“Sun Palace = Fabulous!”

Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Sun Palace = Fabulous!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Got back from our vacation at Sun Palace last night. Let's just say, we had a FABULOUS time! At check in, they didn't have any concierge level rooms available for upgrade, but since we were 2 couples, we were offered a presidential suite instead. It was beautiful! 3 balconies, 2 jacuzzis, 2 full bedrooms, living and dining area, and foyer....all with the same concierge level amenities. The food was unbelievable. Those who say it's "pretty good...for an all inclusive" must be eating at some amazing places because we were amazed at how good it was. Service was fantastic, as expected. The weather was a little cool for what we expected, but hey...better than the 3 degrees and 5" of snow they got here the day we left!!

I would say that if I had to complain about anything, it would be that the response "It's a Pleasure" that you hear from the staff is pretty canned. But I have to say...it's better than getting "Here's mud in your eye!" Also, the towel game around the pool was rather frustrating. We went down in the morning to find some chairs and found most of them were taken. There were 2 with folded towels on them (almost like the staff had put them there) so we didn't take them, and the people didn't come to use them until almost 3 PM that afternoon. I really think the resort (and all resorts) should frown and discourage this practice. It really should be first come first serve.

As with any vacation, the Sun offers as much or as little to do as anyone wants. If you want activity, you can find it. If all you want to do is lay by the beach or pool, no problems there either!

Room Tip: Definately worth upgrading to concierge level.
3 Thank lovecancun77
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
The first step to a fabulous vacation is in your heart.

These days, when we're pretty full (Thank God) and run into not so happy comments it is good to read such an upbeat mention as the one you posted.

And I ask myself: What is the difference between you and others if you came to this resort at the same time. I conclude: It has to be attitude. And attitude towards life. The half empty vs. half full....
This is a blessing. Don't ever lose it!

Thank you for your endearing comments and thank you for giving us the opportunity to partake in a good experience. We will look forward to seeing you soon.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,763)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Linn Creek, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The week of 2/07 thru 2/14 was a first time visit to the Sun Palace with friends from Missouri. We had been transfered to the Sun because of all the construction going on at our original destination of Playa Car. This caused a lot of confusion and we had to work thru this and it was time consumming. The Palce made up for this by awarding us an upgrade and extra points to use and we were able to make good on those.
The main reason I am writing this review is Mr. Pablo Winkler, the General Manager. We had the oportunity to meet him, by chance. He approched us at dinner the 2nd night we were there and spent a lengthy time just chatting with us. Every day after that he would walk by, during his normal rounds of the hotel, to say hello and talk with us. He was a very nice and jovial person that we enjoyed talking with.
The service thru out the complex was excellant. We can't wait till we can return. Hope Mr. Winkler is still there when we return. Mr. Heard, Mr. Kaiman, Mr. Suchman

Room Tip: Better to be high up.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Harold H
I miss you guys. I could use a little chat with you right now.

It is curious how patrons mention having met the manager as if it were something special. It really isn't.

On my side talking with my guests is a releif from the dayly grind. I could not live without the warm and refreshing words that you bestow on me. Your comment was akin to thanking a kid for the candy you just gave him.

I will look forward to your next visit and will receive you with open arms. In the meantime I thank you for your friendliness and enjoyable company.

Best regards to all of you,
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Sun Palace but found that the communication was very lacking.
1. The printed documents given to us said that non-motor water sports was across the street. It is not; it is only at Moon Palace.
2. Also the book in the room said that Catholic mass was on Saturday at 5pm at Moon Palace. We got there to find out that it has nor been on Saturday for 2 years, but on Sunday.
3. Making reservations for services, trips, etc.; we were told that the consierge in the lobby was the only one who could do it only to find out that there are other consierges that can do it and that spa reservations can also be made directly with the spa.

The resort credit of $1500 sounds good, but we could not use much of it without having to pay more money out of pocket. It would be good for first timers who could use it on all of the excursions.

We also found that thew decor was lacking. there were few plants, etc to warm up the atmosphere. The pool was often out of towels.

Having said all of that, the staff is excellent. The word "no" is not in their vocabulary. The food, also excellent.

3 Thank traveler10052
Thank you very much for your kind comments. As usual, my guests tell me which way to go and what to correct. You are not the exception.

I apologize for those issues that caused discomfort and hope to have the honor of your return visit to ensure a flawless stay.

With best regards,
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I down rated it for a couple of reasons. 1st is that all of the Palaces need to update their paperwork processing and get into the late 20th century. I takes way too long to make reservations for anything. They upgraded us to concierge service and their intent is to give tons of attention but their systems don't allow them access to many of the things we wanted to do like outside trips. They take a long time to generate lots of paper when thy should be able to look at a screen and just book an appointment a couple of minutes. Also the $1,500 resort credit is monopoly money that can only be used on a few highly inflated things but it is a nice bonus for coming even if you don't use it all. The food was excellent and as with all the Palaces their employees can't do enough for you and are very appreciative and grateful you came there.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Davidtars
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Oh, the woes of "upgrading" systems. I am positive most computer users have gone through this situation. Trying to get into the 21st. century and at no small cost (several 6 zero figures in dollars) we really have had a lot of problems. And unfortunately, they do translate to our guests who shouldn't even notice these issues and have paid their good money to come. Most of all, we are bound by the trust you place on us to have a carefree vacation. That really hurts!

Slowly but surely we have gotten rid of the glitches and bugs. Thank goodness our patrons' happiness and our staff's attitude have nothing to do with technology and in the end, despite programs gone awry you found our human services good.

By the time you return, we will have the system down pat or be using pencil and paper. Done that. Can do it again.

Receive my warmest salutations for your very unbiased report.
new jersey
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed at the Sun Palace last week. The positives are that the staff are friendly, work really hard and really hustle to make their guests happy and try to accomodate to everyone. The spa is small but beautiful and you get quality service from their team. BUT there were some negatives as well...... Our travel agent, Michael from Dream Makers, was kind enough to confirm an upgrade for us prior to arrival. Unfortunately, the hotel records weren't updated and check-in took about two hours. The reception staff was very kind and bent over backwards for us, but there seems to be minimal communication between management and staff. We arrived in our beautiful rooms with a spacious balcony. Unfortunately, the toilet kept getting clogged. Within 12 hours, we had called maintenance twice until finally they used a snake and the toilet worked fine at the end of our second day. If you want to get an umbrella while sunbathing, show up at the beach between 6:30 and 7:00 am. Or else you will not get an umbrella. Other idividuals simply put towels on their chairs and show up 4-5 hours later claiming their chairs and umbrellas. This causes frustration and arguing on the beach. Not cool for those arguing nor the other guests watching. AND if you like having beach towels, you will have to wait until after 10:30 am or later to have a beach towel as they are all out. Whether you arrive at the beach at 6:30 am or anytime afterwards. If you are the kind of traveler that enjoys excursions and not a sunworshipper, this is the place for you. On the other hand, if your idea of a vacation is a day at the beach, relaxing, that's isn't going to happen here.

6 Thank san1101
Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My boyfriend and I spent five days in January at the Sun Palace. It was amazing. Our day was spent waking up to watch the sunrise from our balcony, spending the morning on the beach on the comfortable bed chairs, great buffet lunch and afternoon in the pool and playing volleyball. We ate supper at the fancy restaurant, the steak restaurant, romantic dinner and had room service. All the food was delicious. The staff was great and very personable. We didn't use all our resort dollars, but that was fine. Definitely can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 84aford
I can but thank you for the very nice comments on your stay. To have met with your approval is our best gift for us.

Please let us know when you'll be coming back. We will exceed this past stay. Return customers are very appreciated by both my staff and myself.

With warmest regards,
Avon, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I just spent 2/4-2/11/12 at Sun Palace. Don't be fooled into thinking that you can use the $1500.00 resort credit as you wish. We were handed a sheet of paper telling us what amounts can be used where. We were primarily interested in the spa. The amount allotted is only $300, which will cover about one and a half treatments. THe sales pitches for buying into their "membership" (read: timeshare) is obnoxious and made us very angry. The front desk customer service people are very secretive about what they are trying to get you to do by "giving you a free taxi cab ride to Moon Palace for breakfast". If you go to them to book a day trip or ask a question, be prepared to be thrown the sales pitch to schedule a "breakfast" which means listen to one of the sales people pitch you a membership. THe members that we spoke to throughout the week all said that it's a farce because you are just buying a room since you have to pay flight and buy the meal plan. Basically, it comes out to the same price as if you booked the vacation yourself. Save your money.
The resort caters to mid 30's to mid 40's. The loud techno music at the pool every day was obnoxious. It basically is a heavy drinking, tatoo's body, shaved head crowd.
The food was good, the staff (other than the front desk and tour desk people) was wonderful, work very hard and are very nice people.
Our first night I woke up to water dripping on my foot. Yes, the roof was leaking. We used our resort credit to upgrade to concierge level (note, it's the same exact room except for a bigger balcony, 2 free 25-min massages and choice of a pillow).
My husband and I will never go to Sun Palace again. It was so deceiving. It is not as luxurious as the photos. There is nothing to do. You have to leave to do anything except watch people drink from morning to night.

5 Thank Carolyn R
I am very sorry about your review. I hail from tho old hotel school where the client is always right. If your outlook for our resort is that you wouldn't return, I have to respect your decision.

I don't give up easily though. I will always offer my personal assistance if you would deem to try us only once again. I know we offer a good product and I would like convince you personally about it.

Please feel free to contact me directly, be it for this new opportunity or at least to have the pleasure of exchanging a few personal words and comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
9.6 km away
20.2 km away
Isla Mujeres Palace
Isla Mujeres Palace
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!