“Great time had by the whole family”

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Ranked #24 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
vancouver
“Great time had by the whole family”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We just got back after staying 14 days at Club Med Cancun. This was my first time staying at a Club Med and I can't praise it highly enough. We've stayed in more luxurious properties but haven't had nearly as much fun.

I think the best part of this resort has to be the GO's. They work so hard entertaining all day long - from activities during the day to the shows in the evening. The Mini Club staff (especially Rachel, Lloyd and Allyn) made sure my little guy was happy as could be. He didn't want to leave! The Car Wash staff was great too (Sol and Hannah). Eduardo and Zani (management) always seemed to be around to chat with guests, making sure their stay was enjoyable. Other notable GO's were Natalie, Javi, Luis and Rafael.

For a family of 4, the connecting rooms were ideal. It was nice having the extra space and a 2nd washroom. They weren't the most luxurious accommodations, but considering you're rarely in your room anyway, nice enough. Cleaning staff kept everything very clean. Just wish they would mop the balconies more often. They got very slippery after spraying sunscreen out there.

Food was great. Lots of variety and changing menus. Lunch at Las Cazuelas was a nice way to spend part of your afternoon. Great view and loved the chopped salad. The bar at the main lounge was a great spot to have a drink at the end of the day. The bartenders were great and Carlos was especially kind to my son when ordering his many smoothies. My only complaint would be that sometimes they were a bit short staffed during busy times.

We had a great time and really miss our favorite GO's. Hopefully we'll see them when we return next year.

5 Thank northyvr
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear northyvr,
Thank you for writing about your stay with us! Our goal is to create a vacation where every guest feels like part of the family and it sounds like you took full advantage of it! We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the food and accommodations and, of course, our wonderful staff. We can’t wait to have you back again soon!

Your Club Med Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We travelled to Cancun for spring break. It was the best spring break vacation we have had. All of the GO's were fantastic with the children and with us. Allyn even spent his own personal time working out in the gym with my son. The circus and sports teams were fantastic. The snorkelling crew were concerned with both GM safety and the conservation of the the reef.

My day always started with Edie delivering a grande cappucino to my beach chair. He worked very hard to ensure my days on the beach were enjoyable. He remembered all of the guests preferences for drinks and made a point of ensuring all of the guests needs were met.

See you next year.

1 Thank wendy g
Dear wendy g,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! We are thrilled to hear that your stay was the best vacation you’ve had. Our staff is the best in the world and we’re glad you took notice! We can’t wait to see you again next year!

Dallas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I'll start by saying that I am going to be a bit biased in this review. When traveling to a resort I try to find a lot of different things, but the following are the most important to me and this Club Med excelled in all of these categories:

Location: Try to beat it...I dare you. Beach was excellent. Always a breeze, cold drinks plentiful and available, not much in the way of being bothered by locals trying to sell their trinkets...and the sand was soft as powdered sugar.

Ambiance: This resort felt different than other all inclusive resorts that we have traveled to (and we've been to a lot of them). The best way to describe it is that CM feels much more like a great big beach club rather than a new resort. No blaring music at the pool...no tan line contests...etc... but there is always an activity going on. Laid back, fun, safe...some of the descriptions that come to mind.

Food: Great if you like French fare (which I do). Note that some in our party were a little put off that the lunch restaurant was across property (we could have done the buffet for lunch, which is by the pool, but preferred to make the journey to the restaurant near Jade building). I personally did not mind...we usually made an afternoon of having lunch then sailing or doing the sea kayaks. Breakfast was wonderful with lots of fresh fruit, pastries, made to order dishes and healthy options... Dinner was great too. Our party did the spec restaurants once each and they were fine...the buffet was the best (in my opinion)...food leaned towards French in preparation...which I liked. There were always chix nuggets and pizza for the kids...but I did have my 8 yo eating seared tuna, ox tail and octopus...

Drink: Plenty...my wife made a comment that the wine was not great, but it didn't keep her from consuming it. Mixed drinks, frozen drinks, sodas, etc were all just fine.

Coffee: I did not know what to expect going in...as I had not seen any comments in other reviews...but the coffee is awesome. Every bar has a proper espresso machine (other big resorts have a central coffee bar which is a pain if you want a blast of esp and are across the property)...no such problem here.

Access & Safety: CM is the closest property to the Cancun airport...so you are in luck. The CM txfr went off without a hitch and was very reasonable $$. I'd recommend it. Security was all over the place. No worries with folks who are not suppose to be there getting in your way. We kept a leash on our kids the first few days, but eased up after figuring out that the security is always around. Kudos to CM for making that a priority.

Last...and BEST... the GO program: like other's who have posted, I can't really put into proper terms how much the GO's add to the CM experience. There are well over 100 young people whose career is to make sure that you have a great time...they are here from all over the world...they spend time with you and your family, get to know you...share their expertise and experiences...just to make sure that you have a great vacation. Then you leave and they do it all over again. I envy their sense of purpose...but not their work hours (something like 5 hrs per night for rest). These folks put on shows, dances, take care of the kiddos and show the grown ups how to do things that are FUN. Well done...especially shout out to Zorro and the guys from the sailing shop, Natalie (tennis instr) who stayed up to do the limbo with my son, all the guys on the beach and Ana who showed us around the property and was a smiling face each morning on property.

Summary: Great people make CM Yucatan a destination that is hard to beat.

3 Thank bfcdallas
Dear bfcdallas,
Thank you for writing such a detailed review of your stay with us! We are thrilled to hear that our resort stood out among all that you’ve previously visited. Our staff works hard to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable and safe vacation. We’re glad that you loved them as much as we do and we can’t wait for you to visit us again soon!

canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Staff at this resort were so hospitable and warm. Upon arrival, my family (2 kids, ages 7 and 10) and my husband immediately felt welcomed. All activities, trapeze, water skiing, snorkelling (the resort is located next to a nature conservancy area-perfect for snorkelling around the reef) kayaking, catamaran, kids club, windsurfing, and exercises classes are included in the package and there is plenty of equipment to go around. We were there over Spring Break, for a week starting March 17th and the hotel though small in comparison to its neighbours never felt crowded, nor did we ever have to wait much (more than five minutes) to do any activity. The food was very good by all-inclusive standards. There was always plenty of choices to satisfy everyone in our group, from the adventurous, to the health conscious to the picky-eater. And they don't skimp on the alcohol in the drinks!
The staff are phenomenal and go above and beyond the call of duty- JC took the time to teach my husband how to sail the catamaran (with out capsizing it). My daughter was encouraged by the trapeze staff to try it and though she was reluctant at first and somewhat scared when she did, they were so good at making her feel at ease and encouraging her, so that she quickly gained confidence and wanted to do it every day. My son loved being a part of the "Car Wash". The size of this club is perfect to give preteens the freedom they crave and we felt very comfortable leaving our son to roam with out a GO chaperone and enjoy the activities with his new found group of friends. I personally, loved the water aerobics classes- so much fun!
We visited a Mayan Temple one day and found the tour, coordinated by Club Med to be excellent. There was an additional cost associated with the tour but it was well worth it.
The rooms were clean and very thoughtfully and practically outfitted.
We will definitely be returning to this resort and next time we will be staying much longer. Thanks to the Club Med Cancun team for making our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms on the 3rd floor of the 3 building are your best location, quiet with a lovely vie...
1 Thank marcelloup
Dear marcelloup,
Thank you for sharing your Club Med memories with us! We’re glad that your daughter decided to try our trapeze and that your son made some great new friends. It is excellent to hear that you enjoyed our water activities and, of course, our delicious food. We hope you will return again very soon!

Savannah
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed in the Jade 5 Trident section and it was worth it! We were traveling with a 6 year old and an 81 year old and we all had a great time. Magali, Eduardo, Francisco, Lydisse, and Claudi - I cannot say enough wonderful things about these people. They made our stay so relaxing.

Rooms: Very nice - we had a view of the ocean so we had wonderful breezes.

Food was excellent - we ate at the buffet for every meal and had a lovely view of the lagoon. The buffet has different themes every night so the food is varied and delicious!

Our daughter really enjoyed Kids Club when she went (we spent a lot of family time in the pool at Jade). Snorkeling right off the beach was a real treat - barracuda, gar, stingrays, and more. I just wish we'd had more time!

Club Med offers so much to do and it really has the best location of all Cancun hotels.
Wonderful trip - a real highlight was the excursion we took to Chichen Itza and Ek Balam. We booked through Ancila Tours, the excursion company recommended by Club Med, and we were not disappointed! Anja took such good care of us and she was extremely knowledgeable.

We cannot wait to return for a longer stay.

Room Tip: 5 Trident space is the way to go! Amazing service and quieter pool area. Highly recommend ocean si...
1 Thank N W
Dear N W,
Thank you for the kind words! It is great to hear that everyone in your family of all ages was satisfied with their vacation. We’re pleased that you loved our food, Kids Club, and, of course, our wonderful staff. We can’t wait to have you back again soon!

Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 27 March 2012

First time here. Soooo pleasantly surprised. Easy to get to from BWI (direct flight in 3ish hours). Friendly from the minute we got there. Traveled with our family - 2 boys, ages 4 and 10. Delicious food all day long if you want. Kids club from all ages above 4, divided into appropriate aged groups, provided activities for the kids all day, if they chose to go (and give parents free time). AMAZING STAFF at the kids club!!! Full of energy and always amazingly kind and helpful. Fitness classes at the gym, at the beach, in the pool, etc. Went snorkeling, on a catamaran lesson (so that I could take it out myself), kayaking...all included! Could have taken an excursion somewhere, but didn't. Shows nightly for kids and later for adults. Could go on, but suffice it to say, this was one of the best family vacations we've ever had...and we go somewhere every year/twice a year!!!

Room Tip: Would DEFINITELY suggest getting a club two bedroom if traveling with kids, as the rooms are connect...
1 Thank bugsrose
Dear bugsrose,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! We take pride in our child care and are thrilled that your boys enjoyed our activities. Our staff is the best in the world and we’re glad you noticed! We can’t wait for your family to have another great vacation with us soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We just returned from Club Med Cancun for our second consecutive March Spring Break vacation. My husband, my 2 years and I had such a great time that we are in the process of reserving another week there over New Years. This is a fabulous resort with an amazing kids club led by Allyn. We literally had to beg our 4.5 and 6.5 year old girls to take a break from the mini club and spend a few hours with us each day. Our much appreciation and thanks specifically go to Mariana, Rachel, Adrianna, Gabby, Rodrigo, and of course our friend Lloyd. It's an amazing group in the mini club who all truly love and give your children the vacation of a lifetime. Around the village, we also adore Eden in the lights area and can't say enough kind words about Juan and the sailing team and hats off the dining / bar team for keeping the GOs happy (best coffee and the sushi chef is incredible). The club draws a great group of people, too. Our only "complaint" is that we now have Gold Status at Club Med and were not able to receive the "room upgrade" perk and actually had to switch rooms 3x during our visit which was annoying and would love the workout classes to vary a bit more day to day. We did love the live music entertainment almost every night. Thanks too all and kudos to Eduardo for running such a special place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second and third floors facing the lagoon have the best light and are quiet.
1 Thank Karumba2030
Dear Karumba2030,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation memories with us! We are thrilled that your children enjoyed our Mini Club because our staff works hard to keep them entertained! It sounds like you truly became part of the Club Med family and we can’t wait to have you back again soon!