“Nice Westin but SPG members be ware!”

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun
Ranked #9 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This Westin is located on the beach and is central to mostly everything. Only draw back is as a gold SPG member the latest check out they will give you is 12pm I was told normal check out is 10am. I have never checked out of a hotel at 10am in my whole life! My flight leaves at 6pm so I am kinda of disappointed about the whole check out! Be ware staff
is a little unfriendly as well! Omar the hotel manager was not accommodating either as I mentioned To him I was gold spg member and he said that doesn't matter at this property! Nice answer from the hotel manager. Other than that this is a very nice property they just need to know how to accommodate their guest a little better!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Trading2000
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for future reservation requests.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We checked in late so it went pretty smooth, no lines. We were not impressed by the lobby but looking through to the pools and fountains made up for it. Our room was on the 5th floor oceanview with a great view of the gorgeous aqua water and the huge multilevel infinity pool. The suite was well laid out with small kitchen area and large sitting/bedroom space. The bath was well done with jacuzzi plus double tiled shower.
Now for the "wanting" part of this trip. The icemaker was not working and it took many calls, my husband going down to the restaurant for ice and two visits from maintenance. Finally, it worked but the small refrigerator was very loud all the time. Second day, remember we checked in late coming from Le Blanc so we did not need a hair dryer until now. No hair dryer so we called down and the gentleman who answered "when did you check in? you did not use a hair dryer last night?" REALLY!!! What type of training did this employee receive? Never got the hair dryer until after we left the room with damp hair. WHY? Also, did I mention the microwave never worked.
Final "wanting", I washed towels in the inroom washer and dryer unit. Unfortunately, I left the clean ones on the bed and when we returned from the beach, they were gone. No wash clothes in the room. Again we called twice and no one came. My husband asked housekeeping in the hallway but they never replaced. I saw a floor manager and asked her and she said "later, okay?". Never happened! That afternoon, I finally got 2 from a cart in the hall. Very poor service! Newer hotel that should better train service staff and fully inspect all suites prior to check-in.

Room Tip: Highest floors in Bluidings 7,8 or 9.
5  Thank snjtravel

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Room was clean and bath was nice. Equipped with kitchen. Store in hotel doesn't open until 7 a.m. No outdoor bar except swim up in pool. The free workout facilty was nice, better get there before 7. There is a shopping Mall across the street and another one 5 minute walk.

Room Tip: We were in building 6 top floor. need to be on 4th or above for best view.
Reviewed 2 April 2012

SUMMARY: Large rooms with kitchen and great view of the gulf from our balcony. Great location - within walking distance to a lot of places and the bus is very easy to hop on and off. We had some issues with the room that were very minor as well as wireless internet, but the good far outweighed the bad and we will definitely be returning.

DETAILS: This was our first trip to Cancun and having had a ton of people "warn" us about kidnappings, beheadings, and other drug related violence we went with a little apprehension. But none of that is here - a little research will show you that all of the Mexican violence in near the border. Also, don't listen to all those people that say, "I heard someone got kidnapped in Cancun..." this is all hearsay. Ask them where they heard this and it will be from their hairdresser, friend at work, etc., it's never a credible source. This is a tourist mecca, besides the "normal" perils of traveling, this was very safe.

Having said that, we read people's postings of people's experiences and we tried to keep to them. Like others have said, as soon as you clear immigration and customs, you walk out to a section of well dressed people offering to help you find your shuttle, but it's a ploy to get you to a timeshare meeting. My wife was duped into following one of these gentlemen and I was duped into signing up for one (because I wanted a two for one deal at the Xcaret theme park - which we got). More on this later. After getting out of there and finding our shuttle, we finally made it to the hotel. The lobby is beautiful and unlike others, our check-in was very easy. But, we did arrive a bit early (about 1pm) and our room wasn't ready until 3pm, so we went to the beach for a bit.

The ground are very impressive. There are several pools that were never too crowded and though there is construction going on, it never got in the way. The beach is big and the sand was awesome as was the water. We spent a lot of time on the beach and pools and even though the hotel was at full capacity, we never felt that there were too many people there.

Our room was a mixed bag. The size was big (one bedroom with a sleeper sofa) and had a kitchen, washer/dryer (which was very convenient) and a balcony that looked over the gulf. The way the rooms are arranged, I think most have a view of the water, but the higher the rooms the better the view. We were on the third floor, so our view was OK. But what made it not so good was that we were in the section where construction was happening. I suspect that this was the reason why our windows - that should give us a great view, were marred by dirt and debris so it was hard to see outside. Speaking of issues with the room, we had several minor problems:
- cleaning was apparently done in haste (e.g. food stains on the dining room table, makeup on the sink, crumbs in the carpet, etc.)
- drawers in the dressers came off the hinges
- drain in the shower was clogged, so our first shower caused a mini-flood in the bathroom
- toilet flushers "stuck"
- wireless internet was terrible, but the wired internet in the rooms worked great
None of these were deal breakers and when we asked the hotel to fix the shower, it was done immediately. Nevertheless, these "little" things made us feel like we got a lemon for a room and asked to be switched, but because of full capacity, they couldn't do it. Given the opinion of many others, it appears that our experience was not the norm.

While we were in Cancun, we went to the timeshare presentation at what will be the Hard Rock Hotel. Brunch was good and we did get the two for one at Xcaret, which was nice... but a waste of 2 hours. After that, the kids (7 and 10 y.o) and my wife went to the beach while I made the 2 hour excursion to Walmart. It's really easy to get there (take the bus that costs less than $1) and the cab ride back with all your stuff is $15. The cabs are sitting outside the exit, so there's no problem finding them. The Walmart didn't have some food staples we were looking for (e.g. only instant coffee, no ground coffee) so in hindsight I wonder if going to the supermarket would have been better.

The rest of our vacation was basically on the beach, pool or at Xcaret Eco park (see separate review). We ate lunch a few times poolside and it was OK - nothing great, but nothing terrible. For dinner, we went to the mall across the street and ate at Johnny Rockets and Planet Hollywood (my kids are not very adventurous eaters) and one night we went to Harry's Steak and Seafood, which was good.

All in all, the worst complaint about our vacation was that it was too short. We will definitely be coming back to Cancun, though we may try another one of the hundreds of resorts in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank dadofgirliegirls
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you fo your review, nothing makes us feel better than knowing our guests left the property feeling better than when thay arrived. Please come back to visit us soon here at your second home in the Mexican Caribbean

Reviewed 2 April 2012

This was my second year at the Westin. This time it was just my husband and I. Last year I brought my teenage girls. We had an amazing time. The place is immaculate! We had a one bedroom villa which was spacious, clean and totally met our needs. Its wonderful to have a washer dryer in each unit.

We hung out at the beach. The chairs with the unbrellas were wonderful and we had all the sun/shade we wanted each day. We so enjoyed having our lunch at the bar in the "quiet pool". Jorge the bartender was friendly and made us feel welcome each day. Don't miss the fish tacos-yummy!

All of the staff is very nice. I have no complaints about the resort. I love it and would stay here each and every year.

The beach is gorgeous, the pools are warm, and their were more improvements from last year. It looked like more planned activities although we didn't participate. We played tennis and I used the gym daily. The gym is a bit small and gets crowded early in the week and early in the morning.

The bed is heavenly and our room had a gorgeous view of the ocean. The weather was the best-couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

It makes us so happy to receive these kind of comments, thank you so much for choosing Westin for your vacation. We would love to host you again soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I just spent a wonderful relaxing week at this Westin resort. We have stayed at 2 other Westin's and they have all been top notch. I use a wheelchair. The entire resort was very accessible, including the pool and beach. The staff was friendly and always willing to assist us. The pool, beach, and rooms were very clean. The food was good. It's a perfect location with shopping and restaurants right across the street. I would recommend this hotel and plan on visiting again.

Room Tip: My room was on the 7th floor. The view was beautiful but I felt it was a little high for my comfort...
1  Thank Michele I

DearGuest, Thank you for your kind review of our resort. We greatly appreciate your comments about our Team and will be sure to recognize them. We hope you have found a new "home away from home" and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!!

Reviewed 31 March 2012

My family and I just came back from Spring Break at the Luganamar. My kids are 13, 15, 17 and 21. the location is perfect and right where you want to be. You can walk to many great places to eat.

We felt incredibly safe and enjoyed every minute of our trip. Regarding the other reviewers comment about things being safe in the room - we always lock our valuables in a safe - common sense! But we had expensive cameras, iPhones and iPods at the pool and everything was safe and we never worried about a thing.

Prices at the bar and restaurant are Westin prices - don't expect a bargain but it's a Westin and you should expect things to be a bit pricey. You can always bring things poolside from your room! There is a convenience store in the resort and a liquor store down the block.

All rooms are villas so you have mini kitchens in each room. Perfect for leftovers are buying food for snacks or meals. We had 2 rooms and both were clean and had a perfect view of the pool and ocean. The staff at every place at the hotel were great. The poolside service was fast and accurate, lunch at the pool restaurant was a little slow - but we were in Mexico, enjoying the crystal blue water - so who cares!

Speaking of food - the meals at the poolside restaurant were so very good. I have to say that our food at the main hotel restaurant were subpar and we ate their only once as a result - my only complaint about the resort.

Yes - this is vacation ownership - and yes, they tried to set up a meeting to talk to us about ownership and enticed us with points or cash to spend on site - we said "no thanks" and our concierge was gracious with our response and nothing further was said about anything.

We had a wonderful vacation and it's perfect for singles, families and couples. The beach was wonderful and the water was magnificent and gorgeous!

We all enjoyed our stay - and even at 100% occupancy - we had no issues getting chairs poolside regardless of our time arriving at the pool. If you are deciding on this location or the Westin Regina - no comparison- this is the better resort and location!

Enjoy!