really clean, roomy and comfortable. The balconies looked over the lovely lower patio and out to the distant hills.

My only reason I put 4 stars is that all requests I made were met, but never with a lot of warmth. I found the main person in the office to be just barely tolerant of the guests. I was thankful I am fluent in Spanish as she seemed even more annoyed by the person who checked in after me who did not.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo