just got back from staying at the royal sands. we were scheduled to stay at the royal cancun, but a last minute week popped up in II, and because of all the great comments re royal sands, we shifted over to the royal sands. overall, great move on our part. here's the good/bad-
pros- beautiful place! we checked out the royal caribbean/islander/mayan and felt that the sands was by far the nicest of the royal group. fabulous room- an oceanview villa, totally renovated and so spacious! great staff- very polite and friendly. loved the lunch buffet by the pool- great deal for soup/salad and entree. The market was a plus, and basics were pretty reasonable. reasonable conversion rates. Free morning coffee in the lobby. Also, there's a bus stop right down in front of the building. (For 85 pesos, you can do a quick ride into town. buses are sooo easy.. and safe. Forget the taxi!)
cons- the gym and jacuzzi were located in the spa, which was an additional $12/day. it would've been nice to jump into the jacuzzi after swimming.
The biggest issue we had was with the personal concierge... or the lack thereof. The sands is known for assigning a concierge to each family for guidance, questions or whatever. we never had a concierge assigned until 3 days after we were there. We didn't know about the welcome party, where i presume they inform you of everything being offered during the week. when we went to book a Xel-Ha trip, we found out the sands did their own bus there! Had we known that, we would've booked through the hotel and saved ourselves the extra 2 hours for hotel pickups/dropoffs. Ultimately, it became a joke when anything went wrong... "if we had a personal concierge...". I presume it was an isolated screw-up, but it was upsetting.
Chichen itza and xel-ha were great!! Cancun-discounts.com had a cheap chichen-itza tour, which probably was just as good as the $100 tour. So we didn't get the plush bus or food/drinks! We used the extra $$$ for dinner at senor frogs and carlos and charlies (so fun!)
Even with the concierge issue, we'd go back in a heartbeat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, one of the best All-Inclusive resorts in the area, sits at the center of Cancun's spectacular Caribbean shoreline with breathtaking views of white sand and turquoise waters. With a privileged location, five-star luxury, a world-class Spa, tempting dining choices and activities for all ages, The Royal Sands has everything you need for your next Caribbean vacation. Enjoy fine dining, activities and amenities offered by the REFINE All-Inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Travelocity.ca and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Sands Hotel Cancun
- Royal Sands Cancun
- Cancun Royal Sands Resort
- Royal Sands Resort Cancun