“McDonald's is better!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stopped here for a family dinner on our first day in Cancun. First of all, this restaurant didn't have air conditioning. We were going to keep walking but the host (tall bald guy) insisted he had turned it on and would cool down, it never did. We were the only people in the restaurant, that should have been a sign. We ordered our food and it came out in shifts (there was 15 of us). 5 people would get their food, then 10 minutes later someone else, etc. The food wasn't great at all, but I was very hungry, so I ate. My parents ordered a very expensive salad that was very small. They forgot to bring out my daughter's dinner. There are some creepy looking manaquins on their stage as well. After dinner, we paid the bill, which was very pricey and were followed out because the tip was too small. Oh, and during our family dinner, the host kept trying to give us deals on tours! Keep walking, McDonald's isn't that far!

3  Thank egp1974
There are newer reviews for Calenda Oaxaca

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Have been to Cancun many times over the past 20 years and this was the first time I ever noticed this restaurant so decided to give it a try. Loved everything . Great atmosphere, excellent service and fantastic food. My sis and I went twice. Looking forward to eating there again during my trip next month. But note that, at least at the time of my visit there, they didn't take credit cards.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Coming from California I have experienced plenty of good Mexican food. This place was the worst place we ate in Cancun and one of the worst restaurant decisions I have made. The food is bad and the prices are ridiculous.

First clue was the giant ad selling 5 coronas for $10 US. The bucket on the wall is clearly 12 ounce coronas and the wording is for "Coronas". What showed up were 5 small coronitas. Our wives had $8 glasses of wine that tasted like it came out of a box.

The food was no better. An order of quesadillas were no better than two small tortillas with cheese for $8. The burrito was hardly worth eating and the mole was far from good.

If you haven't figured it out yet, don't eat here.

1  Thank jamesb847
Reviewed 13 June 2011

For some reason the night we went they had the restaurant interior closed; the only table available were outside in the front. The food was okay but nothing special; ditto for the service and the drinks.

Reviewed 12 June 2011

My wife and I had an excellent experience, here. The food was great and the service was outstanding. Our waiter, Gusto, was very accommodating and, not only provided samples of the different mole sauces, but also arranged my meal to have the meat in two of the mole sauces, since I couldn't decide. The fact that they had several different mole sauces, to begin with, was above the grade.
I should add that my wife had been having difficulty with the meals at some of the other restaurants in the area (though I see them rated higher on the tripadvisor list). Her meal at Calenda Oaxaca was the first, in a couple of days, that she really enjoyed.
It may have helped that we went here at a slower time of the day/afternoon. With that said, there was a patron who was returning from the night before. She was, also, recommending the restaurant.