“sun palace”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 28 December 2009

This ranks as our best vacation due in no small part to the Sun Palace. We were welcomed with cool towels and champagne. The staff was excellent as was the food and presentation, Our room was restocked everyday with Tecate and water. There was only one small hitch; we were temporarily out of Coke for a day but that was a delivery issue that the Sun rectified as soon as they could. I highly recommend the Sun to anyone and will certainly return when possible. excellence in which all others are compared to..the best..

Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DarleneS6
There are newer reviews for Sun Palace

Reviewed 24 December 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sun Palace from Dec 15th - 19th. We wanted to go somewhere warm where we could relax for a few days and Sun Palace was excellent. We ate at every restaurant except for the oriental one. All of them had a large variety to offer and if there was something else that you wanted, the wait staff was more than accommodating to make it happen. I've seen mixed reviews for their food on here and I have to say that I am quite a picky eater and almost everything I had was excellent. The service was great. We used room service 4 times and each time the food arrived quicker than promised.

We spent most days by the quiet pool (vs. the activity pool) and the wait staff learned what we liked and they kept up with us very well! We did tip as we ordered and tipped after our meals - a little more when the service was even better than usual.

We had a junior suite that overlooked the activity pool. The afternoons were a little loud when I went up to try to get in a nap. You can hear noise in the rooms from the hallway but this is mainly because the entire hotel is marble and glass. There isn't anything to absorb sound. The view of the ocean from the room is spectacular and since is it is so close, the sound of the waves is awesome - you can still hear it even when your door is closed. I have stayed at other places in Cancun and they had lagoons or rock barriers that calmed the waves. Not the case at Sun Palace! Each room has a stocked fridge, some hard alcohol and wine. They kept everything stocked while we were there. No problems, we never had to ask.

We didn't leave Sun Palace to do excursions or visit any other Palace resorts. Our plan was to stay there for our entire visit. It was a great place to spend a few days in the sun relaxing and being waited on. The only thing that annoyed me was that since I knew I wasn't planning on leaving when I got there, they still wanted me to listen to them sell their excursions and time share speeches. I had to be stern in saying no a few times.

4  Thank letsgonow123
Reviewed 24 December 2009

My wife & I stayed at the Sun Palace (SP) from December 8-15, 2009 to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. It was our 1st trip to Cancun and we had a great time! We found the reviews here at trip advisor very helpful; so we decided to give a detailed review which is quite long.

1st thing however – if you find this review helpful and go to the SP, can you please email me the recipe for the frozen banana monkey and reef drinks from the pool bar drink menu? These were our favorite poolside drinks.

Our trip highlights are:

Dec. 8th – arrival at 2:30 pm at SP; no spa or outside activities
Dec. 9th – stayed at Sun Palace; pm - holistic massage for each of us
Dec. 10th – morning Jungle Tour; manicure for my wife; stayed at SP
Dec. 11th – Chichen Itza; evening at SP
Dec. 12th – morning Marine Bath & Body Wash for my wife; shopping in the hotel zone; afternoon at Beach Palace; Dinner at Cancun Palace
Dec. 13th – stayed at SP; quick hotel zone shopping trip in afternoon
Dec. 14th – Zip Line Tour in morning; stayed at SP
Dec. 15th – depart SP at 9:30 am

ARRIVAL at CANCUN AIRPORT: While you are on the plane each person completes an immigration form & each family completes a customs form. When you deplane each person goes thru immigration and must retain a portion of the immigration form in order to leave Mexico on their return flight. You then pick up your checked luggage and go thru Customs. You push a button at Customs – if it’s green you go, if it’s red your baggage is searched. After you pass thru Customs, it is about 100-150 feet to the outside exit. Along this walk, you will be approached by people in blue shirts who state they want to help you. I RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT, KEEP WALKING, AND REPEATEDLY TELL THEM NO THANKS AS THEY ARE TRYING TO GET YOU TO ATTEND A TIMESHARE PRESENTATION. Once you are outside, you are still being hounded by people supposedly trying to help you. One individual followed us until we located our transportation service. We located Trafic Tours to the right after we exited the airport. We did not see overhead signs for the various transportation companies, but we did find the Trafic Tours representatives because they were in red shirts and we had been told to look for red shirts and the Palace Resorts sign. Once we hooked up with Trafic Tours, we waited about 10 minutes for a van to fill and then it took another 10 or so minutes to get to the Sun Palace.

ARRIVAL at SUN PALACE: The bellhops took our luggage and directed us to the front desk. After getting our approval, the front desk checked us in concurrently with another couple. While the check-in was being completed, we were directed to speak with a guest services representative located in the main lobby. She went over the available included tours, credits for promotions, and tried to get us to agree to go to a 90 minute timeshare presentation at Cancun Palace for 2,000 pesos ($160 USD). We said NO twice to the time share presentation offer and then the guest services representative booked our included tours for Chichen Itza & the Zip Line. We then checked into our room, unpacked, and went downstairs to the main lobby to meet with the Palace Vacation Planner who booked our SPA treatments, paid tours (BOGO Jungle tour), and verified our return transportation to the airport.
NOTE – the timeshare presentation was brought up every time we had a question or needed help from Guest Services or the Palace Vacation Planner. They also left a message on our phone at SP 2 days before vacation was over. It was even brought up by the Cancun Palace entrance staff when we stopped to make our dinner reservation. If you are not interested, I recommend you say NO and move the conversation along – be prepared to be a little rude or just walk away once you have what you need from them.

RESORT: The SP is immaculate. The staff is extremely helpful. If there is something you want that’s not offered or on a menu, I recommend you ask and see what they can do. We requested skim milk at breakfast and lunch, different liquor and drinks for the room mini bar and frig, and received them promptly with a smile. The service in the restaurants was outstanding. The beach/pool side service was outstanding when the occupancy was high (90%) early in our stay, but it was not quite as good (less wait staff) when the occupancy dropped (60%) towards the end of our stay. I can’t say enough positive things about the staff.

ROOM: We stayed in 128 which is a junior suite overlooking the activity pool. The room, jacuzzi, maid service, beverage service, and room service were outstanding. We used the jacuzzi twice and it takes about 20-25 minutes to fill. Upon arrival, I dialed zero to request Jack Daniels, not scotch whiskey, in the mini bar. The individual who answered the phone took my request and stated he would look into the matter and get back with me. I got a phone call 2 hours later and was told to just dial zero and order as many glasses of Jack Daniels as I wanted and they would be delivered to my room. I ordered 4 glasses each time on 4 different evenings and it was delivered within 10 minutes on each occasion.

RESTAURANTS: I thought the food was very good. I ate seafood and steak for lunch & dinner, along with fresh fruit, salads, and vegetables. My wife tried more variety and she thought it was very good as well, although there were a few items she did not care for. The meal at the Miyako (Cancun Palace) was both entertaining and delicious. We ate as follows:
BREAKFAST: 4x buffet & 3x room service
LUNCH: 4x buffet & 2x pool grill (once at Beach Palace)
DINNER: 3x La Trotto, 2x El Alamo, 1x The Steak, 1x Miyako (Cancun Palace)
NOTE - We did not try the Oriental Lounge because the menu was mostly Sushi and seafood. Neither one of us likes Sushi and wife does not eat seafood.
NOTE- You have to go in person to the El Mercado restaurant in the Cancun Palace between 11 am to 3 pm to make a reservation for the Miyako restaurant that evening. We used the showers in the gym area of the Cancun Palace to clean up prior to dinner after being at the rooftop pool at the Beach Palace all afternoon. We were told by several people to check with the Cancun Palace front desk to get a room to clean up in prior to dinner, but we didn’t bother.

BEACH: The beach at SP is about 50 feet of deep sand until the surf. The surf zone has rocks exposed. The flags were red, although I did not think the water was as rough as the North Carolina (NC) coast. I did go swimming in the ocean just outside of the SP life guard area. The sun does stay longer on the beach area than the pool areas. The beach at the north end of Cancun by the Beach Palace is being re-nourished and is over 200 feet wide.

POOLS: The activity pool is the largest, has the swim up bar, and the grill service lunch time buffet. They do activities all day here and a schedule is posted by the pool. The indoor pool is really just covered by the upper floors and is located outside the spa next to the activity pool. The indoor pool is heated (but not very hot) and has Jacuzzis at each end. The 2 quiet pools are separated from the activity pool and have a bar right there. We spent time at the beach and all the pools and enjoyed every moment.
NOTE – the water temperature in the activity pool and quiet pool are a little on the cool side. The water temperature in the Beach Palace rooftop pool was warmer.

SPA: My wife and I both had 50 minute holistic massages. We exchanged the included manicure, pedicure, and 25 minute massages plus a fee to upgrade to 50 minute holistic massages. I thought it was great, but hey, it’s my 1st massage. My wife used the spa credit to get a manicure and the 50 minute marine bath & body wash. She is still talking about how wonderful the marine bath & body wash treatment was, and she’s had a few spa treatments over the years. We also visited the co-ed sauna & steam room located in the spa at the SP. Just go to the spa desk and tell them you want to use the sauna and steam room. They will get your room number and name, show you the facilities, and let you enjoy them. There is no additional cost for the co-ed sauna & steam room.

NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT: We went to the nightly entertainment each night from 9-10 pm. There is the Dreams Show (like Cirque du Soleil), the Fire Show on the beach, the Mexican Show, the Michael Jackson Show, Casino Night, Karaoke Night, and something else night. It was done in good fun and was entertaining, but you’re not on Broadway or in Vegas. You get served drinks throughout the show, so sit back and enjoy. After the nightly entertainment, my wife and I spent time at the Lobby Bar for the band, drinks, and conversation.

LOCAL BUS: We used the bus for several trips along the hotel zone. The fare is 7.5 pesos per person per trip & the driver provides change. We told the driver where we wanted to go when we boarded and also paid attention to the map provided by the SP with the hotels identified. It was easy & safe to use.

SHOPPING: We purchased quite a bit of souvenir items at Plaza la Fiesta in the main hotel zone shopping area. The Plaza la Fiesta at this location is a large discount outlet. They have staff in each department that writes a ticket for items selected in that department. I tried to haggle with them about price but they did not budge and asked if we had the 10% discount coupon which we did. You then take all your items and tickets and pay at one location. When we were there, they were giving a “use that day” coupon for $20 towards a silver jewelry purchase for every $50 spent, but you could not use the 10% discount if you did the silver jewelry coupon. We went the silvery jewelry coupon route and my wife bought a nice necklace and earrings. We also went to Plaza la Isla shopping center which has a smaller Plaza la Fiesta discount store, a Casa Mexicana discount store, and lots of name brand shops and restaurants. We did not try to haggle here either and purchased some more tourist clothing articles from the Casa Mexicana for the family.
NOTE – At the souvenir stores, they offer you tequila shots at the main entrance and always have some type of promotion to get you to buy more.

JUNGLE TOUR: This is located in the marina directly across the street from SP. You have a selection of morning, mid day, or later afternoon times. We did the 9:30 am tour and it was great! You go in groups of 3-4 two person speed boats with a guide who takes you thru 1 mile or so of mangroves and then into the ocean for a 20-30 minute ride to the reef. You park your boats together at the reef and snorkel for about 40 minutes or so. The water is 3-8 feet deep at the reef so you do not have submerge your snorkel entirely under water. We saw brain and fan coral, lots of colorful small fish, a few larger fish including grouper, and a lobster. My wife also saw a 3 foot barracuda. This was our favorite tour although I wish we had more time at the reef and brought an underwater camera. We also bought the photo of us leaving the dock area in the speed boat for $10. We were back to the SP by 11:45 am.

CHICHEN ITZA: This was an 11 hour trip. We departed SP at 7:10 am and picked up other tour goers at Cancun Palace where our bus was full. You travel for another 1.5 hours while the tour guide is providing information about the region and then stop at the state boundary for the bus to pay a toll. There are a few restrooms here and they were fairly clean (cleanliness similar to stopping along a US interstate). We resumed our trip (45 more minutes) aboard the bus and a representative from the official Mayan society talks about the Mayan calendar and offers to sell you an official Mayan calendar where you select a significant date to be portrayed. You then arrive at a local shop/restaurant (for 30 minutes) to use the restroom and these restrooms were a little cleaner. You can shop here if you like and then board the bus for 45 more minutes to arrive at Chichen Itza. The tour guide gets your tickets & entrance bands while you fend off people selling hats, sun glasses, and other items. You enter Chichen Itza and walk down a path with wall to wall stands of silver jewelry, clothes, wood carvings, and other souvenirs. It is like this everyway inside Chichen Itza. You are constantly being asked if you want to purchase something. My wife did buy a beautiful hand made dress. Your guide takes you on a 1.25 hour guided tour and then you have 1.25 hours on your own. THE RUINS ARE TRULY AMAZING AND WORTH THE TRIP THOUGH. After this, you depart Chichen Itza and return to the local shop/restaurant for an hour to eat lunch, use the rest room, and shop if you like. The bus departs and returns directly to SP as its 1st stop. We returned to the SP at 6:05 pm.
NOTE – bring hat, sunglasses, sun screen, bug spray, bottled water, and snacks. Order the box lunch from SP because the official lunch break is around 3 pm. The vendors at Chichen Itza constantly approach you – just say NO and keep walking. If you want to shop, haggle and you should be able to purchase the item for 60-70% of their asking price. There is a lot of competition inside and outside Chichen Itza for your money so I recommend you haggle.

ZIP LINE: We were picked up at SP at 7:40 am and then went to Cancun Palace to pick up more to fill the bus. We went to the Holkan Kingdom Park which appears to be a former quarry with stands built for zip line rides. Along the way the tour guide provides information about the park and other extra cost activities including ATV, horseback riding, shootover boat, and all terrain segways. The asking price per person for any of these additional activities is from $50-$70. We were interested in renting the ATVs, but didn’t want to spend too much. The asking price for 2 people on an ATV was $130 USD, but was finally lowered to $65 as a final offer. We declined. The zip line course itself has 10 cables, and a couple of bridges. It’s not too high and they provide the braking at each tower. This was our first zip line experience and we felt quite safe and secure. We had a really good time and bought the two $10 (each) souvenir pictures. The bus returned to SP at 10:40 am.

DEPARTURE from SUN PALACE: The bell hop staff called the day before our departure to arrange baggage pick up from our room. Check out was straight forward and correct. The van took us directly to departures at the Cancun airport and a porter took our bags to the front of the Delta check in line for us. After you check in and go thru security, you enter the duty free store. There are all kinds of alcohol sold mostly in 1 liter bottles and you can sample at least 30 different kinds of tequila here. The price is generally the same as a 750 ml bottle in NC so it’s about a 33% savings. US customs allows 1 liter per person duty free, but the staff at duty free in Cancun said 2 bottles per person was allowed into the US. My wife asked and was told the 1st bottle per person is duty free, and then you pay duty for the 2nd bottle (lower cost) at US customs. On the return flight to Atlanta, we filled out a US customs form claiming our purchases. We went through US customs, got our checked luggage, transferred our 2 bottles of tequila to checked luggage, and then went thru security.

TIPS: The staff at SP provided the same outstanding service whether I tipped or didn’t. It’s your choice. I choose to tip the following amounts at SP: $2/day for maid + $10 at end of week; $2 at breakfast, lunch, & room service; $5 at dinner; and $1 for every drink order. I also tipped $1/bag to transportation driver, bell hops, and airport porter. I also tipped $5-$10 for the tour guides & bus drivers depending on the length of the tour. I brought $100 in singles & $100 in fives and tipped about $175 during the entire week long trip.

If you have specific questions, just send an email.

34  Thank KSfromNC
Reviewed 23 December 2009

My husband and I stayed the 13th through the 19th for our honeymoon, and had a pretty good time. The hotel was beautiful and check in was a breeze. We had a cake and wine waiting for us in our room. That was a nice touch. The in-room two-person jacuzzi tub was amazing. Our view of the beach was beautiful. The staff is very friendly and eager to help you with anything.
We went on the Chitzen Itza tour and loved it. It is quite a haul, and the trip is long but I would do it again.
The beach was great. Luckily, the weather was nice and we were able to get some sun. The waters were rough, but we went out in the water anyway. It was fun!
The hotel, however, did have it's not so great things:
The food was not great. A lot of it was fried and the oil they fryed it in was pretty gross. The food was also either too bland, or too salty, too peppery, too buttery, etc. There was never a good balance of flavors at any meal. Most of the meals made me very sick to my stomach afterward. I am not the pickiest of eaters, but I do know good food, and the food was not good. The only thing my husband and I could stomach was the room service cheeseburger! Go figure! I was really temped to hit the McDonalds down the road. Sad, but true.

The hotel was really wierd about cleaning our room. We kept the red light on, indicating we did not want the room to be cleaned, and they called us on a couple occasions to tell us they needed to clean the room. Get the hint! We don't want it! On the last night we were there, we left the red light on to run down to grab dinner and when we came back, the room was cleaned! They were sneaky about it! We had the red light on! We didn't want it cleaned! We don't want strangers in our room when we are not there! Anyway, the day we left, we realized our camera was stolen out of our room and the last time we had seen it was right before we left that night for dinner. Stuff like that is exactly why we didn't want people in our room! Sadly, we didn't have time to do an investigation and have security look through our room, becuse we had to catch our flight home. It was pretty sad that all of our honeymoon pics are now gone.
Also, don't plan on getting rest during the day in your room either. The walls are super thin and you hear EVERYTHING. We knew when people were coming in and out of thier rooms, when they were going to the bathroom, showering, and having sex. We could tell our neighbors were having some "afternoon delight," because we could hear it!
In the evening, you will also hear all of the setting up, tearing down and every noise involved with The Steak. The sound carries up in to your room!
Another note, don't get the spa services if you want relaxation. We had massages, but the massage rooms are right next to the activity pool. I had a hard time relaxing with yelling, and laughing and music blasting during my massage.
Overall, the hotel is nice. Cancun is pretty touristy and kind of lame, and totally caters to Americans. We really enjoyed our time relaxing on the beach and in our room in the jacuzzi, but dont' think we would ever come back to Cancun or the Sun Palace.

5  Thank AAAJonas
Reviewed 22 December 2009

We traveled during December 13 -20. Pick up at the airport was provided by Olympus and they were there to great us. Be sure to only speak to the guys with the orange tops and blue pants (it will also say Olympus on the shirt). There are so many out there who ‘say’ they are, but it is a sales pitch. The ride to the hotel was only about 15-20 minutes or so.

We were greeted with a glass of champagne, a flower and a cold towel. We went up to our room #817. Great view, very clean, very small balcony. Our travel agent told them it was our honeymoon, so a bottle of wine was waiting in the room. We had a cake delivered one evening, other desserts on another, 2 t-shirts, and rose petals in our Jacuzzi with a bottle of champagne. Thanks Stephanie from Best Cruise International – you are the best agent ever!! As other reviews stated, the door to the toilet is frosted without much ‘sound proofing’, so be sure that you are comfortable with who ever you are traveling with. You have free internet access (in the lobby) and phone service (from your room) to US – which was great, since we left the day after the snow storm that hit the east coast – we were constantly trying to find out what our flight was doing.

We were able to take advantage of two of the free tours. Isla Mujeres was a long boat ride over, but the guys running it were very entertaining. Once at the island you could just stay at the Palace resort and eat, drink and lay around. It is a very small place with a small beach. If we had known ahead of time, you could go on a tour of the island, snorkel, scuba (which were all additional $ and we did not bring extra) we would have tried it. We were then taken into town for some shopping. The tour guide told us which shops to go in, because ‘they were the best’. Don’t fall for it. Go further off the beaten path and you will find better merchandise at better prices. You leave at 9:00 and come back around 6:00. We also did Chichen Itza. This was a long bus ride, but again our tour guide Benjamin was very informative. You leave at 7:00 and come back around 6:30. I had a $150 credit for the spa and chose an aromatherapy for $180/80 minutes. Again, as another review stated, be sure when you check out that you are not charged full price. They did this to me and I had a hard time getting back the credit, even though I mentioned this when booking the treatment. It was only when I said “I read about this problem on the internet”, when he quickly spoke with someone who reversed it. The spa was clean. They should move it, since it was by the activity pool and you could hear all the cheers and yelling – it was distracting.

Our favorite restaurant was the Oriental Lounge, very good. Tratto and Alamo were pretty good too. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. If you want coffee prior to 7:00 a.m., there is some provided in the Lobby Bar, along with cereal, fruit and yogurt. A wide variety of food, complete with omelet, pancake/waffle station for breakfast and a pasta, taco, meat/fish station for lunch. The outside Steak restaurant was our least favorite. You pretty much have to order your food rare to not have it tasting like shoe leather. We did have a romantic dinner – for the honeymoon. It was outside the Tratto along with a handful of other couples. We ordered room service one morning which was warm and came on time.

I pretty much went to the gym every day. It was clean with all the equipment in working condition. They had treadmills, elliptical, bikes, weight machines and free weights. You can run outside, but be careful to stay on the side where the hotels are. At least there are sidewalks available. The activity pool had water volleyball, bingo and a couple other games. There was a quiet pool if you like that better. The beach was nice, but be careful of the huge rocks/boulders. If you get hit by the rough waves, you could crack your noggin on one in a minute. There is limited sun around the pool area. Not sure if this had to do with the time of year or not. Chairs were also very abundant. This may have been the case since they were only 60% full. There are vendors on the beach selling their wares, which they seemed to have better prices than the malls/shops. If buying silver, be sure it is 9.25.

The bar staff was great. They had us trying all different types of shots/drinks. Be sure to ask for a Mexican Flag, Wedding Cake and a Bumble Bee. Jose and Norberto were the best. Servers in the restaurants were very prompt and courteous. You can tell they really enjoy their jobs. Even the maintenance people and housekeeping were friendly. They take surveys during your stay to see what they improve on. The things I suggested were: pool table (game room), on-site photographer, a free shuttle to their other Palace resorts and maybe a ‘wine-tasting’.

The shows in the evening were pretty entertaining. The best one was Michael Jackson. They also had Mexican Fiesta, Circus, Karaoke, Casino Night, Fire Show and “Anything Can Happen”.

Since our flight was delayed, we chose not to go back with Olympus tours, since they could only bring us back at the original time. We did not want to stay at the airport for 7 hours, so we took a cab for $20. Just be sure your cab driver drops you at the right terminal. Ours did, even though we asked twice. We had to catch a shuttle over to the correct one.

To sum it up: Great place, great service. I would recommend it to other friends and family.

6  Thank ltritz
Reviewed 19 December 2009

My wife and I traveled to Cancun and the hotel Sun Palace for our 24th wedding anniversary. We have cruised Holland America, traveled all over Europe and the Mediteranian and this incredibly topped the list. The hotel is spotless, the rooms superb, the food excellent , the beach simply perfect and the price reasonable. The key element to this perfect setting was the impeccable demeanor and manners of our Mexican hosts. It must be a combination of the their renowned kindness mixed with the knowledge that visitors are customers and they are running a business. We fully intend to return to one of the Palace hotels in Cancun with our family in the future...and essentially stop looking for the perfect vacation spot...because we have found it.

5  Thank rbabski
Reviewed 18 December 2009

Overall, our trip to Sun Palace was a very, very nice experience. We stayed at Le Blanc earlier this year and have also recently stayed at two of the Excellence properties and it was nice to compare the differences between all of these wonderful hotels.

We stayed on the concierge level and found that the concierge service was very helpful. We arrived quite early on our first day and our room was already ready for us. I did find it odd that they sent us ahead to our room alone rather than being personally escorted to the room. Only minutes after we arrived to the room, our luggage was delivered and we were give a tour/explanation of the room and the amenities. The room was more than adequate, and although we had one of the smaller balconies, I had no desire to change since I prefer to spend my time at the pool/beach. As others have said, the bed was truely the hardest I've slept on in Mexico. We did order a pad on the second day and they promptly took care of it, but it only helped a bit. Other than that, we really enjoyed our room and location/view.

We had morning room service (coffee and pastries) every morning and they were prompt and everything was hot/fresh. The only room service mishap we had was on the last day, we picked up our coffee carafe only to discover it was empty. However, they promptly solved the problem and brought us our coffee. We ate at all the resturants except the Steak and found that the food was very good. In addition to coffee/pastries in the room every morning, we had the breakfast buffet every day, ate at the lunch buffet or pool buffet or down on the beach every afternoon, and at one of the restaurants every evening. My personal favorite was the tataki (sp) at the Oriental restaurant - very good. I think our only real complaint was at the Mexican restaurant, and that had nothing to do with the food, but rather the length of time it took to get through the meal. Certainly we were in no hurry - we were on vacation - but we were there for over two hours for an appetizer and a main course. We did do the private beach dinner one night and that was very good as well. However, if you are partial to having your food blazing hot, you may wish to skip that. We also found the staff to be very accomodating at meal times. My partner had grilled shrimp one afternoon for lunch and went back the next day to have it again. It was not part of the buffet that day, but when the chef realized that is what he wanted, they prepared it special for him.

The service was really very good. We were brought snacks on the beach and rarely had an empty glass. There was always someone around to help with an umbrella if you wanted. The concierge staff was always available to help and the waiters/waitresses were very gracious at every meal. Housekeeping did a wonderful job with the room and our minibar was kept fully stocked.

The day that we arrived was my partner's birthday and I was planning on emailing the staff to set up something special, but didn't get to it before we left. So, I had planned to catch the concierge shortly after we arrive to arrange something. I didn't even need to do that. Before I could sneak out of the room when my partner wasn't looking to make the arrangements, staff knocked on the door and had brought a birthday cake with his name on it and champagne. Very nice :)

I had spa credits and the free massages, which I only used part of. Not because there was anything wrong, but I just never really seemed to have the time to book much and before I knew it, it was time to go. I did have one 25 minute massage, a manicure, a pedicure, and a scalp treatment. All were very nice and the mani/pedi was exceptional (still holding strong even though I had it on the first day AND was in the pool and ocean alot).

The activities staff was very good. They made an excellent effort to engage as many people as possible without being pushy. We did see several shows and did Casino Night - all of which were fun. We were lucky to make arrangements with the Italian restaurant to sit in the part of the restaurant that overhangs the beach the night of the Fire Show so we could sit inside and watch the show while having out Mayan Coffee (also another favorite of mine).

Overall, we found our stay to be very enjoyable and would highly recommend Sun Palace to others. As far as which property I think is "better" between Le Blanc, Sun Palace and the two Excellence properties? All I can say is "what are you looking for?" Each property offers something different. They are all excellent places to stay and I didn't leave any of the properties, including Sun Palace thinking that "this one beats them all." Sun Palace had more activites to offer than Le Blanc and we thought the pool/beach service was better at Sun Palace. However, Le Blanc very quiet and relaxing, and the calming feeling when you walk around the hotel is wonderful as well (although the lack of balconies is disappointing). Also, we found Le Blanc to be more "updated" in the rooms and more attention to detail. Excellence properties have more resturants, including a lobster resturant, to choose from and no beach vendors to deal with. Also, Excellence properties have alot more room to stroll around the property and alot of vegetation to see. So, overall, I think that Sun Palace is a very enjoyable place with great service and great food. Those are great things for any vacationer to be lucky enough to enjoy!

7  Thank momof6kidsinMN