“Lovely hotel!”

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #44 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Me and my partner stayed here in December 2011 for my 21st birthday for 2 weeks. It was a really lovely hotel, staff were great, drinks were good, room was always clean and we ended up with the biggest balcony the hotel has to offer which was brilliant! It even had its own sun beds. The beach was clean, someone raked the sea weed everyday to keep it looking good. Restaurants were good, my favourite was the Mexican a la carte. Although the other two a la cartes aren't as great. The main buffet has a variety of meals, some are served every night but there is also a few meals served that are different. The location is not too bad. Ideally would have been better located more in the centre, but we knew that before we went. Only down side to the hotel would be that they didn't do anything for my birthday despite them knowing it was a special one, there was also a load of wasps which can be annoying when you are trying to sun bathe or go the bar, they were crawling all over the drinks machines, but I suppose that can't really be helped due to the heat. Overall we had a brilliant time and would return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katies1522016

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We arrived at Barcelo Costa Cancun and as we pulled up we could immediately tell that the hotel was old, dirty and clearly NOWHERE near 4 stars. The check in was slow and the desk staff was rude and slow. After travelling 12 hours, you would expect that they might smile and move quickly to get you settled in. Nope. They just fiddled around, went into the back, stared at the computer and eventually handed us a room key. The lobby is small and swarming with Time Share salespeople waiting to poach on you under the pretense that they will show you around. When the desk clerk gave us the key it came with a packet of excursion information but no info on the services, restaurants or offerings at the hotel. We have traveled to many All Inclusive Resorts in Cancun and Riviera Maya so we have a benchmark for the appearance and services that should be offered by a 4 star resort. We went up to the room in the tiny, oppressively hot elevator and wow...the room was filthy and smelled of mildew and odor from excessive condensation. The sheets and towels were grey and dingy. There was no air conditioning and the humidity from an open door meant that the the floor was slippery and everything was covered with a glaze of water. The balcony was only big enough to accomodate two people standing up, not big enough for a chair, only about 18 inches wide. So much for sitting on the balcony!

When we realized that this was not a way we wanted to spend our 7 days in Mexico, I immediately engaged our Tour Rep (Funjet/Lomas Travel) who was tucked away on the second floor so that the time-share sales people can have the prime real estate in the lobby. I told him that we were not satisfied and that we wanted to explore options of moving hotels. He said that he would meet me the next morning to tell me what options we had. He was EXTREMELY helpful. He saved our vacation!

I guess we were willing to overlook some of the disappointments until the next several hours events, FOOD POISONING and THEFT. Of course, a resort cannot control the behavior of the guests, but how they handle a problem is within their control. My son was up all night from the food he ate at the seafood restaurant. He ordered the crepes with Ricotta cheese and yikes! Bathroom every 20 minutes all night long! Forgot one thing...we asked for a cot. The desk said that they would bring it right up. After 3 hours and 6 calls, someone finally brought up a cot. So, during the 30 minutes we tried to enjoy the tiny pool area, we turned our back and our sunscreen was swiped. Could have been a mistake, certainly, but keep in mind that the cheapest sunscreen in the hotel store is $35 US dollars! We mentioned this to the management and they could have cared less. Sorry but vacation should not mean having to monitor your suncreen at all times. Another HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT was the "beach"-what a joke. The photos of the so called beach are engineered so it looks nice. It's a small patch of dirty sand, that's it. Its the worst beach I have ever seen in Mexico or anywhere for that matter.

So, if you have booked this hotel, do yourself a favor and book elsewhere. There are so many better places for the same price or just a little bit more. By noon the second day we were out of there and went to the Riu Caribe which was awesome. It exceeded our expectations! We had an amazing vacation in spite of the awful start!

I felt really strongly about writing this because if this review can save one family, who no doubt works hard 51 weeks a year to enjoy one week of vacation, from this awful experience, then I will be happy.

We affectionatley named the Barcelo the "Bar H*** Hole"

Sorry but although I believe that if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, I would feel awful if another family wasted $5,000 and experienced a week of misery.

One more thing, the hotel is so crowded, there is no quiet place within the complex, day or night.

Bail while you can!!!!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5th floor. It was dirty, the AC didn't work and it was noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank staylormadison
Reviewed 28 March 2012

First time in Cancun & booked very last minute. Took my two teenage children to this resort as I was told it was family oriented. It was not - dont get me wrong - resort was nice, staff very friendly, food was enjoyable but it is definitely for the under 30 crowd. Also beach was not that great as the resort is located by the harbor so boats are going in & our all day,

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary O
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The week we spent here for spring break was amazing. The staff was very friendly, food and drinks were great, good atmosphere. The reason for the lower rating was our air conditioner only worked for one of the six nights we were there, and the beds were very uncomfortable. We reported it and it would be fixed for maybe a couple hours until it would break again. I would probably stay here again though as other than the A/C we had a great time. View and room were beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort in March of 2012. This was my first time to Cancun and was surprised by how much it is like Las Vegas with the huge resorts and clubs. We did lots of research when choosing where to stay and as I had stayed at another Barcelo resort in Cuba and it was great. However, I would say we were disappointed with this resort.

First negative was that our room had no hot water for showers or even in the sink--this made showering a little bit tricky. We had to run the water for about 15 minutes before it got luke warm and then we would quickly shower. Another negative had to do with our safe in our room. We kept most of our expensive belongings in the safe and on the third day we got a safe "error" and were unable to open it. We called the front desk and someone came to fix it.

The actual hotel grounds are quite nice and fairly well maintained. However there are only 2 bars at the resort and no swim up bar. Due to the number of teens here, there is a definite need for another bar. We often had to wait 5+ minutes to get a drink, especially at night which would take forever. With that being said, we found the resort was a "party place" filled with tons of students looking to get loaded. As we were here for a getaway and break, we would have enjoyed somewhere less busy and a little quieter. Though we were on the fourth floor away from the lobby we were woken up at least once a night with kids returning from the bars.

Beach was nice but again very very small. Some days we had to search high and low to find 2 chairs which was annoying. The swimming also is very small. I would love to have had a bigger beach with more chairs.

The mexican a la carte restaurant was great; we went their twice during our stay and enjoyed our night and meals there. For the most part, the buffet was repetitve and very little selection. I would highly recommend using all 3 of your a la cartes and trying a few restaurants off the resort.

I hate reading reviews where people have nothing positive to say and is filled with complaining but I would not recommend this resort for many reasons. However if you are looking for somewhere to party and drink, this would be a great fit for you. I would not recommend the resort if you are looking for a place to relax and getaway for a week--it is more suited to students who want to party and get wild. We would not return to this resort..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren10122
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I just got back from a Spring Break trip and we stayed at Barcelo. It was my first time in Mexico and I had a blast! After reading some of these reviews, I was a little worried about the hotel, but it was beautiful! The food was pretty good and the drinks were great, although I found that the bar on the beach made drinks a little better. The only downside was the elevators weren't working, and carrying three heavy bags to the 7th floor sucked. And if you're looking to party, Barcelo is a little far from the night life and the hotel itself shuts down around 11.

If you travel here, just make sure to know the money conversion, we had trouble with over charging on the bus and at one night club. Just be careful.

But as far as the hotel goes, the staff was friendly and so were the guests. We all had a great time! I almost didn't want to leave but I'll definitely be going back.

Room Tip: The AC unit was a little loud on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2012

was a little worried about some reviews and i know better than to do this as you really need to make your own fun. We arrived and i asked about an upgrade as we were to be in a superior room their lowest class we were immediately given a pool view without any haggling it was awesome as i did see the superior and they are small. We were on the seventh floor downfall our elevator broke almost immediate on arriving and never was fixed the 9 days we were there we could take another elevator to 6th floor and then walk the stairs no not a Hugh problem. If you do not like spring breakers this would NOT be the hotel for you during that time frame. They have a 24hr bar self serve open i really think they should close it down and have food available and perhaps a coffee shop like the park royals do this would save security a lot of headaches. I was told by Mangers that the general public would be upset and my thoughts were if you can't get enough to drink by midnight perhaps you should check into treatment, and i am from WI were we like to party. They do also have fridges in each room you could certainly buy your own and have it all night this caused many brawls and i was uncomfortable going to the food late night when my blood sugars were low because the kids were so intoxicated. ( i am diabetic and needed food one of the nights) We would go back for our Dec trip but would not choose this hotel again during spring break just because of this the kids are knocking on the wrong doors the girl next to us was well lets just say there was a line at her door and walls are paper thin so we heard it all. Again security did ask her to shut up but it lasted a few minutes and a new guy was standing there waiting his turn.if they shut down this 24hr bar it really would make this hotel much nicer i am not a prude but it really caused a lot of headaches for all. the pool and beach are awesome as well as the 3 ala carte restaurants. It is a cab or bus fare to anywhere it is not downtown or in walking distance this did not bother us but 15 american to go to any of the malls or shopping. it is next to the port to go ti Isal Mujers and we did do that but again we would not next time same things as Cancun just 17pp to get there and see that. I think the staff works really hard and everyone was helpful you have to pay for WIFI which i never had to do the last 6 places we stayed in playa or cancun they get you for $14 a day outrageous 6 for 30 min on the computer this really upset us as we never pay for WiFi anymore and i heard other complaints on this people who said they would not come back because of it. Also the spa is another joke for prices they were Chicago or new york prices again every hotel i have ever stayed in they were around 25 American nothing less than 80 a mens haircut 30 crazy and no one was using it the entire time we were there. we did have their professional photo people do our pics they told me 50 for the disc then we did it and it was 340 we said no and they came down to 200 we took it but the real charges 50 for your entire disk another ripoff.again we would stay again but cautiously.

Room Tip: do not get a superior you will be disappointed
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple