New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“5th time in Cancun.....1st time at Sun Palace” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #9 of 183 Hotels in Cancun
“5th time in Cancun.....1st time at Sun Palace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We have visited Cancun 5 times staying at Cancun Palace, Moon Palace, RIU Caribe, Dreams and Sun Palace. We really enjoyed the more laid back atmosphere of the adults-only Sun Palace. Three of the five trips to Cancun have included adult sons. They probably would not have enjoyed the atmosphere of Sun Palace (even with girlfriends or wives) because of being more low keyed......it was perfect for my husband and myself. We are not "picky" eaters and felt as though the food was excellent. We are beach people and felt the beach service was the best we have ever experienced. We did the concierge level upgrade with part of the $1500 promotion and loved it--more for the beach beds than the actual room. I loathe the reserving of beach or pool chairs and loved the fact that a beach bed was there for us and that we didn't have to play the game. We usually stay at the beach all day. We look forward to returning to Sun Palace many times in the future.

Room Tip: All but a very few of the rooms offer a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank knorth1979
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Very nice review.
You might have noticed that we do have quite a bit of young couples, essentially honeymooners. I understand your thoughts on your sons and wives and you know them best.

Some families stay, say, parents with us and young ones at the Beach Palace or Moon Palace. It is a nice way to spend family time toghether and yet let all couples have their own space.

We will be happy to see you return.

Cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,639)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed in a concierge room, which was very good indeed. The four restaurants are good, and the staff much better than average for this area. I couldnt find much to moan about, and I am a bit of a moaner. The pool areas could be larger if I was pushed to complain but they are very well maintained, and the beach is just yards away.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a concierge room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank thegoslings
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
You stayed in November, You should be thinking about returning just about now. It is hot but the weather has been beautiful, clear skies and warm waters.

Probably other resorts have more manicured service. We base our success on friendliness and genuine desire to please each one of our guests' preferences. Haughty we are not.

I hope Sun Palace merits your repeat visits and I will look forward to your next one.

With pleasant regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Prior to booking our vacation, I read some of the negative reviews and had second thoughts about staying here. We had a great time and have only nice things to say. Service was spectacular. Italian and Asian restaurant were pretty good. We didn't care too much for the lunch buffet, but it wasn't that bad. We took the public bus for 1 dollar to visit Beach Palace and had lunch buffet there, that was better. We agreed to vacation member presentation of Moon Palace and wouldn't do that again, but we might consider buying that service in the future. We will definitely be back. Really only negative thing that even bothered me a little bit was they played disco music by the pool that repeated on a loop. There is only so many times I can listen to KC and the Sunshine Band...That's the way uh huh, uh huh I like it, before I had to leave and go to the other pool. One last thing, we did explor as our gift for going to 3 hour presentation. It was a blast, but lots of stair climbing for zip line. If you do Explor, eat your Wheaties.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Sashasunny
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
I am very happy that you finally did give us the benefit of the doubt and are satisfied with your choice. To appease your comment on the repeat music, we have totally changed our selection.

We offer many venues for activities, some are more strenuous than others and it is entirely up to you....but indeed, the zip line does call for those in good physical shape, which I am sure you are.

I hope that you will not have second thoughts about your return.

Best wishes,
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

upon checkin, we were greeted with a welcome drink - great start to a vacation. We used our resort credits (we had the 5+ night so $1500) for:
1. Upgrade the room to Concierge level - go for the bigger room (vs. balcony) - so worth it.
2. Lobster dinner on the beach
3. Massages (we couldn't get both of ours with the credit, but one was paid for and the other was discounted)
4. Trip to Isla Mujeres (also very worth it)
5. Two upgraded bottles of wine - one with our honeymoon dinner and a bottle of champagne with our lobster dinner

the property is small but beautiful and we liked that it was smaller. No kids around, no cray singles. Beautiful beach views.

We would go back in a minute.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ewendkos
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Simple and to the point. Yet complete.

You are guests that have no problems deciding what and when to take advanage of what we offer. So refreshing!

I only hope that the Would, as in "would go back in a minute" means "will".

I look forward to hosting you again,

Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

we stayed with some friends in the fall and enjoyed every minute. Sun palace has a cool modern feel throughout the hotel that you feel as soon as you step in the lobby. The food is fantastic. The service is great and yiu are less than 10 minutes from the airport.
It's not cheap but it's still worth every penny!

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank PatH1313
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Yup! As any architectural design I've had a lot of opinions, good and not so of the feel of my resort. It was specificiall designed for what you so well describe, minimalistic, glass and marble which in this part of the world leads to natural freshness.

And I agree: Our rates are not the lowest in the market but neither the highest. We try to give you your money's worth by delivering a good, consistent and satisfying product. I thank you for corroborating this in your review.

My staff and myself thank you for a pristine description!

Best wishes,
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed at Sun Palace at the end of April in 2011 and returned back in September. Also just booked to go back in December 2012.

I'll start out by saying I am a travel agent, so I have seen many hotels and heard many reviews and the Sun Palace ousts them all. The service is beyond impeccable and the resort is super clean. Those have to be my 2 most important qualities. Beyond that the beach-clean and wide, and pools great variety with an activity and quiet pool. Also I am a bit biased to smaller resorts, which this is the perfect size-enough for a variety of food, but small enough not to feel overwhelmed and always feel at home. I love that employees know your name and are so welcoming each time back. Jose and Raul at the lobby bar are absolutely amazing. Also another thing, if you are looking for a night life I have to say this is fantastic-where many resorts that are couples only die down at night this resort is what you make of it. The lobby bar has entertainment and they stay open as long as your still there.

This has to be one of my top recommendations to clients- and myself will continue to go back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kbcb3749
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
I always look for a phrase in my reviews that can give me the opportunity of answering in a unique way. Two things caught my attention in yours: That you are in the tourist trade, which is very important as you have been around and I consider trade people's comments those of experts and the other: "Sun Palace is what you make of it...". You hit it right on the head! It is an adults' resort. We provide a very ample choice of venues but we will not take you by the hand and tell you to do this or that. As a grown up we surmise that you will make your own choices.
I just loved your phrase! Thank you!

And thank you for your very kind review!

Cordially,
New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We are Premiere Members and this was our first visit to the Sun Palace. We wanted to take a vacation alone this year and wanted a place to just sit back and relax and that is just what we found. We were greeted right away when we walked into the door and were taken right to the 4th floor to meet with our organizer, Jesus. He was very friendly, courteous and very helpful. Jesus was always at his desk and was very helpful. The room was perfect. It had a hot tub and a nice big balcony overlooking the pool and the beach. We even watched a few weddings on the beach from our room. The next day we went down to meet with Maria Espinal, our Concierge person. Maria was most personable, helpful and went above and beyond her job to make our trip pleasurable. We looked forward to seeing her every morning. It was a pleasure getting to know her and just talking. We tried all of the restaurants. The food and service was very good in each one. Manuela Reges, at the Mexican restaurant was excellent. She was very friendly and remembered us every day when we came in for breakfast. She went above and beyond her job as well to make sure we were well taken care of. She was always smiling and very pleasant to talk to. The pools were very clean, the swim up bar was wonderful. Had a lot of variety of drinks for my husband to try, B-52s, Bob Marley's and Bumblebees? The Amaretto Sours were excellent in the Lobby Bar. The entertainment at night in the Lobby Bar was fun and well organized. Great job guys. We signed up for the romantic dinner on the beach. We highly recommend it. The lobster tail was great and the atmosphere was the best. Each table had a light under it and we were about 15 feet from the water. The night air was perfect as well. It was just beautiful. The spa and salon were very clean, staff were very nice and the services were the best I have ever experienced. It was very relaxing. Even Roger in the resort store made friends with my husband. Roger thought he was Randy Savage at first. Too funny. We met a lot of people from so many different states. It was great getting to know everyone. It is a great place for a relaxing get away without kids. By far, this is the best Palace Resort we have been too. We will definitely go back. Thank you everyone at Sun Palace for the excellent stay and experience.

Room Tip: beach front is the best
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Randy L
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Your title is where I think I am every day, a little piece of Paradise. Even though as every job, sometimes the going is heavy, all I need to do is take a walk around the pool, see and converse with happy guests either enjoing the sun, the pool or the beach...watch the ocean and thank God for having allowed me the privilige of being here.

As you found, the people at the Sun Palace are good and hardworking. They always have a smile or a kind word for our guests and also for me. What else can one ask for?

Thank you for reminding me to count my blessings!

With my warmest regards,