Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico
US$26
US$45
US$43
Priceline
Hotel Meson del Mar(Veracruz)(Great Value!)
US$30
US$26
  • Restaurant
Posada Coatepec(Veracruz)
US$60
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This hotel is a clear example of how the Holiday Inn chain is becoming in several regions of Latin America.

Hotel staff try to do their best, but the lack of training is sometimes evident. Even getting a smile from them is not so common. But the worst thing comes for stays of more than 1 or 2 nights. Here is a list of my experiences in this hotel, that make it the worst (yes, worst) stay I have ever had in a hotel:

I was in Veracruz for business purposes, together with four more people from our company. I took advantage of this trip and invited my wife, her grandmother, and my daughter (a 1 year and 1 month baby).

First, a description of what I found at this hotel:

1. Room was not cleaned daily. We discovered that when the baby accidentally spilled some water on the floor. The amount of dirt that was formed as a slurry was impressing. We requested hotel staff to clean the room daily, but observed that they just went to the hotel to put the thing in their place and make the beds. We needed to ask them to mop the place if we wanted. Otherwise, they just would not do it.

2. The amount of dirt that was accumulated in the walls of the bathroom was impressing, and a clear proof of insufficient cleaning of this part of the room.

3. Some days, we had to request toiletry items (soap, etc.), as when arriving at night we would find that the hotel staff would not leave it in our room.

4. The air conditioning was an old-style central system. When turning it on, you could feel the dirt coming out of the duct.

5. The internal side of the roof of the room was infested by mold (a sometimes toxic fungus that causes severe respiratory diseases). I discovered that on the morning I was leaving the hotel. Otherwise, would have moved immediately.

6. The swimming pool was full of leaves. Evidently, had not been cleaned in a while, and stayed as that for all our stay.

Photographs and videos of this hotel are available upon request.

In total, we were seven adults and one infant. Five adults were traveling from northern Mexico, me and my family from central Mexico. All of us are quite used to eating out of home (which in Mexico would mean we are used to have bugs in our system). But what happened in this hotel was out of proportion:

We all used to have breakfast every day a the hotel (was included in rate). All of us got sick of samonella and amoebas after leaving the hotel. The only meal we all shared was breakfast. It is clear that we got them at the hotel. We had fever, diarrhea, vomiting, muscular pain as sympthoms.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank JFAR1980
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Having stayed here four or five times, I do hope to return. My stays in Veracruz have included four hotels in the center of town and several more in the beach area. As far as I am concerned, this is the best in the center, so the only choice is whether you want to stay in the center and travel to the beach or if you want to stay at the beaches and travel to the center.

This building is part of the history of Mexico, as are the surrounding buildings and areas. The staff is very friendly and accommodating in every way, and the rooms are clean. If you require a bathtub rather than just a shower, ask for it. As is usually the case in Mexico, you will have bottled water and no washcloth, so prepare if you need more water or a washcloth. The hotel provides a coffee maker but not enough water to fill it, for example.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lalo_de_Mexico
Reviewed 3 February 2009

It appears that this hotel has had a troubled past with poor investment and bad management but given what I had read and been told about they have turned this place around full circle. Rooms are very clean indeed, comfortable beds, plenty of TV channels for rainy evenings, attentive staff and even free business center for internet. Breakfast was well stocked, varied and coffee was good. I think if you are expecting 5 stars or something else you have plenty to choose from but for the budget conscious person who expects value for money and good location you cannot go wrong. Having worked in the trade for years this is a 3 star hotel with 3 star amenities with rather beautiful architecture built to take the brunt of what i would imagine any hurricane. 2 foot thick walls, seems pretty secure, parking, peaceful courtyard, nice pool (given the space), friendly staff and pretty convenient overall. well worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2008

This hotel was dirty and we had an ant infestation. They did nothing about it, not even a faint appology. We were going to stay for 7 days and left after the second when nothing was done to resolve the problems. This is the worst Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Starviagera
Reviewed 1 March 2008

In spite of the publication over the net showing a nice and attractive place to stay-it was our worst experience during our two- week trip to the south of Mexico.
We did book two rooms for us and friends couple , large time in advance.
as we arrived at about 1900 we were sent to two rooms in the basement floor.
Both of the rooms were stinking of a very heavy smell of mold .Bell boy's answer to our question how and why is that , was that "we had several cold days , and that is the reason for the smell"(It was said in Spanish - mother language of the writer)
We complained at the reception , mentioning that rooms were booked in advance , and wondering how can they -being part of an international hotel enterprise- sell rooms that are even heathly dangerous - and charging for taht more than 108 US dollars.
Manager in duty "offered" us to moove to an other hotel which belong to the same Holiday Inn chain , but they forgot to mention that that hotel is located far out of town, in Boca Del Rio, more than a long journey , consudering that a Carnaval festival took place thi day in town , and added that we will have to add the diference in price , since this other hotel is more expensive.
After a long journey we had that day , and beeing time already after 20.00 I insisted to get other rooms , which somehow I undrstood they have , but because of their reasons - without willing to give them to us.
As a suddeen - two rooms were "borned" , and we went to second floor to see them. Nothing to compare to the "inquisition" rooms we started with.Rooms 210 and 211- were good smeling and quite ventilated., compared with rooms 105 and 110 given to us at the very begining.
One and a half hours of our time as tourists were wasted in arguments , just for obvious atention and service that had to be given from the very begining.
Happy End? No , absolutely NO!
Due to very small bathroom (211) and to a funy STEP between the shower place and the sink , my wife almost felt (she did not due to unsuficient room)and while trying to hold herself she broke her right hand right little finger (We did not complain at reception since we were sure that another day of our trip will be lost , in adition to angry and sadness), but till today she feals pain , but situation is improoving.
To describe all the rest like Lobby , swimming pool, restaurant etc- is relatively not important after having such a bad experience
with the basics of an International Chain Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cobi49