“We loved our first Club Med experience!!”

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Ranked #24 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“We loved our first Club Med experience!!”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

It’s hard to find words to describe how incredible our family vacation was—we chose Club Med because we hoped to find a place that would make everyone happy. We have 4 kids—ages 18, 15, 12, and 9. We stayed there from March 24-31.

We all tried new activities—everyone (including the adults) LOVED the trapeze, sailing, kayaking, and snorkeling, and most of us enjoyed waterskiing (the 9-yr-old was too young). Our 9-yr-old took up windsurfing (Sam, the GO, was very patient and kind as he gave her lessons). My husband and the girls enjoyed the daily beach volleyball game, and although I didn’t participate, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the daily Zoomba class that took place in the common area right by the beach. We also loved watching all of the iguanas on the path to snorkeling/sailing. We spotted the famous Maximus each and every time, and he often performed for us with his head motion and warning sound.

The food was wonderful—a great variety, and truly something for everyone. Plenty of kid-friendly food, many vegetarian options, and always a choice for those of us that like be adventurous when trying new foods. We all love Mexican food, so it was a bonus that there was always an abundance of Mexican choices. We became spoiled with the selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, too. In addition to the main buffet, we tried both of the sit-down restaurants that require reservations. We weren’t all that impressed with the steak house, but we LOVED the fine dining Mexican restaurant (and we enjoyed lunch there after sailing, too). The lobster, the beef tenderloin, and the chicken fajitas were all outstanding. For lunch, the “make your own salad” was a favorite.

We had very low expectations for the accommodations, knowing that Club Med is not known for the rooms. We were pleasantly surprised. Although certainly not 5-star rooms, they were clean and cheerful with flat screen TV’s and very comfortable beds. They also had refrigerators, safes, and balconies. The bathroom situation was a little strange (toilet in a separate room from sink and shower), but not that big of a deal.

I have to say the thing that sets this all inclusive apart from others is the staff. From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed and happy. Club Med trains their staff to be completely focused on making the guests happy, and they are fabulous at what they do. As others have mentioned, the GO’s are phenomenal—we loved Rafael, Natalie, Luiz, MadMax, Sergio, Moses, Mafet, and the list goes on.

That said, even those not in the spotlight went above and beyond during our stay….the people that brought us drinks at the pool, the housekeeping staff, the servers in the restaurants….all amazing. One lifeguard made all the difference in our stay—Ciro was his name, and he guards the beach by the sailing and kayaking.

During a sail, my husband accidentally dropped our daughter’s (underwater) camera into the ocean—it fell out of his pocket as we were switching sides during a turn. We were a few days into the trip, so all of our photos were on it, including that morning’s snorkeling adventure, complete with underwater photos of our kids and the fish.
My husband kayaked out to search for the camera, but it was clearly a needle in a haystack. When he told the sailing/kayaking GO what had happened, the GO loaned him a snorkeling mask to try again. My husband went over to Ciro, the lifeguard, letting him know his intent to swim pretty far out to sea in search of the camera (so he wouldn’t worry as a lifeguard). Since there were no guests on the beach, Ciro immediately offered to help, and he joined my husband with a pair of goggles, diving repeatedly in search of our camera.
15 minutes later, Ciro surfaced holding our camera in his hand! It was unbelievable, but true. Had it not been for Ciro’s kind nature and genuine interest in helping, we would have lost our camera and our photos. Again, he’s not one of the GO’s that is always in the spotlight, and yet to us he will always be remembered as “Ciro, our hero.”

Suggestions for those traveling to the resort (things I wish I’d known):
1. Bring cash. We brought a minimal amount, figuring we could charge everything. We paid cash to get our daughters’ hair braided on the beach, and we went back to give Ciro some cash as a token of thanks—and we pretty much depleted our cash. On “Mexican Night,” many local vendors brought their crafts to the gathering area. We definitely would have supported their businesses and come home with reasonably priced, interesting souvenirs if we had the cash. We went to the cash machine in the reception area, and it was out of order. The front desk did not have cash, either.
2. Make reservations for the a la carte restaurants the day you arrive. We dined at both, but we were unable to get the days/times we’d have preferred. I’d skip the steak house altogether if we had it to do over, and I’d likely go to the Mexican restaurant twice.
3. Make sure you don’t miss the circus show (the one in the theater, not the one at the trapeze). I believe it is on Thursday nights (it was for us). We were amazed by the talent, and we knew all the people because they had been our trapeze instructors all week.
4. Bring conditioner. Unless you stay in Jade, the upscale part of the resort, they only provide shampoo, body wash, and body lotion. I had called ahead to make sure they had shampoo and conditioner in the rooms and was told they did. I’m guessing some of the resorts do, but Cancun does not if you stay in the regular rooms.

Some constructive feedback for the resort, if somebody from Club Med is reading this review:
a) Find a way to improve the internet. It was very patchy at best, and since there is a fee for this service, it seems only fair that it should work all the time.
b) Improve the checkout process—we emailed our boarding passes as instructed, but when we checked out they were not ready and waiting for us, as we were told they would be when I called from the room to confirm the email was received. At check out time, it was as if I’d never called. They had to locate the email (again), and we learned later (at the airport) that only 5 of the 6 boarding passes had been printed. It was disappointing to end with so much stress, as we were on a time crunch to depart.
c) Improve the service at the reservations-only restaurants. Guests go there for a special night, and poor service definitely takes away from the experience. We ended up canceling our dessert order at both places, because we had waited so long for everything and we did not want to spend any more time at the meal.

Despite the constructive feedback for the resort, we will remember our time at Club Med Cancun Yucatan as our best family vacation ever. Our only regret is that we eventually had to come home!

5 Thank caroleena5
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear caroleena5,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed recollection of your stay! We are excited to hear that your whole family enjoyed our various activities, including water sports, trapeze and Zumba. It is great that your vacation was satisfactory, particularly due to our staff because they work hard to create great memories! We’d also like to thank you for your tips to our future guests and your insights regarding the internet, checkout experience and service. Please know that we appreciate your comments, and we hope you will be back to have an even better family vacation!

Your Club Med Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Our third trip to Club Med Cancun was even better than our first two -- and we rated our first two as "Great".

Plus:
o Food: Better than when we were there six months ago -- and it was good then. Beef was consistently excellent -- in the main restaurant and in the La Pergola specialty restaurant. The main restaurant served ostrich one night and it was really superior. Bottom line: I gained five pounds in ten days.
o Weather: It was our first time for Cancun in March. Wow. Perfect. It rained one afternoon for about 3 hours. Just enough time to dance and play games in the bar. Low humidity and warm but not blistering hot temperatures.
o Entertainment: Highlight was "Flamenco Guitar" by the pool one night. It was comparable to Carlos Santana. Amazing. Mexican night and circus night -- both fun. It seemed to me there was more evening entertainment by the pool at cocktail hour than I remember. Nice.
o Maintenance: Lots of painting and fixing up evident while we were there.
o Management attention: I saw Chief of Village Eduardo every day talking with guests. I spoke with him a couple times and found him willing to listen to all complaints and compliments -- a really nice guy.

Minus
o Air conditioning in our room was not the best. If we raised the temperature, we had condensation problems -- to the extent that the floor became wet. If we turned the A/C to max then everything was fine and dry -- and cold. Big problem? No. (I should also note that relatives we traveled with also had problems with their A/C. Similarly -- not a major problem.)
o If you want to avoid children, don't travel to CM Cancun during March. The place was over-run with grade school and some high school age kids. For the most part this was no problem. (I should say that Canadian kids are well behaved; most Canadian schools seemed to be on spring break while we were there.) My recommendation to Club Med would be to designate certain rooms in the main restaurant for families and other rooms for adults only. Big problem? No.
o The surf was slightly up one afternoon -- say like a mild day at Huntington Beach -- and the life guards chased us out of the surf. I recognize their concern for safety and if you've never seen 3' waves before, you can get seriously thumped, but if you're willing to take the risk, you should be allowed to do it. Big problem? Hardly rates as a problem at all.

Other notes:
o Two boats were wrecked on the reefs: one a sailboat on the outer reef; another a power boat on the inner reef near the snorkeling area. Both were being salvaged while we were there. Interesting to watch.
o Environmental protection in the snorkeling area has increased - and properly so, but it's a bit of a pain. I was chased from the snorkeling area by the national park police for not having a life jacket on. The CM snorkeling people (good job, Francisco) require people to wash off sun screen (bad for the coral), wear fins (to keep people from walking on the reef), wear life jackets (to keep people from diving and touching coral). I found the restrictions irritating, but to maintain the beautiful reef, worthwhile. The purple fan coral clearly has benefited because there is more than six months ago. We saw more stingrays than we've seen previously. Good snorkeling.
o I enjoyed playing beach volleyball nearly every day. GOs (Rafael and Jona) did a good job of organizing it every afternoon.
o Windsurfing was fun though the wind most days was quite light. Equipment was a bit worn, but completely serviceable and safe.
o Catamaran sailing - good because of the light winds. The GOs were appropriately strict in enforcing the "20 minute" rule so that everyone got time on the water.
o "Beach Boys" were accommodating, as usual -- always ready to put up umbrellas for us if required.

All in all: can't wait to go back -- either earlier in March or in early April.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vashpapa
Dear Vashpapa,
Thank you for writing such an in depth review of your vacation with us! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our delicious meals and beautiful location. We’d also like to thank you for your insights regarding the air conditioning, children and lifeguards. We truly appreciate your comments and your loyalty to Club Med. We can’t wait to see you again next year!

Tampa, FL
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We had high expectations after reading all of the recent reviews, and we were delighted by this property. The activities and equipment were great (sailing, wind surfing, kayaking, water skiing, etc.) and our "delux" room was delightful. We had two adjoining rooms, so our kids (7 & 8.5) were in one room while my wife & I enjoyed the other, although we were rarely there. Our view over the lagoon and trapeze/circus area was excellent. We had been to their Punta Cana property two years ago; the only areas where the Cancun location didn't exceed it was for the food quality & choices, and for the layout & looks of the main pool. When we choose between these two again I'd definately select Cancun.
Notes to those interested in SCUBA or fishing excursions: SCUBA is a whole day trip for only two dives, and the fishing is about 80 minutes each way in a taxi to arrive at the boat. I was having plenty of fun on this pretty property with my family.

Dear WarmWeatherPlease013,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are pleased to hear that your experience at Club Med Cancun lived up to your high expectations. It is clear that you and your family enjoyed our various water sports and activities, as well as our accommodations. We hope to see you again very soon!

new york
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Bravo to Eduardo and the entire Cancun team for making our vacation one to remember! Eduardo is energetic, enthusiast, mucho charming and I felt like a family member in his "house" ! What a beautiful resort this is! The staff were so eager to please with their smiling faces! Sports were top notch and I have to say that Jona is the Zumba God! Food was fantastic! Sailing, kyacking and snorkeling were superb! The club was %100 occupied but you'd never know it! Plenty of chairs and space to unwind and relax! My 2 children had a blast! The shows were good, but what stood out was the circus show and the great talented young GO team who performed! I am looking forward to another family trip to CM Cancun! Thank you Eduardo and your entire team for making our vacation one that we will always remember! I felt truly at home with your hospitality! Shout out to Natalie, mad max, Juan Carlos, Anthony, Pierre, señora Martha, sabine, Sam, elie, the entire bar staff and again to Eduardo who runs this resort to perfection! Bravo Club Med!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank simbenz
Dear simbenz,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We are extremely proud of our staff, and glad to hear that your loved Eduardo and the others as much as we do. It’s clear that you took advantage of many of the awesome activities we have to offer like Zumba and snorkeling and of course, dining! We can’t wait to have you back again very soon!

Naperville, IL
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We went to Club Med Cancun for a family spring break for 10 days with 2 kids (11 and 7) in March 2012. This is our second Club Med trip having gone to Ixtapa 4 years ago. Both resorts are great, but I have to say that I liked Club Med Cancun better.

I guess you could go to a Club Med and just sit by the pool or on the beach, but you'd be missing out. This is an active beach vacation, it’s time to sail, snorkel, kayak, trapeze, tennis, waterski, wind surf - you name it. Kids can do most activities as well and also participate in the shows and other games if they want.

The best part about Club Med is the GO's. You never meet one who isn't happy, outgoing and ready to help you have a great vacation. We got to know quite a few and had some memorable lunch and dinners with a few of them. The overall service of this place is great - special thanks to Eddie on the beach who took care of us and somehow knew when I'd be waking up from my siesta and stealthy put a cold cervesa w/ lime on the chair next to me when I woke up – that’s service.

Our kids couldn't get enough of the kid's club and car wash. My daughter (almost 8), woke up each day saying she couldn't wait to go see her friends in the club. She made tons of friends and literally didn’t want to leave. My son (11) initially tried the car wash and wasn’t thrilled. He hung with us for a couple of days and tried again when the new group came in on Saturday. He too, wanted to spend all of his time there and made lots of friends. It got to the point where we'd have breakfast each morning as a family, then the kids would do their thing and we would have a little r&r playing tennis or waterskiing then we’d get back with them around 4 by the pool and kick back with the band for a bit before dinner.

The food here was great – (best mango I’ve ever had ) with lots of Mexican choices (which Ixtapa didn’t have) each day at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cancun also had a lot of French – influenced food as well. Kids food (pasta, burgers, pizza) is also there if your kids are fussy eaters. Vacation is a good time to try new things - mine tried and liked Frog Legs, Ostrich, Goose Liver, osso bucco, beef wellington and, as my daughter says, “Raw Cow” (Carpaccio). Breakfast and dinner at La Hacienda, lunch at Casuela’s – the specials at each were the best – and Sergio’s beef tacos at Casuela’s lunch were the best thing I ate at Club Med. I’d skip La Pergola for dinner – nothing special at all.

The location of Club Med Cancun is spectacular. The main beach is usually very calm and has turquoise waters and white sand beach. The resort is on a point and if you walk around to the other side, the beach is protected by a reef and very calm. This side is where most water sports (snorkeling, kayak, sail, windsurf) take place. There is also a lagoon on the back side of the resort – access is on one end of the resort for waterski – can’t say enough about the skiing – Cathy, Fox, Myles and Moses were all great. One thing to be aware of – there is quite a bit of European-style sunbathing on the beaches, made for good cultural teaching moment for the kids.

The grounds are ok, not as manicured as many resorts that we’ve been to. The rooms were also just ok – like a European 2-3 star hotel. We had a connecting family room with lagoon view in the Onice building (6000’s). The location of our building was great – right in the middle of the resort, but the condition of the room is not luxurious. We knew what to expect having stayed at Club Med before, but be aware that you will not get a luxury room with marble spa. In the end, we were in our rooms to sleep and to shower before dinner – we literally never spent any time in the room.

I’d highly recommend this resort to family and friends.

1 Thank 41club31
Dear 41club31,
Thank you for the kind words! We are pleased to hear that your family enjoyed both of your stays with Club Med, especially Cancun. It seems as though you truly took advantage of all the wonderful activities we have to offer, such as trapeze, water sports, tennis and more. We’re also thrilled that your kids couldn’t wait to be a part of the Kid’s Club because we love having them! We can’t wait to see you and your family again very soon!

Litchfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We just returned from a fabulous week at Club Med Cancun. It was our second year in a row and we were not disappointed. By far, this is the finest piece of property in Cancun with all of what a person could desire in a resort. This property is located at the very southern end of the Cancun strip and is extremely private. There is an expansive beach, a national park for snorkeling, and another beach area where breezes create a fine sailing and windsurfing environment. Then, the lagoon offers waterskiing, including a slalom course for early morning higher level skiers; and, the rest of the day two ski boats pull all levels of skiers, wakeboarders, wakeskaters.

Upon our arrival, circus GO, Sergio, greeted us and escorted us to our room. From then on, every time he saw us, he called us by name and greeted us warmly. Sergio seemed to be nonstop with the trapeze & circus, theater, and always with enthusiam. He was not only talented, but a pleasure.

The waterski GO's were terrific teachers and analyzers of technique - very patient and talented, fun and encouraging to all. Kudos to the waterski team: Fox, Cathy, Myles, Moises, and Luiz. They made everyone feel special and created a wonderful environment every single day - then, they were active all night in theater, crazy signs, and being very gracious hosts/hostesses. We were so impressed by their enthusiasm and talents. Thanks for making our time so memorable!!

Also, we had a great time at the sailing area where my husband spent time windsurfing & we sailed daily, participating in the regatta on Thursday. Allejandro and JC were especially helpful and always positive and seemed glad to see us.

At reception, Gloria was a delight. Anytime we had questions or issues, her smile and calm responses were comforting. She joined us for dinner a couple of evenings, and it was wonderful to get to know her.

Taking part in specific activities like waterskiing and sailing, gives a great chance to get to know other GM's and we had a terrific time meeting people from around the globe. Without a doubt, though, the whole experience is made so pleasurable because of the GO's. They are like Everready Batteries - going from sun-up to sun-down, and then more. No other resort can compete with the Club Med experience. We have been going to Club Meds for 20+ yrs.; and, we will certainly return to Cancun. It has it all! The only downside is that I need a vacation from my vacation! It was fabulous!

Thanks to Eduardo, Chief of the Village, who was very present and approachable. He has created a wonderful feel in the village. It was especially impressive on the gala evening when he honored the GO's, complete with a champagne fountain. It was touching.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Opalo building are very private, quiet and on the lagoon overlooking the water. It was...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear mbalbo,
Thank you for writing such a detailed review of your second stay with us! It sounds like you took full advantage of everything we have to offer, including trapeze, waterskiing and sailing. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed meeting our wonderful GO’s and staff. We appreciate your loyalty to Club Med and can’t wait for your next visit!

Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My family had a great time in Club Med Cancun. GO's Team are great and the Location is Perfect. I had been to my great Resorts but this is my favourite One. It's the Combination of Village and Five Star Feeling. Me and My wife used to walk inside the Resort from one Point to another Point late night and it was all safe. Security Guards were there all over the Place. Watching Star in the night was our favourite thing.

The rooms are really tremendous. The restaurant serves great food, the staff is top of the bill, and the beach is wonderfull. I used to have Grilled Grouper Fish, Guamole, Mashed Beans and My Rosa Wine Most of the Time :) They take good care of my Kids. My kid was only Two but he was known as Dancing baby..... I will highly recommend this place. You will love it.

Room Tip: Onice Building Location is Good, if you want Sea Face and ask them to be on Second Floor.
Dear cafe9,
Thank you for sharing your memories with us! We are thrilled to hear that you felt comfortable and safe during your vacation, and that you enjoyed our beautiful location. We hope that you will be back again soon to eat our delicious food and look at the stars!