New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #13 of 110 Speciality Lodging in Cancun
Oslo, Norway
“Clean, spacious, good-value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

We paid 420 pesos for a huge room with a big bathroom, two beds, tv, AC and a fridge. The staff booked us a cab for the following morning to the airport, the price was good. Our room was quiet during the night (although we do sleep with earplugs).

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Sophie A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

We booked this hostel for our first night in Mexico. The only fault we can find is that we struggled to find it (walking from the bus station), using the instructions on the website - make sure you get the hostels number so you can call if you get lost!

I would say that the hostel is located in a fairly quiet area, about a 15min taxi ride to the beach and nightlife, but the area is lovely, and only 10 min walk from main bus station.

Fernando (manager?) was super helpful and friendly, and spoke excellen english.

The room was spacious, with double bed, private bathroom, air con, tv and a fridge for a very reasonable £10 a head.

We would definately recommend this hostel!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MissHannahJoy
Tucson, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

Haina is a decent place to stay considering its very close to shopping and a great little square with lots of bars and restaurants. There are buses running constantly that will take you everywhere, the beach was about 10 minutes away. However, the hostel itself is uncomfortable. It was so bloody hot in the room (I stayed in a dorm) only a certain amount of cerveza would guarantee a decent night's sleep. The continental breakfast was okay, but the toaster oven didn't work very well and the guest refrigerator was tiny. The lockers barely held my luggage (I'd been in Mexico for a month so had a bunch of stuff with me). The staff was friendly.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Chase C
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

We stayed at Hostel Haina for MEX$350 for a double with one double bed, private bath and air-con. The room was very clean and the location is excellent. Ask at the desk for the wireless clave. We had good connectivity in our room.

Downtown Cancun was a pleasant surprise. We enjoyed the plaza where children rent plastic electric cars and speed about. It took about 15 minutes and MEX$7 to Playa Chac Mool by city bus.

The hostel was a good value. We stayed (I think) in room 3. It is just under the breakfast room and was very noisy starting at 7AM when they set up breakfast. There was also lots of door-slamming and the walls are thin. Short of these very minor noise complaints, I was pleased with the value and service we received.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

I stayed there for 2 nights from november 25th 2008. Well, unlike the other reviews, my room was acutally clean. The people working there were acutally really nice... up until the point I got back from town and realised that someone had been through my stuff! You could really see it, as some folders I had were closed the wrong way... Of course, I had most of my pesos with me, but I had left some swiss francs and euros that were missing. When I told it to the reception they asked me... if I was shure I actually had this money!
Should you go there, just don't leave any value in the room!

• Liked — The TV, I guess...
  • Disliked — Stolen money
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank WendyTestaburger
Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2008

Before writing this short review, I need to admit that generally I am not picky. I don’t mind roughing it and typically search for good deals.
This hostel seemed to be a good deal especially considering that my stay in Cancun was really short – only one night.
On the good side – if you are looking for something in downtown – Haina may be the choice as it is situated just a block away from the main plaza. Also on the good side – the service is pretty good.

Well, then on the ‘not-so-good’ side - the hostel is dirty, damp, rooms are small and really austere (once again – I am not the person who frequently complains).

I ended up in there just by accident and will definitely avoid the place if I happen to venture to Cancun again.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — it was filthy
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MaciejZ
Barcelona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2008

The staff is very friendly but the room was not completely clean, for example we found some cigarette butts behind the door. Besides, the room dampness was too high.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Inspiracio