“Beautiful and peaceful resort, but with an older crowd”

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #20 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My boyfriend and I are in our 20s and booked a week and the royal sands in January. The beach here was beautiful with lots of waves. The perfect place to relax. The food was delicious and there was a lot of choices for restaurants to eat at. The Mexican restaurant was very authentic and had delicious food. I think one of the best features here was the staff. They were incredibly friendly and helpful and always ensured that you were having a good time. The resort makes everything easy on you by providing a shuttle service to and from the airport for a small fee and even their own travel agency in the resort to book excursions. The resort had a very nice market to purchase groceries and a gift shop with everything you would need. The swim up bar was a nice feature and you can even get food delivered right to your beach spot. The rooms were beautiful as well and have a mini fridge stocked with drinks each day. Each room had a balcony with a view of the beach or pool. The maid service here was excellent.

A few negative things. One downfall about this resort was that it is mainly a timeshare resort. What I mean by this is that there is lots of older couples and families here for weeks on end enjoying their time share. There is barely any young people to hang out with and meet, and absolutely no night life in the resort. At about 9pm each night at the resort the place is silent and everyone is in their room. If you want to do anything past this hour it is best to go downtown to the party center. Since the resort is mainly a timeshare resort, I feel that at times the staff here only caters to the members, and not the people who are here on the all inclusive fee. For example when going to the restaurant La Verdana, there were multiple times were my boyfriend and I would ask if we could eat off the al la carte menu, and the staff would only say it was buffet style. However when we would sit down all the members around us had these big beautiful meals they ordered off the menu. The wait staff at La Verdana too seemed to only care about the members too because that's were they would get their tips from. The would blatantly ignore you and only take care of the members. I'm not saying this was the whole staff, but a good majority of it. Overall the hotel is a great place to visit and I would highly recommend it to people, just not young couples such as us trying to have fun.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2013

Stayed in the Royal sands, great place slightly expensive only because Five minutes on a bus gets you a meal under five dollars. I did party at the bars and ate at all the reastruants in the facility they are well ran very clean and comfortable. I did also use the Thomas Moore agency to book some trips and events which also worked out well. If your here, for sure take the trip to Talum for the zip line and snorkel experience in the sink holes near and around Talum, it is right out of national geografic movie with a family fun twist, even if your an experienced diver like myself it was a great. Also the dive shop guys are great, the wreck dive was amazing in about 90 ft of water and the caverns are really cool, huge baracudas, fish crabs , all fun to see. But also go to Centro! Eat a real. Taco and shop at market 23 where you will find the locals who are happy to see you there. Its safe and very inexpensive,...eat at the little reastraunts and enjoy,but GET OUT OF YOUR HOTEL FIRST! Explore,...enjoy..

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Mitch S
Cristóbal G, Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review your stay with us. We really hope you enjoyed your vacation and look forward to welcome you again in Mexican Caribbean

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

We own in Cancun, but have not been back for 5 years after having gone every year for 16 or 17 years. Accompanying my wife and I were: our Son, his wife, my daughter and my grandson (3 3/4 yrs old), 6 bodies in all. It was the best most relaxing vacation we had ever had. We actually left the premises only once during our stay the weather was perfect. The rooms and common area's are immaculate, as always. We tried the "all inclusive" which was $95 per day and included all food, alcoholic beverages, tips etc. While having the mini bar stocked with beer and soda, is a nice touch, we did most of our drinking by the pool (starting in the morning) and in the restaurants during meals, While the food could have been more seasoned, we enjoyed they variety of restaurants.
The pool is magnificent as well as the Caribbean ocean; seemed much calmer then in the past. Housekeeping was terrific supplying us with extra towels when we needed. My family just had a wonderful relaxing time.

Room Tip: They only have good rooms, We were able to get a penthouse for the week. Try to say in section 1
2  Thank IraC24
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This was our first trip to Cancun ever and we took it over New Year's. I took a lot of time to do the research to find the right place for our family. My kids are all over 21 and so it was important to find a place that would meet as many needs or requests as possible, and be close enough to other things that would meet the remaining requests. I am pleased that my travel agent, Harold's travel in Sioux Falls, SD, recommended the Royal Sands as we were not disappointed at all. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The resort was unbelievably clean and the beach followed suit as well. Antonio, our concierge, made many of food reservations, while our resort promoter Horacio helped us with many of the other items. Horacio even went above and beyond and pushed my youngest son's wheelchair (he had surgery) through Playa de Carmen while showing us around after our tour of the Royal Haciendas. My entire family was impressed with not only Horacio, but the entire wait staff. The only issue we had is that we didn't eat and drink enough to meet our cash outlay for the all-inclusive package. When we go back, I don't think we'll be buying the AI package again. I wouldn't hesitate one bit in recommending the Royal Sands or the Haciendas for a great Cancun getaway! Thanks everyone!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ToddHeitkamp
Cristóbal G, Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Guest,
We really appreciate the time you take to review our services.

We’re glad to know our effort leads us in the right direction and you found our resort to fulfill all your needs. We’ll make sure to praise Antonio and Horacio on your behalf.

We’re looking forward for the next opportunity to receive you and give you the service you deserve.

Warm regards.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We had a full villa on the top floor. The view was lovely, the beach and pools were immaculate. The staff is friendly and go out of their way to make you feel at home. The location is great and the shuttle service to the other Royal Properties gives you additional options for restaurants and beach/pool amenities. You can walk to Kukulkan Mall. A bus can be taken into town for 8 and a half pesos. Don't forget to try a Banana Monkey! Yummy with chips and salsa. Going back next year.

Room Tip: Balconies on the South side are shady all day whereas the north side is sunny all day. Villa have 2...
2  Thank RICHARD E

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to review your stay with us. We really hope you enjoyed our vacation and look forward to receive you next time you visit Mexican Caribbean.
Warm Regards.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

I decided to spend the christmas and new year's holiday with my children and grandchildren and nieces and nephews. 3 of us at Royal Sands resort in Cancun. I had my trepidations and worries about the outcome but, as it turned out, it was the best vacation of my life. It felt like we were on a cxruise ship, all inclusive, good food everywhere, great service, good clean rooms, kids club, babny sitters, exercise, etc. etc. I highly recommend this experience to whomever is looking for a relaxed, leisurely vacation.

Room Tip: all rooms have an exellent view. closer to the lobby is best.
2  Thank Boogie1948
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We booked the all inclusive option for our stay. I was disappointed with the restaurant options as there were really only 2 on site (not including bars)one of which was a buffet most of the time. Service was extremely slow at times, most likely due to the change to all inclusive. I noticed others were not tipping much and from my experience this is necessary to get speedy service, and it seemed to make a difference most of the time. Hats off to Arturo and Pedro by the pool:). The rooms were clean but seemed a little dated. The views were spectacular! The pool was great but I would have liked to see more pool activities for teens and tweens. My biggest complaint is that your room card was required in addition to the all inclusive bracelet. Seemed like overkill and most likely contributed to the slow service. I most likely would not choose to stay here again.

7  Thank kct1