New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Yalmakan

Hotel Yalmakan
Ranked #139 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Excellent value for the money!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Let me start by saying that I went during the peak of Spring Break. For the money it is hard to beat. We spent a little less than $100 a day/person and that included air (from Ft Lauderdale,FL). I was a little hesitant reading the reviews but was happy overall with the hotel. I have been to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen 4 times in just over a year and already booked to go to the area in May.

First the hotel. Yes it is dated and could use some simple upgrades. For example the elevators both worked but the buttons in both had some parts missing. It was clean and the workers were always tending to the grounds or they were painting areas. The hallways are all tile and being near the elevators did not help. Did I mention it was Spring Break? Drunk college kids pounding on doors in the middle of the night.

Pool area. They try to get some games and stuff going but it is not the best other than volleyball in the pool. The net is worn and ripped. How hard is it to replace it? There is plenty of space to put more chairs on the deck and beach but they don't. The chairs are fairly worn and could use some attention. There was no issues getting a chair early in the morning as most kids were sleeping off the night prior. Almost forgot the pool water is cool not bad once your in but almost like it is chilled.

Bars. The guy at the pool bar almost never turns around to the pool side to serve. Even with tipping. The one bartender tried to take the tip money and had the gall to ask for more and refused to serve until he found out it was my tip to him and not the college kid who pushed it over to him. Cheapest of alcohol but that is to be expected. Beer was cold and they did make many different types of drinks.

Beach. The NICEST part of the hotel zone. Water is beautiful and they will put an umbrella out for you if you ask. Even had a guy walking around willing to bring you a drink from the pool.

Food. The food is about what you would expect from a buffet style. There was always someone on the grill to make eggs or meats at lunch and dinner. The Mediteraneo restraunt is worth going to. We went to Outback one night and the steak at the resort was 10 times better. It was above our expectations.

Entertainment. It was not the greatest but not bad either. Traveling dance shows that go from one hotel to the next.

Overall - It was pretty much what I expected. I would not go during Spring Break again but I would take the family there for an inexpensive getaway. I don't expect the Ritz Carlton when I pay for a Days Inn.

Room Tip: We had two rooms and gave teh girl at the desk $10. She moved us to adjoining rooms and One had a su...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wherewegoing2next

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Dexter, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Bellevue Beach Paradise was a clean hotel and the staff was helpful and courteous. The hotel itself needs a lot of updating. If you are looking for a 5 star or more amenities this is not the place for you.
We had a save in our room that was not bolted down and was small enough to carry away. The bathroom door and sliding glass door to balcony were very hard to close. And the closet door was a little busted up. Like I said it needs a lot of updates. The location is on the main strip of "hotel row" but still far from all the shops and malls for me.
The food was good, not complaints there and we had maid service and fresh towels daily. Marcelo at the bar was great!
All in all it was average.

Room Tip: Tipping always helps and bus rides are cheap. I would also recommend the Sea Passion Snorkel party c...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank melbe262
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We had an ocean view room w/2 double beds. The beds were hard but not complaining because we spent very little time in our room. Room was very clean (no bugs). The beach was really beautiful but if you are looking for an umbrella you have to get there by 7am to reserve one. We never made it there that early so hung out by the pool. Some of the chairs were broken but we didnt care because we just wanted to suntan and have cocktails. Jorge was a great server and kept bringing us drinks (tipping helps) without me even asking. He was very attentive. Food was ok. We ate twice at the Mediteraneo which was nice. The chautebriand is pretty good. I would definately recommend this hotel if you are looking for someplace thats not expensive but is clean and has all the other things you look for in an all inclusive property in Cancun. If you are looking for fancy this is not the place.for you.

Room Tip: Get to the beach by 7am if you want to get an umbrella.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank imrose
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

The best vacation of my life!!! This trip had it all such as variety of bars, nice beach, nice pool area, great activities, friendly mexicans workers. They keep the place clean, always something to eat and last but not least 2 men really made this trip better than average. Tavo and Raoul!!! They make your day fun with great activities, they plan your night by bringing you to the clubs. They provide you with the best tables in the house and bottle service all night. Incredible and funny guys. As long as they work there, I will be go back at least once a year. Great job buddies!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marc M
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

BelleVue Beach Paradise was my first all inclusive resort and I had a blast.
I have heard some horror stories of people getting sick from the food or the water, but the food was half decent and I didn't get sick once.
The staff was incredible! Tavo and Raul were the most helpful and fun employees at the resort. They were good at including everyone and getting everyone involved in the pool side activities. They took such good care of me. They organized the parties to the clubs and made sure that everyone got home safely. I couldn't be more indebt to Tavo as when I was separated from my friends, he walked me to the bus after the club and made sure I got home safe to the hotel. They were such great friendly people. I can't wait to return for Spring Break 2013!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank PatMOntario_Canada
Lytham St Annes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

This was probably one of the best holidays me and my wife have had so far:
The booking in process was quick and painless with a quick summary of what where and when thrown in.
The food was plentiful and varied and a trip to the Mediterranean Restaurant is a must. the staff were all helpful and friendly, with special mentions for Blas, Armand, Areli and Luis.
The rooms although basic and a little tired looking were cleaned daily and towels and toiletries replaced at the same time.
The beach was for me a little difficult to access (I walk with a stick) down about 30 steps, but my wife had to be dragged off most days.
The evening entertainment was varied and very professional with a number of themes such as Pre Hispanic, Mayan and Mexican. All in all a brilliant deal for the money

Room Tip: We were offered an upgrade free of charge to studio from sea view. My advice is take it
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dodger111
Cowley, WY, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We just returned from this resort and we had a wonderful time. We did not choose this hotel but rather, agreed to meet friends there and honestly, we were pleasantly surprised.

Yes, it’s true, this hotel is older but has been kept up nicely. We had a very nice mini suite with an ocean view. The room was immaculate and we always had plenty of towels.

We go to Mexico every winter and our requirements are pretty simple:

Nice beach
Clean room
Great staff
Decent food

And the Bellevue met every requirement!

Bus stops right out front for trips to town or to Playa Tortuga to catch the ferry to Isla Mujeres and is less than a dollar each way.

Lots of outdoor space with chairs, tables and loungers.

The Staff…I have stayed at some of the most expensive hotels around the world and NEVER, had a better, more friendly or more efficient staff. These were some really great people who made our stay extra special. From Gris & Alberto at the front desk, to our room attendant Cathy, to Zaydee at the travel desk and our waiters Jamie, Jorge and all the others, they always remembered your name and could not do enough for you.

For the price, this hotel is the best bargain out there. You will enjoy yourself!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view with a balcony (they will gladly accommodate you if they are not booked full.)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple